Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Spike's Deadliest Warrior

Print  
Worth Watching?
Looks awesome 31 47%
Looks ok 18 27%
Looks kinda dumb 4 6%
Looks like a waste of time 3 5%
jakeiceman only noticed it because Liddell is in it 10 15%
  Page 3 of 9     1     2     3     4     5     6   >>
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I love how they head-butt each other a few times, and then lean against other to take a break. "Woah... dude, I'm diiizzzzzzy..."

Post #31   3/17/09 11:34:38AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
*********SPOILER ALERT***************

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

So for those of you who didn't see the first episode, it was Gladiators vs. Apache Indians. The Apache used Tomahawk, Bow & Arrow, War Club, and Knives for his weapons. The gladiator used a Sica, Cestus, Trident & Net Combo, and a Sling for his weapons. The Apache ended up winning 667/1000 times, and the gladiator 333/1000. Basically, 2/3 of the time the Apache would whoop the gladiator's ass.

What do you guys think? How was the show? What did you think of the outcome?

Personally I thought they could have expanded the data set far beyond just weapons. How about mobility, glancing blows, blocks, etc.? Still, though.. I can't argue with the outcome. In a close range fight where every strike is deadly I'll take mobility and speed where weapons are concerned any day of the week. Mobility against a fully armored opponent, well, then we have an issue.

Looking forward to next week's episodes, though. Your thoughts?

Last edited 4/8/09 10:01PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #32   4/8/09 10:00:33PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,879-1,007
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I love this show so far. Definitely very informative and interesting. Next week you have Vikings vs. Samurai. I definitely am going with the Samurai. I also would like to get my hands on one of those mock heads and hit it hard enough to make the blood and brain matter explode out. That's my inner serial killer speaking. WTF? lol

Post #33   4/8/09 10:41:54PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Damn it Vikings have to get matched up against Samurai first? Sucks for the vikings. I expected them to go deep in the tournament, but not if they're matched up against probably the #1 overall favorite

Who knows, though.. can a bearded axe best the katana? Will the overpowering offense prove too much for the well rounded finesse of the Samurai? Tune in, and find out! (See, the show should hire me to pimp their episodes haha)

Post #34   4/8/09 11:03:08PM   

C02

Learning to Sprawl

C02 Avatar

Career:72-54
Chips:
This show is awesome watching it right now the Apaches are bad ass. Why would you even want to mess with an Apache.

Post #35   4/8/09 11:09:36PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I think the science side is a bit off, as they make large assumptions about weapons based on one guy who is our eras expert on those weapons, but not THEIR eras expert. I love the show though. Its kind of funny because a friend of mine is friends with Snake Blocker, the Apache guy.

As for Vikings vs. Samurai, thats a hard one to answer. For one thing, Vikings weren't the greatest warriors of Norse society, while Samurai were hands down the greatest of Japan. Also, the katana isn't built to cut hard targets, so how it would do on actual armor is a big question that I hope they answer. I'm definitely going to watch it though.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #36   4/8/09 11:34:19PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I think the science side is a bit off, as they make large assumptions about weapons based on one guy who is our eras expert on those weapons, but not THEIR eras expert. I love the show though. Its kind of funny because a friend of mine is friends with Snake Blocker, the Apache guy.

As for Vikings vs. Samurai, thats a hard one to answer. For one thing, Vikings weren't the greatest warriors of Norse society, while Samurai were hands down the greatest of Japan. Also, the katana isn't built to cut hard targets, so how it would do on actual armor is a big question that I hope they answer. I'm definitely going to watch it though.

That dude Snake Blocker seemed intense as hell. I would love to train with him for a day or two. Living in and around Apache country nearly my entire life has left me with a fascination for their culture. They were really one of the last truly feared tribes in North America. Even all the way up to the late 1800's people knew not to go into Apache territory. Outside of Hawaii and Alaska they were literally one of the very last strongholds of the Indian nation. That's why criminals used to flee west into Indian territory to get away from the law in Texas.

