Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rashad Claims 'Rampage' Is Ducking Him

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

KipDynamite

Learning to Sprawl

KipDynamite Avatar

Career:239-190
Camp: Dangerzone
Chips:
Tito had the athletiism and wrestling of Rashad, and he was beaten by Machida!! Rashad cant hang

Last edited 3/10/09 11:33PM server time by Kipdynamite
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #31   3/10/09 11:31:55PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by KipDynamite

Tito had the athletiism and wrestling of Rashad, and he was beaten by Machida!! Rashad cant hang

Rashad has improved since his fight with Tito though.

Post #32   3/10/09 11:55:20PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Please keep runnin your gums Rashad, maybe you will get past both Rampage and Machida or maybe you wont but I know that one day someone is going to knock you out and what a sweeeeet day its gonna be.

Post #33   3/11/09 12:47:06AM   

1cornerman

Learning to Sprawl

1cornerman Avatar

Career:113-62
Chips:
dont get me wrong, machida is a stud, but, realistically hes not the #1 contender. sure, hes unbeaten, and sure hes faced some tough opponents, but, no top 5 contenders period. thiago silva, sokoudju, and tito are all tough dudes, but none are even top ten contenders. i think he should still face forrest, or some other top 5 lightheavy before he gets his title shot. although i do think he could beat any lightheavy on any given night, he hasnt earned a shot at the title yet. the real problem is that the ufc really needs to find some way of establishing a true order in which rankings an title shots are awarded, that way every fighter always knows where he stands in relevance to the title, and nobody feels cheated then. simple process, win, advance, lose, back down the ladder. kinda b/s as is, seems like liddell an a few other top lightheavies are always one or two wins from a title shot.

Post #34   3/11/09 1:47:19AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I think Machida will beat Rashad, but I really want to see Rampage v Rashad, I think Rashad would get demolished. People seem to think he's some top flight boxer, all he proved is that he's a split second faster then Chuck...who isn't now. Rampage is far and away the better boxer and I don't think he can take Page down.

Post #35   3/11/09 2:45:18AM   

coppershark

Learning to Sprawl

Career:714-531
Camp: MMA Forum
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Posted by wapttn

I think that rashad is trying to get rampage to take this fight knowing that rampage wont be 100% if he does. Rampage just finished a training camp overseas away from his family... so your gonna give him 2 weeks to heal, spend time with his family and then right back at it? He said he was over worked in his last training camp, what affect do you think that quick turnaround will have on this one? ... especially considering rashad hasnt fought since rampage's win over silva... combined with the rumour that rampage injured his hand in that fight.... theres a clear disadvantage to rampage taking this fight.

I think that given the circumstances, machida should get the nod. This is how it should've been all along. Rampage should've gotten the number 1 contendership solidified right around the same time rashad would defend the belt against machida. Machida was gettin ripped off with rashad's delay between defenses.

Rampage was overworked? What was his training goal? To get gassed by the 3rd and throw half assed haymakers all fight

Over 800 posts and you don't know about "peaking" for fights? Wow.

Post #36   3/11/09 3:27:19AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I think Machida will beat Rashad, but I really want to see Rampage v Rashad, I think Rashad would get demolished. People seem to think he's some top flight boxer, all he proved is that he's a split second faster then Chuck...who isn't now. Rampage is far and away the better boxer and I don't think he can take Page down.

Ding Ding Ding.......we have a winner.

Thanks Cmill agree 110%

Post #37   3/11/09 3:40:32AM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by grappler0000

My cynical side tells me that Rashad doesn't want to fight Lyoto.

even lyotos shadow hates boxing with him

He is probably more elusive than his shadow lol.

That would be a cool nickname for him imo, Lyoto "The Shadow" Machida.

Post #38   3/11/09 4:13:26AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I sincerely doubt that any of these fighters, much less the Champ, is "scared" to fight anyone. Lyoto is a great fighter and one of my personal favorites, but he is certainly beatable. I would say he's slower than Rashad but it's hard to get a read on his lead shots because he throws so many different ones. That makes it challenging for a counter puncher but not impossible. Lyoto is really good on the ground too but honestly, did you really think Thiago had a big time ground game? A better guage is probably when Lyoto fought Tito and stuffed the takedowns. He did a better job with Tito than Rashad did with Tito but Rashad was slamming Tito though and Tito was grabbing fences, if I remember correctly.

