Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brown/Sell

Print  
How many times should the fight have been stopped before it was stopped???
0 the fight was stopped correctly at the right time. 9 15%
1 14 24%
2 19 32%
i counted 3 times 11 19%
4 1 2%
5 or more that was ridonkulaus 5 8%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
Once agian Sell proved to be highly overrated....

that was funny though i thought the fight was getting stopped about 5 times before the fight was actually stopped.

What do you all think how many times was the fight over before it was over?

Post #1   3/8/09 11:50:45AM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:
it was a late stopage thats bad but it happens it shouldnt in a perfect world but it does so move on if you were a ref you would do 100x worse also i dont think sell is over rated i dont hear anyone preaching about his greatness i think hes good but not good enough to be overrated if that makes sense

Post #2   3/8/09 11:54:10AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Chips:
no he isnt good at all look at his record thats my point he is waaaay ored.

Yea being a ref is def hard i am a fighter, and have been to many many / helped with many fights. It happens all the time either late, or early or whateve its not a perfect world......everyone understands that.

My point was it was one of the funniest screwups in a while, it made the fight a little bit of a "freak show" for lack of better words. it was like a joke :(

Post #3   3/8/09 12:05:39PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:
i personally dont think there is anything funny about a late stoppage. especially when it forces the other fighter to keep hitting him even though he knows that the fight is basically over

whatever though, what are ya gonna do?

Post #4   3/8/09 12:33:49PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,550-799
Chips:
this fight was great

the ref did a good job he jumped in almost stoped it saw sell was still in it and said continue

sell was basically out on his feet and brown was like "are u gonna stop this" then the ref finaly stoped it

id rather a fight be stoped late then early

Post #5   3/8/09 12:36:58PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
honestly i thought the fight was stopped at the right time, what was awful and ridiculous was when the ref jumped in when sell was first dropped, i think brown would have ended it there but when the ref jumped in that stoppage would have been horrible, i think he realized it and changed his mind in the middle, terrible mistake by the ref there. But what happened after that I think he stopped it at the right time.

Post #6   3/8/09 12:54:59PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by tmas

Records are a bit misleading. To say Sell isn't good at all is going a bit far IMO. He's a black belt under a highly respected teacher, and has solid boxing skills.

If anything, Sell's biggest drawback is himself-- the guy wants to bang with EVERYBODY. While that makes for exciting fights, it also makes great situations for his opponents, especially a guy like Matt Brown, who hits like a truck, and enjoys a toe to toe scrap. Standing in front of that guy is like begging to get caught.

If Sell took him down and work JJ, I think he wins that fight. Again, his tough guy mentality got the best of him.

Just my thoughts... I do like the Serra-Longo guys though, so I may be a bit impartial.

Post #7   3/8/09 1:01:14PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
I did not like how the ref jumped in and then changed his mind. I thought it was going to be stopped when Brown was teeing off on Sell's head on the ground. Sell has a deceptive autopilot because I thought he was alright until he just fell over and was out of it.

Good stoppage I don't like the second geussing though.

Post #8   3/8/09 1:04:05PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,550-799
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by tmas

Records are a bit misleading. To say Sell isn't good at all is going a bit far IMO. He's a black belt under a highly respected teacher, and has solid boxing skills.

If anything, Sell's biggest drawback is himself-- the guy wants to bang with EVERYBODY. While that makes for exciting fights, it also makes great situations for his opponents, especially a guy like Matt Brown, who hits like a truck, and enjoys a toe to toe scrap. Standing in front of that guy is like begging to get caught.

If Sell took him down and work JJ, I think he wins that fight. Again, his tough guy mentality got the best of him.

Just my thoughts... I do like the Serra-Longo guys though, so I may be a bit impartial.

sell may be bjj black belt but he showed zero bjj skilles agains lutter got detroyed twice by quarry and quarry was subbed in like 2 mins from a "real" bjj black belt in maia

if sell had any bjj he would impose it on quarry

sell aint good at anything

his only notable win is baroni

Post #9   3/8/09 1:07:29PM   

rc_kobra

Learning to Sprawl

rc_kobra Avatar

Career:409-343
Camp: RGV Brian Smashers
Chips:
it was a just stoppage the first one would have been early. I would rater see a late than an early stoppage

Post #10   3/8/09 1:35:55PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,496-1,195
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I think the ref was letting it go because Sell kept smiling.

Post #11   3/8/09 1:43:34PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Chips:
When i said look at the record i didnt mean the # 8-5 i meant that, who he has fought, who he has beat, and who he has lossed too. .....

As that smart fella said up there Phil Baroni is his only good win, and when you really think about it Baroni is a big name, he isnt actally all that good. Josh Burkman is the only win he has where the guy he fought has 3 more wins then losses. Burkman has 10, Baroni 3, and the rest have either losing records or are near even. I like Pete Sell i thought this guy had great potential but he hasnt lived up to it yet....

Post #12   3/8/09 2:53:53PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Should of been stopped earlier. Sell was out on his feet. Even when the ref let him up he was falling all over the place and just eating shot after shot, then he gets knocked down again and the ref still doesnt stop it despite Brown just standing not doing anything and Sell not regaining any composure in that time.

In the press conference Dana said he was still worried about Sells condition, so he could have a serious problem becouse of the ref not stopping it.

Post #13   3/8/09 3:07:35PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Chips:
honsetly as soon as the fight started and they started moving around i thought Sell was injured he didnt look right at all the whole time

Post #14   3/8/09 3:17:54PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:
i dont understand how people can honestly say they would rather a fight be stopped late.

if a fight is stopped early, worst case senario is that the fighter gets a loss on his record and may have to find another org to fight it

if a fight is stopped late, worst case senario is that the fighter is seriously injured to the point where his career is over for good

think about it people

Post #15   3/8/09 3:35:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2