I found myself rooting for the Gladiator based on my obvious anglo american bias (which is a bit of a paradox if you really think about it), but I couldn't be too disappointed with the Apache winning.

I didn't know the Katana doesn't do well against steel targets. I figured it's folded metal and long edge would lend itself well to hard targets with large surfaces, but I guess we'll see. How do you think it would do against chain mail and the like? What type of armor do Samurais wear? Is it some form of bamboo or something? I'm full of questions. The show has me hooked.

Post #37   4/9/09 1:10:15AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I liked the show. I do have a problem with the scenarios though. The gladiator was made for a specific environment with specific conditions. There were no places to run or hide. Not that this should of been held against the Apache. they are just too different.

If half the fights were held in an arena, I am sure the gladiator would have won, but that scenario is kind of ridiculous. I suppose though that this was the only way to include a warrior from Roman/Greek times. Obviously they couldn't bring out a full Spartan phalanx!

Based on the scenarios, I believe I am having to go with the Samurai. Some protection, long range, mid range, and close range weapons.

Of course, you give me a medieval man with chain mail (not too much, but just enough) with a long bow, mace, broad sword, and horse/lance....I don't know. After all, I think a knight would know how to use a long bow.

Post #38   4/9/09 1:25:14AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I didn't know the Katana doesn't do well against steel targets. I figured it's folded metal and long edge would lend itself well to hard targets with large surfaces, but I guess we'll see. How do you think it would do against chain mail and the like? What type of armor do Samurais wear? Is it some form of bamboo or something? I'm full of questions. The show has me hooked.

A katana is very much a soft target weapon, because most soldiers from those eras were peasants and unarmored, much in the same way that knights were higher class and had armor, and would butcher people who were not. A katana will go through a soft target like butter, but the blades are too thin to hold up to rimmed shields that a Viking would have. As for chainmail, I'm fairly sure it would go through it, but plate armors would break it. Most swords from the era of plate armor look like crowbars with edges because something thinner would break.

As for samurai armor, it changed over eras, but the popular kind was made of laquered metal plates overlapping each other like shingles. It was light, but never meant to stop a heavy blow, so something like a dane ax would go right through it. Then again, there isn't much a dane ax wouldn't go through.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #39   4/9/09 3:35:43AM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:
i enjoyed the show, it was funny the Apache guys where flipping out and talking so much smack but in the end he beat the gladiator. i thought the gladiator would win due to strength but the Apache is just so beast at hit and running.

im picking the samurai to beat the viking. WAR Japan =)

Post #40   4/9/09 12:02:12PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Im apache

Im going to put my money on the samurai til the very end.

Post #41   4/9/09 5:18:02PM   

JWest12

MMA Regular

JWest12 Avatar

Career:440-254
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:
I was going for the gladiator over the Apache. I do think the scenario at the end was a little unrealistic. For example the gladiator was on top of the Apache, hitting him in the face with his spiked glove. Then he got up and the Apache got up and killed him. I'm pretty sure in an actual fight that gladiator would have made sure the Apache was dead.

I was also impressed by the damage that the sling did to the dummy's face.

Post #42   4/9/09 7:59:37PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Slings are brutal, but they don't kill unless they hit the head. Greek armies used to have entire units of slingers, so imagine marching and having it basically rain lead balls going 110 mph. **** that!

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #43   4/9/09 8:24:59PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
I just watched another preview for this show. Looks like modern day special forces soldiers are included in the fights. WITH modern weapons. Hmm... I wonder who is going to kill everyone they fight? haha

Post #44   4/9/09 9:04:32PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I just watched another preview for this show. Looks like modern day special forces soldiers are included in the fights. WITH modern weapons. Hmm... I wonder who is going to kill everyone they fight? haha

They better put them against a pride of lions.

Guns > Everything else

Post #45   4/10/09 12:15:27AM   

Page 3 of 9     1     2     3     4     5     6   >>