Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Spike's Deadliest Warrior

Print  
Worth Watching?
Looks awesome 31 47%
Looks ok 18 27%
Looks kinda dumb 4 6%
Looks like a waste of time 3 5%
jakeiceman only noticed it because Liddell is in it 10 15%
  Page 6 of 9   <<   3     4     5     6     7     8     9  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Ahh, okay.. yeah it sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. I didn't know there were any other styles when it comes to east asian weaponry like that. It seems to me that the style I was referring to would be vastly superior just based on the cutting power alone. It's almost like those kinds of weapons are built to do just that. I know Miyamoto Musashi, who was arguably the greatest swordsman ever, used the progressive cutting style because you can clearly see it in his paintings. He wrote about how a stroke with the brush was just like a stroke with the sword, only on a smaller scale.

Its sort of like the difference between Tai Chi and a more combative TMA. Tai Chi can be used in an offensive way, but thats not really what its for. The traditional weapon styles are about the forms and movements, where as the stuff real Japanese sword fighters use is very much about cutting power and just moving the blade quickly as possible. Even though they're both sword forms, they're sort of apples and oranges in that way.

And Musashi was hands down the most dangerous swordfighter ever I think. There are a handful of people that know how to fight with his dual sword method, and while I've never seen any in action, I've heard from several swordfighters, some nationally ranked, that they're basically unbeatable.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #76   4/24/09 12:58:45AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:796-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I just watched spartans vs ninjas. It was pretty good. Im just about the watch the samurai vs viking now.

Post #77   4/24/09 7:50:21AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMA_Alex

Link

This is the video I was talking about (part 1 of 2). He does seem to have legitimate credentials and information on the subject.

Ok, I just watched the videos.

As to his claim about Michael Lehr not knowing Ninjitsu and editing his website to include it, I can't say. He clearly has martial arts training, so who knows.

As for the "peasants weren't ninja" thing, I haven't a clue. Could be legit.

As for the black eggs, I'd always heard they were filled with metal filing, so he could be spot on with that, as I have no clue when glass came to Japan. They had the ability to laquer objects though, so one would think they'd have glass-like substances.

As for his collection of swords, those are straight up Home Shopping Club weapons. No one in their right mind would use a serated sword, especially considering they had access to katana craftsmanship, which is by and far the greatest slicing weapon of all time. The technique to craft a katanas edge couldn't possibly be applied to a serated blade, and I'm not willing to believe ninja, a people whos job it was to kill effectively and silently, would use a sword that has inferior cutting power and is generally messier and more likely to catch on bone or clothing. Considering, as far as I know, theres only one document that even describes ninja swords, I'm not willing to believe that weapons isn't from someones imagination.

As for the guy himself in this video, several things bother me. Granted, I don't know this guy personally, and I will say hes clearly educated on ninjitsu lore and the language, but as a martial artists, I was not at all impressed with his movements.

For one thing, he had poor technique drawing and sheathing a sword. When demonstrating how to draw a ninjato, the blade was pulled out sideways, which is incorrect, and both times he went to sheath it, he didn't leave his thumb off the suba to guide the blade in. This is the mark of someone whos not used to handling bladed weapons.

Also, when demonstrating the various hooked weapons, he clearly displays "limp wrists". One thing people from EVERY martial arts field display are strong wrists, as no matter if you're doing grappling, weapons training or striking, you need strong wrists and grip, and you can tell by the way hes handling the admittedly heavy iron hooks that hes not used to doing so. His technique in handling the ninja claws is also awkward, once again displaying hes not confortable with the weapons and familiar with the technique, to the point of it being muscle memory. Lou Klein, who he says "Has no ninjitsu experience, and no martial arts experience whatsoever, as far a I can tell", is clearly the better martial artist of the two.

As a person, I find this guy to be a what I'd call a jock sniffer and an elitist. Hes clearly educated on theory and history, but doesn't display any ability whatsoever, and his comment about buying a ninja master "very expensive tea, that costs several hundred dollars", to be a very snotty. If you're buying someone a present, and truly mean it to be a gift from the heart, you don't brag to people about how much it costs. Thats shitty.

While this guy might be upset he wasn't invited on the show, the fact of the matter is, the only function the experts on the show serve is to actually use the weapons effectively, which this guy clearly wasn't able to do. He might be pissed he got snubbed or something, but Klein and Lehr are hands down, the better martial artists.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #78   4/25/09 12:46:16AM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:
i was pretty upset with this episode of the Knight vs pirate.

im pretty sure if you take a morningstar to the face your are done, but it was awesome how the blunderbuss took out the armor with ease.

i was pretty sure the knight would win but i guess the guns played a huge role.

im 2-2 so far loosing with the gladiator and knight

Post #79   4/29/09 3:45:05PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
It was a good episode, but the pirates had a bit of an unfair advantage being able to use grenades. A morning star will take you out, but a grenade is a whole different animal all together.

