Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why TUF shouldn't go anywhere?

Print  
Do you feel TUF has run its course?
No...keep the shows coming 42 75%
Yes, I'm bored with the show 8 14%
On the Fence 6 11%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I just finished reading the article Enough TUF on Sherdog http://sherdog.com/news/articles/enough-tuf-16787

I would just like to say that I hope TUF stays around for a long time because for one it is the only tournament format outlet the UFC currently employs, which I find to be very entertaining watching fighters knock each other off. Also the reality show really gets you emotionally invested in these fighters (love'em or hate'em). It has obviously been the primary vehicle for the increase in MMA popularity, in the US at least. Shows like Survivor and Big Brother manage to keep pumping out shows every year and their contestants generally fade away or merely show up on some reunion show...The TUF "stars" continue to grow well after the show ends and for the most part we get to see that by way of their fights.

I've heard Dana mention that he believes TUF only has a few more seasons left in it...well I disagree...as the sports popularity increases new fans will want to watch the newest fighters as the fight their way into the UFC...

Post #1   3/30/09 6:54:02PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:

Posted by sclasclemski

I just finished reading the article Enough TUF on Sherdog http://sherdog.com/news/articles/enough-tuf-16787

I would just like to say that I hope TUF stays around for a long time because for one it is the only tournament format outlet the UFC currently employs, which I find to be very entertaining watching fighters knock each other off. Also the reality show really gets you emotionally invested in these fighters (love'em or hate'em). It has obviously been the primary vehicle for the increase in MMA popularity, in the US at least. Shows like Survivor and Big Brother manage to keep pumping out shows every year and their contestants generally fade away or merely show up on some reunion show...The TUF "stars" continue to grow well after the show ends and for the most part we get to see that by way of their fights.

I've heard Dana mention that he believes TUF only has a few more seasons left in it...well I disagree...as the sports popularity increases new fans will want to watch the newest fighters as the fight their way into the UFC...

the only thing is that the talent pool is running out, i love the show completely but some of the seasons where terrible like the one where mac danzig won, i wasnt too impressed by season 7. i like the way this up coming season has the US vs UK. they added the fight to get into the house format which is cool but like i said the talent pool is running out, each season the fighters to me have been getting worse. and there has been one dominate fighter through out the entire series.

Last edited 3/30/09 7:31PM server time by the_ho_bag
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   3/30/09 7:08:58PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,636-1,440
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

Posted by sclasclemski

the only thing is that the talent pool is running out, i love the show completely but some of the seasons where terrible like the one where mac danzig won, i wasnt too impressed by season 7. i like the way this up coming season has the US vs UK. they added the fight to get into the house format which is cool but like i said the talent pool is running out, the each season the fighters to me have been getting worse. and there has been one dominate fighter through out then entire series.

On all points. I love the show, but its gotta end at some point, the champions are starting to get to be mid-level to low-level guys.

I would love to see them continue, but make the seasons farther in between. It would give the mma game time to produce some more young stars which the ufc can mold into champions ala Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans.

Post #3   3/30/09 7:27:06PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

Posted by sclasclemski

the only thing is that the talent pool is running out, i love the show completely but some of the seasons where terrible like the one where mac danzig won, i wasnt too impressed by season 7. i like the way this up coming season has the US vs UK. they added the fight to get into the house format which is cool but like i said the talent pool is running out, the each season the fighters to me have been getting worse. and there has been one dominate fighter through out then entire series.

On all points. I love the show, but its gotta end at some point, the champions are starting to get to be mid-level to low-level guys.

I would love to see them continue, but make the seasons farther in between. It would give the mma game time to produce some more young stars which the ufc can mold into champions ala Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans.

i def can agree with spreading it out, it gives fighters more opportunities to gain more experience, and make the show the way it was like season 1 and 2 where there was competition, rather then one fighter dominate

Post #4   3/30/09 7:33:01PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
There are alot of good guys out there that could make that show great but they already fight for strike force MFC K1 Dream The contract keeps the top up and comers from siging on to do the show.

