Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rampage’ injured; Machida gets shot at Evans

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,416-1,238
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Can we make it a triple threat match with Brad Imes in there too ?

Post #16   3/12/09 5:29:54AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Can we make it a triple threat match with Brad Imes in there too ?

I was hoping Bill Mahood.

Post #17   3/12/09 8:01:03AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by Shogunator800

Posted by RMFG_187

People call me a hater when it comes to Machida, I give him respect hes a very smart fighter, just not an exciting one. And if he is champ, I will be so angry that he took the easiest path. Matchup with Tito was perfect for him. Silva was worst of the best. I dont think he could get passed Rashads Right hand tho.

So if he beats Rashad, a guy who beat the longest reigning champ in recent years to get his title shot at Forrest, you'll question his path to the belt as easy?

Starting with wining streaks on the way to a title shot only, maybe you should take a look at who did what to get previous title shots in the UFC:

Machida:

1. Sam Hoger Win Unanimous Decision
2. David Heath Win Unanimous Decision
3. Kazuhiro Nakamura Win Unanimous Decision
4. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou Win Submission
5. Tito Ortiz Win Unanimous Decision
6. Thiago Silva Win KO

Rashad Evans:

1. Michael Bisping Win Split Decision
2. Chuck Liddell Win KO

Forrest Griffin:

1. Hector Ramirez Win Unanimous Decision
2. Mauricio Shogun Rua Win Submission

Dan Henderson:

AUTOMATIC TITLES HOT FOR BEING PRIDE CHAMPION

Quinton Rampage Jackson

1. Marvin Eastman Win KO

Tito Ortiz

1. Patrick Cote Win Unanimous Decision
2. Forrest Griffin Win Split Decision
3. Vitor Belfort Win Split Decision
4. Ken Shamrock Win TKO
5. Ken Shamrock Win TKO

Renato Sobral

1. Travis Wiuff Win Submission
2. Chael Sonnen Win Submission
3. Mike Van Arsdale Win Submission

Randy Couture

1. Mike Van Arsdale Win Submission

Jeremy Horn

AUTOMATIC TITLE SHOT GIVEN TO FOR AN EASILY AVENGED LOSS VICTORY FOR CHUCK

Chuck Liddell

1. Tito Ortiz KO
2. Vernon White KO

Randy Couture

Automatic Rematch due to cut loss to Vitor

Vitor Belfort

1. Marvin Eastman TKO

I'm going to stop right here.

It's painfully obvious that both Machida has had the most difficult route if you count uninterrupted UFC victories leading up to a title shot. Rashad's list would be much larger if it wasn't for the Tito Ortiz draw. Let's not forget that Tito was Chuck's last successful title defense too. You can deny it, but Machida has been given very tough matches. He's been given a lot of opponents that could give him problems, and then a lot of other fighters simply aren't interested in fighting him. Yes, this list does include Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell. Neither were interested in a bout with him and you can't really fault Machida for that.

A draw is not a loss Rashad is still on a 13 fight win streak. You cant say he isnt fact is he has 13 wins, and 0 losses. Therefore to accurtaly depict this, and for your argument to be fact.

Win Forrest Griffin TKO (Punches)
Win Chuck Liddell
Win Michael Bisping
Draw Tito Ortiz Draw
Win Sean Salmon KO (Head Kick)
Win Jason Lambert KO (Punches)
Win Stephan Bonnar Decision (Majority)
Win Sam Hoger Decision (Split)

-----------
With that being said, i think what wolfenstein thinks, both guys are very paitent, both have similar styles, both guys wlll look to do the same thing. THis fight is gonna be awesome, i love Machida, and Rashad, they both have the talent to beat the other......However world class wrestling, great striking, and a good (although unproven) ground game, and pure speed AND power. Rashad wins by KO late in the fight to retain his title and stop a split decision going either way.

Post #18   3/12/09 8:36:40AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
It's more accurate to say Rashad has an unbeaten streak since a Draw really is neither a win or loss, so technically it's not a winning streak. Personally, I'm just happy that Dana can't deny Machida his shot any more. Nothing against Rampage, I just don't like how it seems he was getting preferential treatment from Dana just because he's a big "meal ticket" for the promotion, similar to Chuck, Randy, (Anderson) Silva, and perhaps GSP.

Post #19   3/12/09 8:54:56AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I always think a former champ should get a shot at being a champ again, espeically when they don't lose in dramatic fashion (ala Forest). In fact, I prefer championship rematches when fights are fairly close or aren't dominant decisions. I think champs are due that when they lose. It's a shame they don't work that into their fight contracts, honestly.

