Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Spike's Deadliest Warrior

Print  
Worth Watching?
Looks awesome 31 47%
Looks ok 18 27%
Looks kinda dumb 4 6%
Looks like a waste of time 3 5%
jakeiceman only noticed it because Liddell is in it 10 15%
  Page 4 of 9     1     2     3     4     5     6     7   >>
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Yeah, I'd love to see a group of Samurais charge even one SF Operator behind an M240B on cyclic rate of fire

Post #46   4/10/09 12:24:10AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I really liked the show but found it to be a little lacking (amateurish might be the right word) in terms of appearance and production.
Also, the narrator's voice was obnoxious when used so much.

That being said, the concept is awsome, the show was entertaining and I'll watch it again for sure.
overall

Post #47   4/11/09 7:25:52PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I'm pretty sure thats the narrator from 300, so they just have him for cross-over appeal, as obviously if you liked 300, you'd probably be into the show.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #48   4/11/09 11:28:08PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
i guess im the only one who really didnt like the show at all. The experts were annoying, the entire show is so hypothetical that it will never answer any question of who would win, and the narrator is such a gimmick that it came across really annoying. I loved the idea of the show and gave it a chance but just wasnt a fan

Post #49   4/13/09 4:15:50PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
Does anyone know what other warriors they will profile on the show? We know of the Vikings, Cherokee, Gladiator and Samurai but who else?

Post #50   4/13/09 4:29:20PM   

JWest12

MMA Regular

JWest12 Avatar

Career:440-254
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:
Pirate vs. Knight
Taliban vs. IRA
Yakuza vs. Mafi a
Viking vs. Samurai
Green Beret vs. Spetznaz
Maori vs. Shaolin Monks
William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu
Ninja vs. Spartan

Those are the ones that I could find.

Last edited 4/13/09 4:49PM server time by JWest12
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #51   4/13/09 4:44:36PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by JWest12

Pirate vs. Knight
Taliban vs. IRA
Yakuza vs. Mafi a
Viking vs. Samurai
Green Beret vs. Spetznaz
Maori vs. Shaolin Monks
Ninja vs. Spartan

Green Beret vs Spetznaz seems amazing.... But dont the Russians keep most of their info, especially highly trained military units and tactics, under wraps no matter what? Interesting matchup.

Also the IRA they are referring to, is that the Irish Republican Army?

Cant wait to see more this season.....

But Yakuza vs ***** and Wallace vs Shakazulu get not even remotely interesting to me.

Post #52   4/13/09 5:26:23PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Id assume the IRA would be the Irish Republican army, just based on the fact they're up against another terrorist group. This show sounds interesting, but after watching the first episode I was a little dissapointed. Like somebody already said, its not like the gladiator would just be getting up and walking away knowing the apache wasnt dead after hed beat him down with that glove. Im looking forward to the ninja vs the spartan.

War William Wallace!!! (the film version anyways)

Last edited 4/13/09 6:33PM server time by aaronno9

Post #53   4/13/09 6:32:20PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JWest12

Pirate vs. Knight
Taliban vs. IRA
Yakuza vs. Mafi a
Viking vs. Samurai
Green Beret vs. Spetznaz
Maori vs. Shaolin Monks
Ninja vs. Spartan

Here are my winners:

Knight - Plate armor will own a pirate's saber
Taliban (If they're talking Afghan-Mujahideen style)- Mujahideen are highly underrated
Yakuza- Japanese gangsters.. 'nuff said
Samurai- Will overwhelm the Viking with technique
Green Beret- Rangers owned Spetznaz, can't even imagine what Green Berets would do to them
Shaolin Monk- Probably will win via range with their long spears. Interesting matchup, though considering one culture is a completely feudal culture who lives by battle, and another is a peaceful culture who, though they train constantly, is supposed to be peaceful by nature.
William Wallace- I want to see that two handed sword lop a torso in half
Spartan- Tough match to call, but take away the element of surprise from the ninja and the Spartan may pull off the win. The shield should provide an advantage, too. Honor vs. Dishonor I'll go with honor 55/45

Last edited 4/13/09 7:46PM server time by Jackelope

Post #54   4/13/09 7:46:11PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
The IRA(S) takes this easily. Once they sick their auditors on them, there is no escape.

Death by Taxes!!!

Last edited 4/14/09 2:02PM server time by roadking95th

Post #55   4/14/09 2:01:52PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Spoilers!!!!!!!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Awesome episode! I'm glad they showed the katana didn't work on chainmail, although I was dissapointed they didn't give the same consideration to viking weapons and samurai armor. They had the helmet take an axe blow, but didn't show an axe hitting samurai plate. The samurais archery skill was excellent though.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #56   4/14/09 11:23:52PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I'm pretty sure thats the narrator from 300, so they just have him for cross-over appeal, as obviously if you liked 300, you'd probably be into the show.

yah the narrator is the guy from 300 and its boromir from lord of the rings

Post #57   4/15/09 1:03:55AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Yeah, that was a good episode. I was absolutely amazed by the spear throw. I didn't expect that at all. Hell, with the sloppy technique that dude was showing off with his other weapons I was almost expecting him to miss the target. Damn, was I wrong, or what? That was unbelievable.

I also would have liked to have seen the Viking weapons vs. the Samurai armor. I wonder if they just couldn't afford to ruin a good set or something

Post #58   4/16/09 12:43:53AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Spear throwing is actually almost purely strength and basic foot placement, almost like the difference between throwing a shotput and a baseball. I have a good friend that won a regional spear throwing contest at a Ren. fair before, and had never thrown a spear in his life. Hes just such a monster he could hurl the thing 40 feet into a target and no one else could throw that far.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #59   4/16/09 3:00:46AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by CwB

i guess im the only one who really didnt like the show at all. The experts were annoying, the entire show is so hypothetical that it will never answer any question of who would win, and the narrator is such a gimmick that it came across really annoying. I loved the idea of the show and gave it a chance but just wasnt a fan

No I am with you on that one. I saw one episode and came to the conclusion that their whole method for analysis is severely flawed (scientifically).

First of all, it looks like they are doing an elimination style round, when really they should be doing round robin style match ups.

Second, if you are going to compare anything in a proper scientific manner you have to use the same tests. You cannot say one thing is better than the other by comparing two different results from two different tests.

Third and related to the second, their whole grading system is subjective. As much as they want you to think it is objective, it isn't. Their computer simulation is probably just a probability calculator based on constraints that they formulated. Now the simulation is objective, but the constraints are subjective.

Fourth, this type of thing has been debated for a long for martial arts styles. Along came the UFC and they (IMO) pretty much had the best formula to measure it despite the elimination set up. Look what happened. BJJ took the cake. Now, does anyone still think that BJJ is the most deadly martial art?

Fifth, there are a lot of X-factors that are not discussed in the show, which make it potentially misleading. That is, are they comparing the fighting styles and weapons or the warriors themselves? There are other aspects about the warriors and their tactics that are not discussed. eg. their living conditions. A starving pirate will not be much of a match for a well fed warrior. Also some of the warrior fighting styles are not designed for one-on-one combat. For example, most samurai fought on the battle field and not in single combat.

Mythbusters is a much more objective show than this one and that is saying a lot. I see the show as an excuse to take weapons and cut up pieces of meat and bash fake heads.

Deadliest warrior =

Post #60   4/18/09 9:26:01AM   

Page 4 of 9     1     2     3     4     5     6     7   >>