Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Spike's Deadliest Warrior

Print  
Worth Watching?
Looks awesome 31 47%
Looks ok 18 27%
Looks kinda dumb 4 6%
Looks like a waste of time 3 5%
jakeiceman only noticed it because Liddell is in it 10 15%
  Page 2 of 9     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
i'll watch it if it is on... i love greek history so spartans all the way...

Post #16   3/13/09 6:52:43PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

A Spartan would murder a ninja in a standup fight. Spartan vs. Samurai is a better match, one that history geeks have been debating forever.

Maybe not if they were both unarmed. Anyone can kill with a weapon.

I bet the Maasai get overlooked.

The maasai people have traditionally viewed the killing of lions as a rite of passage. Historically, lion hunts were done by individuals, however, due to reduced lion populations, lion hunts done solo are discouraged by elders. Most hunts are now partaken by groups of 10 warriors. Group hunting, known in Maasai as olamayio, gives the lion population a chance to grow. Maasai customary laws prohibit killing a sick or infirm lion. The killing of lionesses is also prohibited unless provoked.

At the end of each age-set, usually after a decade, the warriors count all of their lion kills to compare them with those hunted by the former age-set in order to measure accomplishment.

Post #17   3/13/09 6:58:58PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Hopefully it will be all hand to hand combat type stuff.

To warglory- Actually, historically the most devastating military unit since the dawn of time has been the cavalry warrior. (Which was essentially a medieval tank) Read about when Atahuallpa was captured in ancient Peru. 160 spanish warriors, only half of which were mounted, overcame a force of 7,000+ Indians killing 2,000 of them and capturing their leader in a matter of a couple hours. Also- only a few of those cavalry warriors were killed. Like 2 or 4, I can't remember the exact number. It was an incredible victory, though. An army without a cavalry vs. an army with a cavalry was almost 100% of the time a complete rout. (with a few rare exceptions)

Although I do admit that the longbow was so revolutionary that it changed the shape of the battlefield. However, cavalry vs. archers almost always resulted in those archers getting totally smashed

If it's hand to hand I'm going to be rooting for my boys- Vikings. I would assume the Samurai will win, though.

Well in the case of cavalry vs archer, it depends on battlefield strategy. If the cavalry came at them from the side, then it would be a rout ala Braveheart, but if it were a full frontal attack against a brigade of battle tested longbowman, the cavalry could be cut down before they could make effective attacks. See the English vs. French in the 100 Years War as a perfect example, specifically the Battle of Agincourt.

Post #18   3/13/09 7:04:07PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Id like to throw a shout-out to the mongolians.

Theyre bow skills were so ahead of their time that they just swept and destroyed china, then asia, then went for japan and was taken out by a Kamikaze. It took an act of god to stop them ffs.

Samurais still take the whole thing though.

Post #19   3/13/09 7:59:30PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:
i say that achilles wins it all

but thats just me

Post #20   3/13/09 8:20:19PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Id like to throw a shout-out to the mongolians.

Theyre bow skills were so ahead of their time that they just swept and destroyed china, then asia, then went for japan and was taken out by a Kamikaze. It took an act of god to stop them ffs.

Samurais still take the whole thing though.

I agree with the mongorians piece but what do you mean kamikaze is an act of god? did you mean a typhoon, tsunami or storm? an act of nature I also agree assassin type warriors are the deadliest because they dont have to hold back or feel remorse to do their job like a regular fighter or even someone who fights where there are no rules.

No doubt Anderson Silva is tough but can he beat a trained swordsman or assassin? probably not.

Post #21   3/13/09 8:23:53PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by AchillesHeel

A Spartan would murder a ninja in a standup fight. Spartan vs. Samurai is a better match, one that history geeks have been debating forever.

Maybe not if they were both unarmed. Anyone can kill with a weapon.

I'm not sure if you mean the ninja or the samurai, but either way, I assumed this "deadliest warrior" thing includes the equipment normally carried by the soldiers in question.

But since you opened this particular can of worms, and since this is an MMA site...

"A ninja, a samurai, and a spartan all walk into a bar..." Or: Jujutsu vs. Pankration.

Ninjutsu is really the art of stealth and surprise, misdirection and evasion, and so forth. The unarmed combat techniques practiced by ninja were probably just a form of jujutsu. Without their signature weapons, a ninja and a samurai would look pretty similar. So the ninja in the bar says something about the samurai's girlfriend, tricks the samurai into thinking it was the Spartan who said it, and vanishes.

And you know there's just no talkin' with an angry samurai, even if you speak Japanese, so the Spartan's gotta throw down. My guess is he's probably fine with that.

Traditional jujutsu is the forebear of contemporary jujitsu, although it's not exactly the same. The modern arts of judo and aikido are also descended directly from old-school jujutsu (Kano Jigoro and Morihei Ueshiba both attended Tenjin Shin'yo-ryu), and if you jumble the three styles together in your mind's eye, you can imagine what jujutsu might have looked like, back in the Sengoku day.