Post #20   3/12/09 11:09:36AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,703-1,488
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Rashad is going to store the late 4th rd KO on Machida making himself the first person to solve the riddle that is Lyoto Machida!!!!!

Post #21   3/12/09 1:47:58PM   

Tein_Lung

Banned

Career:92-57
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Rashad is going to store the late 4th rd KO on Machida making himself the first person to solve the riddle that is Lyoto Machida!!!!!

you should lay off teh drugs... Ray-shad, as bisbing calls him, is not smart enough to solve that puzzle...

IMO Machida will make Rashad look silly... he will pick him apart on the feet then Rashad will try to take Machida down and fail

Post #22   3/12/09 3:10:26PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by sparky

you should lay off teh drugs... Ray-shad, as bisbing calls him, is not smart enough to solve that puzzle...

IMO Machida will make Rashad look silly... he will pick him apart on the feet then Rashad will try to take Machida down and fail

You should lay off the drugs mon ami. Machida is overrated and will be exposed against Rashad.

Post #23   3/12/09 8:32:50PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
This is soo sick. I cant wait for Machida to tower over Evans as he is sucking dirt off the octagon mat. Machida wins TKO 2nd. When Lyoto does gain control of the LHW crown.....it own't be going anywhere. Machida will REIGN KING for a very long time.

EDIT: With any luck Machida will KO Rashad as he is doing some crotch grabbing taunt. That would be very, very sweet.

Last edited 3/12/09 8:47PM server time by bls1919
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   3/12/09 8:45:35PM   

cj_striker

MMA Regular

cj_striker Avatar

Career:341-252
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
I'm happy for Machida that he's getting his shot. But poor Rampage, a jaw injury has got to be the worst injury possible for him, because we all know all much he loves to talk s**t. And to have surgery on it too, man he won't be able to run his mouth for awhile, don't get me wrong I love Rampage just as much as the next guy, but it is sightly funny to me that his jaw is injured.

Post #25   3/12/09 9:49:04PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,342-746
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I have to give this to Machida by UD or sub.

I really enjoy watching Machida fight and he is one of my fav fighters. He is a lot better and more exciting then people give him credit for. I also don't understand how anyone could say he has had the easy road to a tittle shot. He is undefeated with 6 straight wins in the UFC. He has beat....

Stephan Bonnar - He can be a tough fight for anyone.

Rich Franklin - If Rich stays at LHW he will be in the top 10.

B.J. Penn - One of the best P4P fighters in the world.

Sam Hoger - Took the current champ to SD which most people felt Hoger won.

Kazuhiro Nakamura - this guy has fought the who's who of MMA and has beat some of the best around.

Sokoudjou - At the time they fought most felt Sokoudjou was the next big thing. He was ranked in the top 10 when they fought. He was even voted fighter of the year in 2007 by many MMA media pages.

Ortiz - Love or hate Ortiz he is still a great fighter. He beat the current champ and the only reason the record doesn't show it is because of a point deduction. If Ortiz was still fighting he would be ranked in the top 10.

Thiago Silva - was 13-0 when they fought and was ranked in 8th in the world.

I think that gets my point across. I also cant stand when people say he is a boring fighter. But is he really or does that just mean you don't like or fully understand what he is doing in the cage. I think some people say that because he doesn't stand there in eat punches. I have found that most of your fans that have been around MMA a long time truely love all aspects of MMA and have a strong understanding of fighting. Its these people that really like Machida as a fighter and enjoy watching him fight.

Last edited 3/13/09 2:03AM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #26   3/13/09 2:02:30AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
This fight has great potential to be a fightof the year canidate with the talent that both fighters have. However, I see this being a very inactive fight!! We all know Machida is an elusive fighter that doesn't take much damage and Evans seems to be a very intellegent fighter coming from an awesome camp that develops great game plans. I think Evans knows close fights more often goes to the Champ and with that in mind I don't think Evans will engage or chase Machida around knowing that if Machida wants the belt he will have to be the one engaging. Evans should give Machida a taste of his own medicine be being a little less passive and counter punch him like he did with Liddell. If Evans uses this strategy I see him winning via KO late in the fight or winning a UD fight.

Post #27   3/13/09 7:05:47AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I got Rashad all the way in this one. Machida is a good fighter but I think stylistically this fight is in Rashads favor. He's way quicker than anyone Machida has fought. Rashad will not get frustrated by anything Machida throws at him and he'll have a very good gameplan coming in. Rashad UD.

Post #28   3/13/09 7:30:00AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2