Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Concern grows over MMA officiating

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dave Meltzer's latest piece. Definately worth a read:

“[Kizer] knows my opinion,” said White. “He has no answer. He doesn’t want to hear from me.” “Steve Mazzagatti is a great referee,” said Kizer. White was critical of Mazzagatti for a late stoppage in the Dec. 27 fight with Cheick Kongo beating Mostapha Al-Turk, in a match in which both sustained low blows. “I’m going to tell the fighters they can turn down referees and it’s in their hands if they want a ref who may end up getting them hurt in a match,” said White, who noted that both Anthony Johnson and Randy Couture have turned down Mazzagatti to officiate recent matches when assigned. Until the day arrives in which mixed martial arts has enough top-notch referees to go around, such the ability to turn down a referee may be the fighter’s safest option.

LINK

Post #1   3/15/09 8:06:16AM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,554-892
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
Have Big John McCarthy officiate every fight lol

Post #2   3/15/09 10:09:48AM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
You raise an interesting point Solidus.... why do they need several refs per UFC event? Why not just cut refs who aren't performing... same way they cut fighters who aren't performing? If you switch to using just two refs per event, then you aren't stretched thin on quality refs. I mean I work 40 hours a week. UFC events run about 5 hours per event and occur about once a month. I know the refs need to be "fresh" so they can focus. But why can't two quality refs alternate reffing fights throughout a single event?

And hey if the bad reffing is ruining the sport then pay Big John McCarthy a six figure contract to come back. Money talks, I'm sure he'd go for that. Give refs bonuses for good reffing. Spending money like this is actually cheaper than having the sport ruined by bad reffing and then you gradually lose your audience and revenue.

Post #3   3/15/09 11:08:58AM   

ColonDiver

Learning to Sprawl

ColonDiver Avatar

Career:808-473
Camp: Colon Divers
Chips:
i didnt know fighters could turn down refs, i figured they might be able to but wasn't sure. All refs make mistakes and there has been a lot of new refs in the UFC, they should just keep a regular crew but w.e

Post #4   3/15/09 1:51:49PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Haha they turned down Mazagatti. I agree though that I don't think there need to be so many refs per event.

Post #5   3/15/09 1:57:37PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by Mayo

You raise an interesting point Solidus.... why do they need several refs per UFC event? Why not just cut refs who aren't performing... same way they cut fighters who aren't performing? If you switch to using just two refs per event, then you aren't stretched thin on quality refs. I mean I work 40 hours a week. UFC events run about 5 hours per event and occur about once a month. I know the refs need to be "fresh" so they can focus. But why can't two quality refs alternate reffing fights throughout a single event?

And hey if the bad reffing is ruining the sport then pay Big John McCarthy a six figure contract to come back. Money talks, I'm sure he'd go for that. Give refs bonuses for good reffing. Spending money like this is actually cheaper than having the sport ruined by bad reffing and then you gradually lose your audience and revenue.

the refs aren't on the UFC's payroll. They get hired and paid by the state athletic commission. The UFC can recommend refs, but they don't get to say who works their shows.

Post #6   3/15/09 2:06:33PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
let John McCarthy & Herb Dean do all the fights, problem solved

Post #7   3/15/09 2:26:43PM   

LakieMan

MMA Regular

LakieMan Avatar

Career:66-40
Chips:

Posted by Solidus

Have Big John McCarthy officiate every fight lol

Not a bad idea.lol

Post #8   3/15/09 3:04:24PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

i like herb, but he's had his fair share of bad stoppages too.

Post #9   3/15/09 5:33:42PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,622-883
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wolf

Posted by Bloodhound

Even though he's better than most, I think Herb Dean's problems are the point deductions he issued during the Marquardt/Leites fight and the way he catered to Filipovic in his fight against Gonzaga (which didn't work in the end ). I don't think stoppages have been his problem.

I actually think Yves Lavigne is a good referee too. He usually errs on the side of letting the fight go on instead of calling it early, and I think Sell/Brown was the first time he let the fight obviously continue well beyond the appropriate time to stop it. It's likely the Riley/Nelson stoppage earlier may have effected his judgment. His inability to see when a fighter is in danger on the ground (Hazelett/Sariava) seems to be well gone; he knows when to stand fighters up and break guys up.

Referees need a break. I'm sure it's hard to figure out the medium between "I know a fighter wants to be out before I call it" and "he can't recover; there needs to be an end."

(They should can Dan Miragliotti though. That guy needs to go. The Vera/Werdum fight, the Slice/Thompson fight, and the Herring eyepoke were all stupid.)

Post #10   3/15/09 6:30:37PM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
Big John and Herb Dean are by far the best in the business. Herb is a fighter himself and knows when a fighter is really hurt and when to let the fight play out a little longer. John is just simply the most exprienced and knowlegable ref in the game. Those two should start a school for Refs in MMA. That would solve all these problems and we'd never have to see Yves or Mazzagatti ever again.

Post #11   3/15/09 7:21:27PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Big john is number one for sure but I think Yamakski is second then Herb and what do all these guys have in common they train in martial arts. They know whats going on.

Post #12   3/15/09 8:48:24PM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
Personaly I like Yves alot to cause every ref has made a bad call or two but at least this guy has made few bad calls and when he does he one of the only refs who admits and appolgises when he screws up

Post #13   3/15/09 9:34:52PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MondayNiteMauser

Big John and Herb Dean are by far the best in the business. Herb is a fighter himself and knows when a fighter is really hurt and when to let the fight play out a little longer. John is just simply the most exprienced and knowlegable ref in the game. Those two should start a school for Refs in MMA. That would solve all these problems and we'd never have to see Yves or Mazzagatti ever again.

Big John already has a school for refs. The problem is Texas is the only state that will pay to send its refs to a school like that. Most other refs won't pay that themselves.

Post #14   3/16/09 9:45:54AM   

Tein_Lung

Banned

Career:92-57
Chips:

Posted by Wolf

Posted by Bloodhound

so has Big John... but people just tend to forget them because they were 10 years ago for the most part

Post #15   3/16/09 10:59:36PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2