Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tom Atencio: ‘I’m kind of between a rock and a hard place’ with third Affliction event

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
” … I’m just trying to figure out what we’re doing, that’s all. I’m kind of between a rock and a hard place. The fans and the media treat me like I’m on my tenth show. I’m on my third show, and I’m just trying to make sure I don’t make the same mistakes that I made in the other events. If there’s things I’ve made mistakes on I try to fix them. I’m trying to be methodical about everything. I’m just trying to make sure that whatever we do, we’re doing it right.

LINK

Post #1   3/2/09 2:33:53PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
I hope Affliction can continue to produce exciting and entertaining match-ups as well as continue to build their roster with new talent as well as established names. Good fights are good fight no matter whose name is on the mat as far as I am concerned. on Affliction.

Post #2   3/2/09 2:51:07PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Too much too fast. I expected them to trim some fat by lowering undercard fighters pay at the very least, but yet they're still paying guys like Matt Lindland 300K, which is more than most UFC PPV headliners.

Although Barnett vs Fedor is a fight I'm really looking forward to, I think it will probably be the final nail in the coffin. They'll pay both fighters exorbitant amounts of money for very little return.

At this point they're kind of stuck with their current business model. If they had taken a more scaled back approach and gotten into the game as a regional promotion that slowly builds itself into a bigger promotion they would have a much better chance at survival.

Post #3   3/2/09 3:03:07PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
We need to see the business figures from the Affliction clothing brand though as well as what Trump has committed to pay for to see if the fact that these shows are losing money constantly is negligible or not. I don't deny that the outlook from the outsider's point of view is still bleak but I hope that they are able to continue trucking along and getting better each time. Thats all you can really hope for.

Post #4   3/2/09 3:24:50PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Yeah, I'm guessing this will be the last show. BUT, Goldenboy might benefit out of it by pulling in names in MMA for boxing shows. How that pans out, who knows but as a dual fan of both boxing and MMA I'm always curious how guys like AA will fare in the boxing world. It works for me. ;)

I'd also like to see a guy like Manny P do some MMA too. Pacman is no joke with his striking. That's some ridiculous stuff right there---wearing MMA gloves, I don't think anyone in MMA could last 40 seconds with him if he knew how to stuff takedowns but that is all hypothetical and in my mind what makes combat sports so interesting. All the karate guys say we can beat boxing guys. All the wrestling guys say we'll beat karate, bjj says it beats everyone, muy thai claims striking supremacy and yet FIGHTERS can prove otherwise and the sports can evolve. A guy comes along with great wrestling and great boxing and dominates and suddenly eveyrone is wrestling and boxing....bjj and muy thai and suddenly eveyrone is training those disciplines. It's the beauty of combat--primacy is fleeting.

Post #5   3/2/09 5:30:53PM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
yea, not what you want your ceo saying

Post #6   3/2/09 8:18:43PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

All the karate guys say we can beat boxing guys. All the wrestling guys say we'll beat karate, bjj says it beats everyone, muy thai claims striking supremacy and yet FIGHTERS can prove otherwise and the sports can evolve. A guy comes along with great wrestling and great boxing and dominates and suddenly eveyrone is wrestling and boxing....bjj and muy thai and suddenly eveyrone is training those disciplines. It's the beauty of combat--primacy is fleeting.

What a beautiful sport, eh?

Post #7   3/2/09 9:38:26PM   

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Too much too fast. I expected them to trim some fat by lowering undercard fighters pay at the very least, but yet they're still paying guys like Matt Lindland 300K, which is more than most UFC PPV headliners.

Although Barnett vs Fedor is a fight I'm really looking forward to, I think it will probably be the final nail in the coffin. They'll pay both fighters exorbitant amounts of money for very little return.

At this point they're kind of stuck with their current business model. If they had taken a more scaled back approach and gotten into the game as a regional promotion that slowly builds itself into a bigger promotion they would have a much better chance at survival.

you cant make money if you spend it on lack luster matchups

Post #8   3/3/09 7:24:35PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
BARNNEY VS FEDOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #9   3/3/09 8:01:24PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

I agree if they want to stay alive they have to cut cost. Right now I think they have way to much money going out with little returning. You cant do this for long and stay alive especially in this economy. The UFC had a hard time staying alive and they were not spending near the amount of money that Affliction is. The sad part is very little of the spending Affliction is doing is going to marketing and in the end this well kill them. I would be shocked if they even get this show off the ground and even more shocked if they are able to truly put on a 4th show.

Post #10   3/4/09 1:11:59AM