Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Vancouver says not yet to MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Mixed martial arts isn't returning to Vancouver; at least not yet.

Council members voted against having the Vancouver Athletic Commission sanction MMA events Thursday. Instead it has asked the province to provide the sanctioning body for the sport just as it did in September 2007 when MMA became effectively banned in the city.

link

Post #1   3/27/09 7:54:15AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
Dont worry boys... i'm on my way back to vancouver in a few weeks and i'll see what I can do

Post #2   3/27/09 8:57:54AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,473-1,157
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Vancouver the only place on earth where it is better to be a gang member than it is to be a professional fighter. Go figure.

Last edited 3/27/09 12:58PM server time by Darnok
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   3/27/09 12:57:56PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,700-904
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Funny because its true.

Thats why I fly to Las Vegas to watch UFC...

They don't even have a good hockey team here lol.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #4   3/27/09 1:32:33PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Chips:
canucks have just set a record for winning 11 consecutive at home, are a shoe in for the playoffs and have a winning record against all the leagues top teams =P

Post #5   3/27/09 2:21:20PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,700-904
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Which will mean nothing when they get bounced in the first round of the playoffs yet again. (Or second round if they're lucky enough to make it passed the first)

They will then proceed to overpay the twins next year or lose them both to a team who is poor in talent, but rich. (for the cost of nothing)

Ohlund is also done in Vancouver, and he was Vancouver's stud on the blueline for the last like 5 years.

The team is only getting fixed if Wellwood, Pyatt, Bieksa and Kesler are shipped out of town... otherwise, the Canucks are destined for another 20 years of failure.

They should've just tanked all year to put Tavares with Hodgson, and the team might have been decent.

WHY DON'T THEY JUST BRING MMA TO VANCOUVER

Hurt

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #6   3/27/09 5:06:11PM   

bosanceros

MMA Regular

bosanceros Avatar

Career:588-301
Chips:
i dont know man im from vancouver and they were saying that they said no because of the olympics coming up and they didnt want a bad image or somthing......but mean while its looks like theres a gang war going on cause they are shotting at each other everyday......i dont know its pathetic i was so disapointed

Post #7   3/27/09 8:35:13PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Meh, cheaper for me to go to Vegas to watch a fight lol.

Post #8   3/27/09 8:41:40PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KaibaThedon

Which will mean nothing when they get bounced in the first round of the playoffs yet again. (Or second round if they're lucky enough to make it passed the first)

They will then proceed to overpay the twins next year or lose them both to a team who is poor in talent, but rich. (for the cost of nothing)

Ohlund is also done in Vancouver, and he was Vancouver's stud on the blueline for the last like 5 years.

The team is only getting fixed if Wellwood, Pyatt, Bieksa and Kesler are shipped out of town... otherwise, the Canucks are destined for another 20 years of failure.

They should've just tanked all year to put Tavares with Hodgson, and the team might have been decent.

WHY DON'T THEY JUST BRING MMA TO VANCOUVER

Hurt

The canucks have a winning record against all of their likely matches in the playoffs and have done exceedingly well against everyone in their conference

the twins are no longer being relied on as heavily because other players are starting to produce and there will be no need to overpay them

there is no sign that ohlund will be done, and even if he is, we have a strong and deep blue line

wellwood is one of the top value players on the canucks right now, bieksa is a cornerstone defenseman, the rest are debatable.. but we're certainly not desperate to get rid of them

no team should tank all year for any reason.. the fact that you said that makes me question the intelligence and intent in your post

My apologies to everyone else... about rambling on with the canucks.... i'm 2 weeks away from graduating and going back to vancouver with degree in hand and every intention to become involved in the process of lobbying for mma in vancouver

Post #9   3/27/09 9:59:54PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
perfect the next ufc will be in alberta........it's about fukin time.

don't get me wrong quebec deserved the first show and maybe the second but alberta deserves the third. i think most canadian fighters and fans know why.

Post #10   3/28/09 9:51:01PM