That and I think the crossbow was unfairly represented. Considering the pirate was able to have 4 loaded flintlock pistols, I don't see why the knight wasn't allowed to have more than one crossbow bolt. I was really impressed with the blunderbuss though, as I didn't think it was making it through the plate armor like that. Its sort of funny that plate armor has the same weakness for small, fast projectiles that bulletproof vests do.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #80   4/29/09 4:16:42PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Chips:
and the knight never used his halberd (sp/?)

the pirate took 2-3 MS hits and was still standing. that grenade was the difference make IMO , dropped him off his horse and made it advantage for the pirate

Post #81   4/29/09 5:45:48PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
In a test with 1,000 trials you would expect both the blunderbuss and the flintlock to misfire many times. Even a modern weapon like an AR-15 would be expected to misfire at least once or twice during that time. Don't even get me started on the AK-47 and its constant misfiring Especially when you consider the environments that the pirates' weapons are exposed to constantly. I don't think the fail factor OR the inaccuracy of the pirates' weapons was factored in properly at all.

More criticism-

I also agree that any shot from either the crossbow or the morningstar is a crippling shot. Pretty much no matter where it happens. Also, why not carry more bolts for the knight? We know that comparing the fail rate of a flintlock vs. that of a crossbow is laughable at best. For that matter, why not incorporate the knight's horse as a weapon considering that by history's accounts that was the knight's most devastating weapon for a number of reasons that I won't go into.

I like the show, but I'm beginning to grow even more disturbed by the terrible oversights constantly displayed. I'm not saying the pirate wouldn't stand a chance, but I think the mobility of a Knight on a horse coupled with his armor and the fail ratio of the flintlock/blunderbuss was not factored in properly at all. I would expect the fight to be 50/50 more than anything, with the grenados and ranged weapons giving a slight edge to the pirate.

Post #82   4/29/09 11:14:32PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I quit watching when the Viking lost....They never lose. Hope they have a highlander in the show someday.

Last edited 4/30/09 12:22AM server time by cmill21
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #83   4/30/09 12:22:02AM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Chips:
Cmil-Vikings did loose , didnt u see pathfinder =)

im interested int he next one. is it ***** vs yakuza(SP?)

Post #84   4/30/09 2:42:30PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
That one should be cool, although it looks like they've selected tire irons and baseball bats for close range weapons, which is a bit silly.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #85   4/30/09 2:47:00PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:796-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I like watching the show but im not reading into the tests. Theres always an advantage for one side. One thing that bugged me about the ninja and spartan was after the ninja threw the crushed glass in the spartans eyes, he managed to recover after like, 10 seconds. I just cant see that really happening.

Post #86   4/30/09 3:21:51PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

I like watching the show but im not reading into the tests. Theres always an advantage for one side. One thing that bugged me about the ninja and spartan was after the ninja threw the crushed glass in the spartans eyes, he managed to recover after like, 10 seconds. I just cant see that really happening.

yah that made me scream.

i really want to see William Wallace vs Shaka Zulu

Post #87   4/30/09 3:32:41PM   

Thefridge1337

MMA Regular

Thefridge1337 Avatar

Career:763-498
Chips:
Mafi@ vs Yakuza was kind of stupid i thought that the yakuza would win do to more technical training. The molotov cocktail part was dumb they throw it in a car with no windshield... that would happen so often in real life. I also didn't like that the yakuza didn't use a katana. I don't even think they took into consideration that most yakuza know martial arts.

Post #88   5/6/09 3:50:28PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Thefridge1337

Mafi@ vs Yakuza was kind of stupid i thought that the yakuza would win do to more technical training. The molotov cocktail part was dumb they throw it in a car with no windshield... that would happen so often in real life. I also didn't like that the yakuza didn't use a katana. I don't even think they took into consideration that most yakuza know martial arts.

Yeah no kidding.
They show the Katanna,but never put it to the test.
I was for sure they would have put it up against the baseball bat.

Post #89   5/6/09 4:29:20PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I think they left the katana out because they've already covered it. If you look at the tests though, the only weapons that made a difference were the sub-guns, as at least 90% of the kills were with that. Not the best episode, but it was at least entertaining, and seeing nunchuks not really work was great.

Next episode is Green Berets vs. Spetsnaz, which should be awesome.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #90   5/6/09 5:14:44PM   

Page 6 of 9   <<   3     4     5     6     7     8     9