Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Spike's Deadliest Warrior

Print  
Worth Watching?
Looks awesome 31 47%
Looks ok 18 27%
Looks kinda dumb 4 6%
Looks like a waste of time 3 5%
jakeiceman only noticed it because Liddell is in it 10 15%
  Page 5 of 9   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8   >>
Posted By Message

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by Rush
Second, if you are going to compare anything in a proper scientific manner you have to use the same tests. You cannot say one thing is better than the other by comparing two different results from two different tests.
:

Yeah that is pretty dumb. They compare two different weapons and the tests are completely different!? They use one weapon to cut through a body, then use another to smash things, then base their conclusion off of two %100 different tests.

Also, are they even factoring in any kind of tactics or terrain or any other variables like that or are they just basing the entire fight on weaponry?

There is just too much that they need to explain before anything from the show could be believeable

Post #61   4/18/09 11:08:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I see the show as an excuse to take weapons and cut up pieces of meat and bash fake heads.

I completely agree with almost everything you said. I've had the same thoughts myself and I think earlier in the thread I posted something to that effect.

Now, that being said.. the reason why I quoted the above is because this in itself is reason enough for me to watch the show

Also, always good to see you make a post

Post #62   4/18/09 12:22:19PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Spoilers!

I wasn't a fan of the Spartan vs. Ninja episode so much. The weapons didn't match up at all, and that young ninja representative was annoying as all hell. I did love when he hit the bronze plate with his kama and it just dented it, and that dude was brutal with his shield striking. I'm excited for next week, just because I want to see how a flintlock pistol does against plate armor. If it doesn't work, pirate is going to get ****** up.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #63   4/23/09 4:54:05PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,129-1,266
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
I'm really starting to like this show...the Apache guy was kind of annoying but that's been mty only complaint.

That jaw bone hatchet F'd that head up real bad! and I was suprised the damage done by the sling...

Ninja vs Spartan was ok...Viking vs Samaurai was sweet!

I am 2-1 so far on my predictions..

Next week I am going with the Knight...but guns kind of have me worried for my pick...but I don't think the pirates weapons will get through the armor.

Post #64   4/23/09 5:00:32PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I don't believe they will, but it all depends on how accurate the guy shooting is. If he can hit the softer spots consistantly, he could win. The thing is, the knights long range weapon appears to be a crossbow, and against an unarmored oppoenent like the pirate, its pretty well over for him. Just as accurate as that periods firearm but with no armor to stop it.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #65   4/23/09 5:10:28PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,129-1,266
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
I agree, that's pretty much how I see it.

I am looking forward to the ***** vs Yakuza episode..but the weapons will all probably be similiar.

Wonder how long until the have blood vs crip, and see who's more acurate while doing drive bys at different speeds.

Post #66   4/23/09 5:24:20PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Apparently, the "experts" on this show aren't experts at all and (at least for the Samurai and Ninja episodes) they apparently got a lot of things wrong (especially the ninja episode). I forgot what the username of the guy was, but if you look for the episodes on youtube, you'll find a guy who points out everything wrong about the two shows.

He also finds out that the two "ninjas" never actually trained in ninjitsu at all; one studied a bunch of martial arts and the other is actually just a voice actor who played a ninja in a video game once.

That being said, I still enjoy the show - I think I'll just have to accept things not being entirely correct and enjoy the battles and tests themselves. :P

Post #67   4/23/09 7:51:44PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
The little ninja dude seemed to have some technique, but the one with the weird hair (who I'm assuming was the voice actor) definitely could have used some more technique with his sword slash IMO. It was obvious he'd handled a sword before, but even in saying that his cut had hardly any progressive edge on it, and when you're talking about a weapon like a ninja's sword that progressive edge ups your cutting power immensely. In the hands of a skilled swordsman that pig carcass would have been toast in one shot.

I'm not so sure the Knight's armor will be able to take a shot from the flintlock. They'll probably be at pretty close range, and those old pistols had a huge caliber of bullet. Then again, they weren't exactly a shaped penetrator like the bullets of today are. If the pirate gets in close I can't wait to see him try to use a panzy ass pirate sword against the knight

Post #68   4/23/09 8:38:36PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Technically speaking, no one knows Ninjitsu anymore. Being as no one knew who ninja were, the lineage of ninja teachings is so screwed up, anyone can SAY they do Ninjitsu, but thats not at all accurate.

