Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Spike's Deadliest Warrior

Print  
Worth Watching?
Looks awesome 31 47%
Looks ok 18 27%
Looks kinda dumb 4 6%
Looks like a waste of time 3 5%
jakeiceman only noticed it because Liddell is in it 10 15%
  Page 8 of 9   <<   5     6     7     8     9  
Posted By Message

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I'm sorry, but Spetznaz would be absolutely demolished by Green Berets. There is no military on this earth more advanced, better equipped, or better trained than the U.S. People can try to convince you of it all day long, but it just isn't. If there was one more advanced (specifically- Russia's spetznaz) they would have kicked the **** out of the mujahideen in Afghanistan and then smoked us in the cold war. They didn't, though. Instead they got bogged down underfunded and ill-equipped by their own nation, and eventually outclassed by a bunch of dudes in sandals with rickety Vietnam-era weapons.

Flame away if you want.

Well I enjoy the show but I agree Spetnaz wouldn't beat a team of Green Berets. There is so many things the didn't or couldn't have taken in to account. Like Body armor, air strikes, radio communication, artillery, and tactics. Those things are major part of US battle tactics. For one when the US encountered hostile forces in a small building they would have backed out and took the hole building down or used well placed Artillery strikes to meet their goal not charged head first and breaking off from the main group. This is one major issue I have with this show the other is some of the experts they use aren't what I would call true experts.

Post #106   5/14/09 2:31:51AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Chips:
On a side note hippysmacker it would make for a fun show but Svartorm is right Delta guys would kill SEALs. I grew up on military bases most of my life. This is because my dad was a trainer for special forces. He trained SEALs, Delta, Green Berets, FBI, CIA, and some others I cant even think of right now in CQB and survival training. The Delta guys were by far the best I have ever seen at it. What a lot of people don't know is before you even get to be in Delta Force you must sign up but that doesn't even mean you will get to try out. The ones they let try out they put them through rougher training than the seals have and have a very high drop out rate and if you manage to make it to the end still doesn't mean you have been excepted. If you are excepted you get the joys of going through 6 more months of hardcore training (They have even a higher drop out rate here) that's even worse than the tryouts and that still barely covers all the stuff you have to learn.

Post #107   5/14/09 2:54:27AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,873-1,070
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Jackelope

I'm sorry, but Spetznaz would be absolutely demolished by Green Berets. There is no military on this earth more advanced, better equipped, or better trained than the U.S. People can try to convince you of it all day long, but it just isn't. If there was one more advanced (specifically- Russia's spetznaz) they would have kicked the **** out of the mujahideen in Afghanistan and then smoked us in the cold war. They didn't, though. Instead they got bogged down underfunded and ill-equipped by their own nation, and eventually outclassed by a bunch of dudes in sandals with rickety Vietnam-era weapons.

Flame away if you want.

While I always cheer against the US, I didn't think the Spetsnaz would win, but I'm happy. Anyone have a link? I was playing hockey.

... see. This is why we should annex Canada.

Post #108   5/14/09 3:07:21AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

... see. This is why we should annex Canada.

Lol. How about Delta vs JTF2. I think we should get in on this.

Post #109   5/14/09 3:26:29AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,478-860
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Spetz VS Green Berets was a pretty good episode I thought.
I had one major flaw with it though.

When using the hand guns they used night vision goggles.
I'm not a military expert,but wouldn't both teams have their own goggles to use?
They never even mentioned this.
They made the soldiers slap a pair on and never even delved into the subject of how different each units NVG would enhance or hamper them.

Are the NVG pretty much just universal?
I would think the Russians and Americans would have their own standards for them.

Last edited 5/14/09 8:58AM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #110   5/14/09 8:55:53AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Spetz VS Green Berets was a pretty good episode I thought.
I had one major flaw with it though.

When using the hand guns they used night vision goggles.
I'm not a military expert,but wouldn't both teams have their own goggles to use?
They never even mentioned this.
They made the soldiers slap a pair on and never even delved into the subject of how different each units NVG would enhance or hamper them.

Are the NVG pretty much just universal?
I would think the Russians and Americans would have their own standards for them.

The NVG's they were using were aviator NODs, and they're pretty much the best around in the U.S. military. It's what all spec ops use, unless they prefer PVS 14s (One-eyed variation) which you don't find many guys preferring over aviator NODs. We have quite a bit more access to night vision in the U.S. than other countries do just because we hvae a bigger budget for our military, but you'll find that a LOT of other militaries have access to the same night vision that we do. For a number of reasons.

I also agree that if you want to match "killing machines" up, a much better match would be Delta vs. Spetznaz. Delta's objectives are usally pretty clear cut- to kill or capture. They're only used in the rarest of instances. I had the pleasure of going after the No 2 HVT in Iraq with some Delta guys once, and man... let me tell you- those dudes are bad ass. My CSM was an 18 year Delta Force guy, 10 years of those spent on the President's 100. Those dudes are bad.

