Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC lightweight Roger Huerta waiting for the call to fight his "last fight"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
linkage

Popular UFC lightweight Roger Huerta - the first mixed martial artist to ever grace the cover of Sports Illustrated - hasn't been mentioned much in recent months.

After declining to renew his contract with the UFC in January, Huerta said in the most recent episode of HDNet's "Inside MMA" that he's been stuck waiting by the phone.

"To be honest I'm just waiting for that phone call," Huerta said.

Post #1   3/28/09 2:58:06PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
I never boarded the Huerta bandwagon, its not going to be a huge loss to MMA when he leaves. I dont think he'd of ever cracked the top 10 nevermind became a champion.

Post #2   3/28/09 3:31:40PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

I never boarded the Huerta bandwagon, its not going to be a huge loss to MMA when he leaves. I dont think he'd of ever cracked the top 10 nevermind became a champion.

on the first part.

I think there's an argument that can be made for him potentially reaching the top 10, but he's throwing that all away by leaving MMA now. He had a pretty decent wrestling base, he had plenty of heart, and he was obviously a tough guy. It's a shame to see him go, but if his idea of stardom lies outside of MMA, then more power to him and the sport will move on without him.

Post #3   3/28/09 3:41:31PM   

DaMaGeInC

MMA Regular

DaMaGeInC Avatar

Career:1,259-823
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
i think 145 would have been good for him

Post #4   3/28/09 5:01:05PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
well I like the guy, the way he fights is awesome but I'll live if he decides not to fight anymore but its like who are they going to have him fight, whats the point???

Post #5   3/28/09 5:25:16PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i bet ufc drags this till the fall or dec have him fight a tough guy like sherk or sanchez

Post #6   3/28/09 5:27:44PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
With all the top lightweights already signed for fights (florian penn, sanchez guida, sherk edgar, Griffin dos anjos, diaz stevenson, neer peligrino,) the only top fighter without a fight coming up is
Gray Maynard
If the ufc wants to send huerta packing with a loss put em in with maynard

would be a nice test for maynard before the top of the division

Post #7   3/28/09 5:44:38PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

I think he was already top 10 when he faced florian. Since then he's obviously fallen a couple notches, but considering his age, and natural abilities I think that to say he'd never be ranked a top 10 fighter for the rest of his career is overlooking a lot of things.

1. he's only 25
2. he's proven himself against some very stiff competition
3. is the only fight that forian hasn't finished since his loss to sherk
4. is very well rounded
5. has outstanding conditioning
6. fights with a lot of heart
7. fights very smart

He's fallen a few notches on my list since he's made this decision to drop out of mma and go to acting. I've lost respect for Cung Le and Couture for the same reasons so its nothing personal against Huerta, but I've lost a little more respect for him because I suspect that he'll come back to the ufc demanding an inflated contract when the ufc tries to go into mexico. It's almost disrespectful to the sport to take time off to pursue acting when the only reason you got the acting opportunities are because of your success in mma. Any fighter who is satisfied as an actor was not a fighter in the first place. If I were to take a guess as to what he is then it'd be fighter bashing so i'll keep my mouth shut... but either way its simply unfortunate

Post #8   3/28/09 5:50:24PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,796-965
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I thought he was a pretty good fighter, but I guess the money and fame is in acting? lol

El Matador...

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #9   3/28/09 5:55:19PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
I really enjoy watching Roger fight,but he's suffering from Brandon Vera syndrome right now.Before the fight with Florian,he thought he had the UFC by the balls and could demand whatever he wanted.That backfired on him.Now,seeing that the UFC is going to punish him for speaking out against them,he's looking to get out of the sport altogether.

But if the guy thinks he can make a living doing movies,more power to him.Tito Ortiz thought the same thing.

WB.

Post #10   3/28/09 6:48:51PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
I know that if I was half as pretty as he is I would definitly do my best to avoid being punched in the face.

Post #11   3/28/09 7:48:20PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Posted by Aaronno9

I think he was already top 10 when he faced florian. Since then he's obviously fallen a couple notches, but considering his age, and natural abilities I think that to say he'd never be ranked a top 10 fighter for the rest of his career is overlooking a lot of things.

1. he's only 25
4. is very well rounded
7. fights very smart

He's fallen a few notches on my list since he's made this decision to drop out of mma and go to acting. I've lost respect for Cung Le and Couture for the same reasons so its nothing personal against Huerta, but I've lost a little more respect for him because I suspect that he'll come back to the ufc demanding an inflated contract when the ufc tries to go into mexico. It's almost disrespectful to the sport to take time off to pursue acting when the only reason you got the acting opportunities are because of your success in mma. Any fighter who is satisfied as an actor was not a fighter in the first place. If I were to take a guess as to what he is then it'd be fighter bashing so i'll keep my mouth shut... but either way its simply unfortunate

I have doubts on your #2, #6, & #7.

But nonetheless i see what your saying

Post #12   3/28/09 8:03:22PM   

NeaRMisS

MMA Regular

Career:69-53
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Posted by Aaronno9

1. he's only 25
4. is very well rounded
7. fights very smart

I agree with you almost 100%. The thing is, the UFC looks at it like a slap in the face, so they are trying to make EVERYONE forget about him. Hell, I did for a moment. You have everything else being brought up and you over look him. Thats what the UFC will do, that way they can say look, we made you who we are, and we can take that away. Have fun with acting! Good luck trying to get a real contract after acting.

Post #13   3/28/09 8:15:11PM   

101proof

Learning to Sprawl

101proof Avatar

Career:96-60
Chips:
No big loss he was to cocky for a guy who was beating middle tier fighters then the first shot he gets at a top ten fighter he gets his ass beaten thank you Kenny Florian

Post #14   3/28/09 8:20:22PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
this guy is a warrior he comes to fight everytime he steps in the cage/ring. he is easily in the top 15 -20 in the world and has the potential to be top 10 one day. i just think the top lw's in the ufc like penn, sanchez, sherk would eat him up.

one more fighter who i think would eat him up is gray maynard and it might be a fight the ufc would put together to make gray a title contender.

Post #15   3/28/09 9:45:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2