I don't know what comments you're talking about, as I couldn't find anything looking at the videos, but as for the expertise of the four guys, I don't know any of them personally, but I can say these two things:

1. I've been in martial arts for 18 years, and theres no way those guys aren't trained in something. They might not be "ninja", but Klein had proper form with his sword work and used the other weapons fairly well. Thats not something you pick up as a voice actor. The kid with him might have been annoying, but he clearly knew some form of combatives by the work he was doing on the heavy bag and in his use of the weapons as well. As for the Spartans, the Green Beret didn't do much combatively, but his partner was clearly trained in spear combat, his footwork when geared up as a Spartan was excellent, and his hoplon work was very solid.

2. This looks like a fairly high-budget show, and considering their other episodes had experts in their respective fields, it doesn't make sense to skimp on this one. It wouldn't be hard to find someone qualified to talk about both Ninja and Spartans, so why get fakes?

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #69   4/23/09 8:53:28PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,873-1,006
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Snake Blocker owns all

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #70   4/23/09 8:56:23PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

It was obvious he'd handled a sword before, but even in saying that his cut had hardly any progressive edge on it, and when you're talking about a weapon like a ninja's sword that progressive edge ups your cutting power immensely. In the hands of a skilled swordsman that pig carcass would have been toast in one shot.

I'd have to see it again, but he looks like he does a very "traditional" sword style, and the movements looks very lackluster. My older brother studied something similar and while it doesn't look like much, its really the quality of the weapon that makes it work. If you tried the same style with a piece of junk sword, you'd be getting nowhere fast. Brett Chan from the Samurai episode is a much more "progessive" swordmans in that regard.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #71   4/23/09 8:57:45PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Jackelope

It was obvious he'd handled a sword before, but even in saying that his cut had hardly any progressive edge on it, and when you're talking about a weapon like a ninja's sword that progressive edge ups your cutting power immensely. In the hands of a skilled swordsman that pig carcass would have been toast in one shot.

I'd have to see it again, but he looks like he does a very "traditional" sword style, and the movements looks very lackluster. My older brother studied something similar and while it doesn't look like much, its really the quality of the weapon that makes it work. If you tried the same style with a piece of junk sword, you'd be getting nowhere fast. Brett Chan from the Samurai episode is a much more "progessive" swordmans in that regard.

Yeah, what I was referring to was the fact that when you slice with a sword edged like a katana (or ninjato in this case) you're not only supposed to move your arm across with the strike, but you're supposed to be turning the blade into the strike with your hands as you cut. That way you get the cut angle from your arm, but that angle gets progressively sharper from the grasping of your hands - that way you utilize the sharpness of the weapon on a long edge instead of just trying to chop through something like an axe. It's actually the reason the handle is curved on a chinese broadsword, too.

I'll admit I'm not the best weapons guy around- I've got limited training at best in weapons. The thing is, though... my cousin is a FANTASTIC Shinkendo practicioner, and I've seen him do a lot of work with Japanese swords. So I know a bit more of what to look for than my training would suggest. It's clear that there was a bit of lack of progressive edge on that sword strike, but I'm with you in saying that those guys were obviously trained.

Last edited 4/23/09 10:11PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #72   4/23/09 10:10:47PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I understand what you mean, as I've done work with Japanese sword arts myself. Some people practice what are referred to as "traditional" sword or weapon styles in the TMA field, and they're essentially non-combative styles. Its about the base movements, and not so much about actual cutting power or the things guys in combatives are concerned with. You run into it a lot in forms competitions in TMA, but being as its fairly boring to watch, you don't see too much of it outside of there. Klein moved like hes from one of those sword schools, and basically did a form on the pig carcass. If you noticed, he actualy makes an extra cut under the pig to finish whatever sword form it was. You can see the difference with Brett Chan when he hacked through the two picks. I'm sure the swords were basically the same, but Chans style was an actually combat style. The only reason Kleins style even works is because the Ninjato is such a devastating cutting tool, as you could see by what it did to the ballistics gel dummy.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #73   4/23/09 10:30:33PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Ahh, okay.. yeah it sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. I didn't know there were any other styles when it comes to east asian weaponry like that. It seems to me that the style I was referring to would be vastly superior just based on the cutting power alone. It's almost like those kinds of weapons are built to do just that. I know Miyamoto Musashi, who was arguably the greatest swordsman ever, used the progressive cutting style because you can clearly see it in his paintings. He wrote about how a stroke with the brush was just like a stroke with the sword, only on a smaller scale.

Post #74   4/23/09 11:03:00PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Link

This is the video I was talking about (part 1 of 2). He does seem to have legitimate credentials and information on the subject.

Post #75   4/24/09 12:02:28AM   

Page 5 of 9   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8   >>