No, the Lyoto fight would be great. I think Rashad would like to fight Rampage because that is a BIG fight. Much flashier IMO than Lyoto v. Rashad BECAUSE you have flashy former champ v. current champ. I actually think rampage isn't as interested in the fight because he'd like to blow up Forest. Maybe I'm wrong (probably am) but I think Rampage is really tore up by that and it's eating at him. He wants to close the chapter on that one. He did with Wandy so now I think he wants to do the same thing to Forest.

Post #39   3/11/09 10:28:26AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,498-1,432
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

you know i thought the same thing before page fought jardine, but jardine is known for having slow hands compared to a lot of LHWs and he was getting off first against page more often than not and rashad definitely has faster hands than keith. now maybe jardines herky jerky-ness was what caused him to land first, but after that fight im just not sure that page will handle rashads speed well.

Post #40   3/11/09 11:26:04AM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:

Posted by Natedogg42

Posted by CCPRIDE99

why wont anyone give rashad any credit?
hes the #1 light heavyweight right now. no question
i think hed beat up rampage for a decision and i think hed beat out lyoto by being more naturally athletic than him
out of the two though i think lyoto at least has a good chance whereas rampage has close to none

Says the guy with the wrestling avatar.

We'll see how Rashard's Athleticism stacks up against Lyoto's vastly superior skills.

i know plenty about mma, as much as anyone on this site or any other, and i know rashad is a great fighter

ive got the wrestling avatar because it is a picture of me wrestling

Last edited 3/11/09 8:05PM server time by ccpride99
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #41   3/11/09 8:04:13PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Well, I guess the recent news puts to bed Rashad's comments about "ducking." Now we can back to the pointless arguments of who could hypothetically beat who. I love sports.

Observation: How many of you have noticed that Rampage often fails to throw when he defends? I came up boxing and one of the rules I always followed was after your blocking and head movement, come back with something. I've noticed in the last few fights (minus wandy) that when his opponent throws he goes straight back or blocks with elbows and arms but doesn't throw any body shots or roll his shoulders to bring himself into striking position. I think this severely hampers him because it means that the ONLY time his opponent has to worry about him is when he is set to throw. So, you negate that by striking from distance, hitting his front plant foot, and lateral movement.

Anyone else notice this problem? He also has a few tells. Granted, what makes Jardine so difficult is his herky jerkiness but more so, the fact that you never exactly what his lead shots would be. And yes, even though he was holding his left very very low, as soon as Page closed distance, he shot it out as a jab or hook and caught Page BEFORE page caught him and then he moved off laterally.

Neither Forest nor Jardine have Rashad's lateral quickness, handspeed, or power. I can't call the fight but I'm very interested to see it.

Lyoto-he also uses angles laterally and distance. He really does have a beautiful style from a combat perspective, dude is in and out quickly and he stays 1 1/2 steps away and his lead shots are totally unpredictable. I think that makes it tough for a natural counter puncher. He'll be tough man. I can't wait to see this fight either. He is very strong and has good ju jitsu but can he deal with a top tier wrestler that still has explosiveness (tito doesn't so much anymore)? We'll see but that's why the fights are so exciting. What a great sport.

Post #42   3/12/09 10:07:21AM   

Natedogg42

MMA Regular

Natedogg42 Avatar

Career:235-99
Camp: Drunkin' Brawlers
Chips:

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Posted by Natedogg42

Posted by CCPRIDE99

why wont anyone give rashad any credit?
hes the #1 light heavyweight right now. no question
i think hed beat up rampage for a decision and i think hed beat out lyoto by being more naturally athletic than him
out of the two though i think lyoto at least has a good chance whereas rampage has close to none

Says the guy with the wrestling avatar.

We'll see how Rashard's Athleticism stacks up against Lyoto's vastly superior skills.

i know plenty about mma, as much as anyone on this site or any other, and i know rashad is a great fighter

ive got the wrestling avatar because it is a picture of me wrestling

I'm just giving you crap man, but I don't think its a coincidence that a wrestler would side Rashard.

Personally, I think wrestlers are generally pretty boring, besides slams of course. But you probably appreciate the intricacies of wrestling more than I do.
Just like as a Judoka I appreciate judo throws and submissions more than the avarage Joe.

As far as you "know plenty about mma, as much as anyone on this site or any other..." apparently you missed the lesson on humility.

Post #43   3/13/09 5:57:40PM   

Natedogg42

MMA Regular

Natedogg42 Avatar

Career:235-99
Camp: Drunkin' Brawlers
Chips:
As far as you "know plenty about mma, as much as anyone on this site or any other..." apparently you missed the lesson on humility.

Which, come to think of it, is probably another reason you're a Rashad fan.

Post #44   3/13/09 6:09:50PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3