Jujutsu wasn't a sport or even some namby-pamby form of "self-defense"; it was a war-fighting martial art. As with contemporary war-fighting arts like krav maga, going to the ground is something you want to avoid. A samurai on his back gets stomped by shod feet, trampled by horses, impaled by spears and swords, and generally gutted like a fish. A jujutsu fighter also doesn't want to dance around, trying to get position, take his opponent's back, break down his defense, and choke him out. That takes way, way too long. He wants to torque an elbow, throw the guy to the ground, quickly and without over-committing himself.

Pankration is probably the oldest unarmed martial art system in the world, being practiced around 2,700 years ago. It is, in many ways, mixed martial arts as we know it today. Almost verbatim. Seriously, there are bronze statues and painted clay vases from Ancient Rome and Greece that look exactly like that Penn-Stevenson fight that Spike showed again last night (the Roman statues are covered in a lot less blood, I think).

Pankration was a sport, as it was played at the Olympics as far back as the 7th Century B.C., some sites claim. However, there's also evidence that it was used to train soldiers for war, and that it would have been used in the unfortunate event of becoming weaponless on the battlefield. There are bas reliefs of Theseus using pankration against the Minotaur, and Hercules using it against the Nemian Lion.

So when trying to imagine a samurai and a Spartan going mano a mano, with no weapons or armor, I imagine a UFC fighter going against a judoka, with no ref, no cage, no rules, and no clock. Maybe a little drunk.

I still say the Spartan wins.

Post #22   3/13/09 9:05:10PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by AchillesHeel

I still say the Spartan wins.

YUP nice facts to back everything up... your nickname achillesheel gives away the fact that you might be a bit biased towards greeks...

Post #23   3/13/09 9:12:37PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Jackelope

Hopefully it will be all hand to hand combat type stuff.

To warglory- Actually, historically the most devastating military unit since the dawn of time has been the cavalry warrior. (Which was essentially a medieval tank) Read about when Atahuallpa was captured in ancient Peru. 160 spanish warriors, only half of which were mounted, overcame a force of 7,000+ Indians killing 2,000 of them and capturing their leader in a matter of a couple hours. Also- only a few of those cavalry warriors were killed. Like 2 or 4, I can't remember the exact number. It was an incredible victory, though. An army without a cavalry vs. an army with a cavalry was almost 100% of the time a complete rout. (with a few rare exceptions)

Although I do admit that the longbow was so revolutionary that it changed the shape of the battlefield. However, cavalry vs. archers almost always resulted in those archers getting totally smashed

If it's hand to hand I'm going to be rooting for my boys- Vikings. I would assume the Samurai will win, though.

Well in the case of cavalry vs archer, it depends on battlefield strategy. If the cavalry came at them from the side, then it would be a rout ala Braveheart, but if it were a full frontal attack against a brigade of battle tested longbowman, the cavalry could be cut down before they could make effective attacks. See the English vs. French in the 100 Years War as a perfect example, specifically the Battle of Agincourt.

I totally agree with that assessment, and as I mentioned in my original post- "With a few rare exceptions" Poor battlefield decisions are certainly present throughout history.

I would hope that most cavalry mounted troops would be smart enough to realize they should use their maneuvarability and the surrounding terrain to their advantage against archers, but trust me.. I know quite a few things about working for idiot commanders. Sometimes the decisions they make completely confuse you.

If you ever get a chance, pick up "Guns, Germs and Steel." It goes into depth about how civilizations evolved to become the world powers they are today. Specifically in one chapter it addresses the issue of domestication of animals leading to great military victories and advancement of civilizations. It even highlights the battle between the Spaniards and Atahuallpa in part of it. The research done for the book is incredible- the author even won a Pulitzer prize for his efforts.

Post #24   3/14/09 12:48:30AM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
The DVR is set and am looking forward to watching this. Most of the stuff Discovery puts on is pretty good.

EDIT: I really like time warp.

Last edited 3/14/09 10:24PM server time by bls1919
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   3/14/09 10:24:11PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Take it for what its worth, but I'm fairly sure they allow guns in their simulations, as theres a scene in a commercial with a pirate holding a smoking flintlock and smiling like he just blasted someone.

And hate to burst everyones bubble, but I'm pretty sure its also era vs. era, which means Spartans lose hard to everyone after the bronze age.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #26   3/17/09 12:54:51AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
Im just stoked they're finally going to answer the age old question...

Who wins?

vs.

Post #27   3/17/09 1:00:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
I think after we saw CC kick HMC in the face the debate needs to be changed to- Can CC KO a giraffe?

Post #28   3/17/09 1:09:47AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I think after we saw CC kick HMC in the face the debate needs to be changed to- Can CC KO a giraffe?

Have you ever seen giraffe's fight dude?!
link

at 40 seconds in is the sickest animal uppercut ever.

Post #29   3/17/09 1:14:16AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jackelope

Have you ever seen giraffe's fight dude?!
link

at 40 seconds in is the sickest animal uppercut ever.

Holy @#$@ Crocop would get destroyed!!! Those things are nuts! Damn.. thanks for the link I like how the one was working the body and the other was going for the head, haha. There were some sick leg kicks in there.

Post #30   3/17/09 11:01:52AM   

Page 2 of 9     1     2     3     4     5   >>