Green Berets are killing machines, don't get me wrong, but their objectives are generally based more around getting in with the local militias to spin them to our uses. There is no one better at their job. Just a few teams of Green Berets are responsible for nearly the entire taking of Afghanistan's capital. Delta is a force, Green Berets are force multipliers. That's something Spetznaz could never do with their attitudes

Last edited 5/14/09 9:32AM server time by Jackelope

Post #111   5/14/09 9:31:42AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
For point of reference, if anyone has ever seen Black Hawk Down, the two guys they drop off to defend the helicopter with the injured crew, Shughart and Gordon, were Delta Force snipers, and that scene was more or less realistic. They used all the ammo from their own rifles, sub-guns and sidearms, and were using militia guns against the guys they were fighting when they were killed. Supposedly they had a kill count into the hundreds between the two of them.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #112   5/14/09 11:53:07AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
This show gets more rediculous the longer it goes. The entire "simulation" is based solely on weaponry and nothing more. Its just 2 enemies standing face to face slugging it out.

At one point during the ending simulation it showed a Green Beret sticking his M4 2 feet into the room before he entered. There isnt a single special forces group in the world who are dumb enough to do that. Its just asking to be shot....

Post #113   5/14/09 3:17:18PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:
im very mad ab this episode

1st off why was it 7/4-favor of the Russia?

that guy who stuck his gun was stupid

the berets would own them in real life, not even cool

Post #114   5/14/09 3:52:56PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
M4a1(About 1.5 MOA,.....i believe) is about 10 times better than the AK74 Carbine(up to about 2.0 MOA)

The M24 has an MOA of .5 as compared to the Dragunov's range of 1.5-2.0 MOA?! That is sheer domination in terms of accuracy.

In terms of handguns, neither were better than eachother. It comes down to who is more proficient at using their sidearm rather than firepower.

Also the Mossberg Shotgun was not a usual offensive weapon. It was mainly used with BREACHING tactics alone. Plus it doenst jam like all these other Semi Auto Shotguns do very frequently....

Every tool the GB had was superior to everything the Spetznaz had...

Worst episode ever

Post #115   5/14/09 5:20:19PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Chips:
^^ lmao i agree it was cool bc of the grenades aha

Post #116   5/14/09 5:26:11PM   

phil

Learning to Sprawl

phil Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
those monks are insane!!!they kicked the crap out of the hawian or new zeland watever the hell they are called guys!!

Post #117   5/20/09 4:42:36PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
ok so I've noticed this in other episodes but last night was a little bit more noticible. anyone else see how the mauri warriors were getting the "edge" on weapons because they were "more deadly" than the monks? I mean they tested the monk staff on clay pots for speed and accuracy but allowed the mauri to test strength. I mean of course if the bigger guy swings the weapon theres going to be more force.

and to say the monks "wouldn't kill" with their staff is just astounding to me. I don't know if anyone else has trained traditional martial arts but I have 8 years of tae kwon do and a 2nd degree black belt to go along with it and I know that the monks staff is just as deadly as the mauri staff. I don't know why but the comment of the monks staff not being deadly really irked me.

The fact that the mauri put so much power into their technique and swing that if they missed with their weapon that the monk would have a giant target to hit with any of their weapons. don't get me wrong that jade club that crushed the bull skull obviously deserved the "edge" but the staffs should have been equal and the sharktooth club wouldn't have beaten a long reach weapon such as the whip chain as easily as they thought it might.

just had to get that out.

Last edited 5/20/09 5:48PM server time by papercut

Post #118   5/20/09 5:47:04PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Chips:

Posted by papercut

ok so I've noticed this in other episodes but last night was a little bit more noticible. anyone else see how the mauri warriors were getting the "edge" on weapons because they were "more deadly" than the monks? I mean they tested the monk staff on clay pots for speed and accuracy but allowed the mauri to test strength. I mean of course if the bigger guy swings the weapon theres going to be more force.

and to say the monks "wouldn't kill" with their staff is just astounding to me. I don't know if anyone else has trained traditional martial arts but I have 8 years of tae kwon do and a 2nd degree black belt to go along with it and I know that the monks staff is just as deadly as the mauri staff. I don't know why but the comment of the monks staff not being deadly really irked me.

The fact that the mauri put so much power into their technique and swing that if they missed with their weapon that the monk would have a giant target to hit with any of their weapons. don't get me wrong that jade club that crushed the bull skull obviously deserved the "edge" but the staffs should have been equal and the sharktooth club wouldn't have beaten a long reach weapon such as the whip chain as easily as they thought it might.

just had to get that out.

i felt the same but the Monks did win with their dagger-type things =)

Post #119   5/20/09 6:26:02PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
yeah and I'm suprised they did seeing as how only one of their weapons got the "edge"

Post #120   5/20/09 6:57:59PM   

Page 8 of 9   <<   5     6     7     8     9