Post #5   3/30/09 7:33:50PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:

With Bellator and the japanese orgs it really presents an opportunity for these young fighters. The payoff for TUF is great if you do well. If not you will have a hard time winning over the people who wrote you off......If I'm a young guy just starting out I would rather get paid to cut my teeth with another org and then try to break into the big show.....

Post #6   3/30/09 7:49:54PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I agree with making the seasons farther apart...maybe one a year with two weight classes...I think making it more like the Japan Grand Prix would be great...

Post #7   3/30/09 7:51:50PM   

chitown97

Learning to Sprawl

chitown97 Avatar

Career:1,125-711
Chips:
I will always watch it despite how frustrated I get with the "real world" bullsh*t they throw in there. If they would focus more on training and showing how dedicated that someone has to be make it at that level, it will do more for the sport than anything.
Every fighter has a story, including what they are giving up to pursue a dream and that can be good television if that is what they are looking for. It doesn't have to be six meatheads peeing on each other after a couple drinks.
I like the US vs UK edition this time because it gives the average fan something to root for even if they don't know the fighter. That is what people often want...something or someone to root for.

Post #8   3/30/09 8:00:16PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I'd rather watch TUF than 95% of the shows on television, so absolutely--keep it going. I don't ever see the UFC abandoning TUF, unless they've concocted some new vehicle to introduce their upcoming fighters to fans.

Some of the recent shows have been lackluster in terms of talent, but last season was a complete turnaround. I think there's plenty of talent, the UFC just doesn't always choose fighters wisely--or they leave out guys they just don't think has the right personality. I think there's plenty of talent out there, and since the sport is growing there's going to be more talent available.

Post #9   3/30/09 8:45:46PM   

Kaem

Learning to Sprawl

Kaem Avatar

Career:1,362-745
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Yeh, I definitely say keep it going. While some of the talent on a couple recent seasons has been a bit suspect I blame the people who choose the fighters. I mean, there's got to be 16-20 up and commers out there per year. That being said, the season that featured fighters we've all seen before, trying to get back to the UFC was one of my top three seasons.

Post #10   3/30/09 8:57:56PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,588-1,883
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I think TUF would be better if they only did one season a year, that gives more for more talent to be found, and makes the show that much more important to diehards.

Post #11   3/30/09 9:41:07PM   

Violence108

Standup Guy

Violence108 Avatar

Career:629-417
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
i think it should keep going, TUF as had some great fighters come off it
Just to make Champions be coaches, please

Post #12   3/30/09 10:01:39PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
The talent pool is far from running dry. There are so many talented guys out there with non-exclusive contracts that it isn't even funny. I could rattle off a list of names at almost any weight class. I won't do it, but anyone who follows the underground will know exactly what I'm talking about.

The thing is- the UFC is now to the point that they're picking fighters with criteria other than what they can do in the cage. They want guys who will put on a good show and can have some longevity in the sport.

This is the problem I have with the UFC marketing the brand and not the fighters. The general public feels like the talent pool is running low, but all you have to do is go check out some lower to mid level shows and you'll see there's plenty of it out there. I'm not saying a guy can join TUF and take home the LHW belt the next day, but there are some good talents out there waiting to get an opportunity

Post #13   3/30/09 10:40:09PM   

Tein_Lung

Banned

Career:92-57
Chips:
i hate the seasons where they get the token loser... like with richie hightower... or get a fail boat of a coach like Shamrock...

the BJ vs Pulver season was one of the better seasons... they have had 7 or 8 seaons and less then half have been good, or something like that...

quality > quantity... and they need to stop the Junie Brownings... the show is about fighters getting into the UFC not about how much you can drink and how dumb you get when plastered... on the same token the Jokes of last season were great from the tombstone bed to peeing on his fruit because the other team were jerks and stealing it... however the jizz on the sushi was over the top...

Post #14   3/31/09 3:04:00AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
First off, the UFC is under a contract with Spike so until that runs its course, (still like 3 years left on it) I dont think there is anything to worry about. I think the program has a lot of flexibility. After that it might not be Spike but they will have something going, I think the format will change a bit.

Post #15   3/31/09 7:32:53AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2