Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Razor Rob vs. Marcus Hicks fight last night.

Print  
How bad did you think the fight was? (1 being the worst 5 being the best)
1 7 18%
2 19 50%
3 11 29%
4 0 0%
5 1 3%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
That fight was just horrible. There was nothing in that fight that entertained me. After last night I don't care to see either guy again. Crap the ref almost no contested the fight because they would engage. That was pathetic.

Anyone else have an opinion on the fight?

Post #1   3/2/09 7:17:29AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I only gave it an "Incomplete" because I didn't realize until it was too late that the broadcast started at 9, not 9:30 and when I did tune in (about 9:25) they were already at halfway through round 2. I came in at the low blow. But what I did see made me wish I waited a bit longer.

Post #2   3/2/09 8:57:02AM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
i think the them of that fight is once you get ko'd by varner, you loose your trigger finger.....hicks first fight back he didnt throw punches......rob banged it out alright with cerrone, but that was the cerrone show in that fight.....but against alexander and now hicks, he doenst seem to throw anymore.....i would have rather watched quarry vs starnes again cuz atleat quarry provided a little humor relief

Post #3   3/2/09 11:16:05AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
i gave it a 2 because the second round was decent, hicks with the knockdown and almost got the guillotine and then razor rob was landing combos at the end of the round.

rounds 1 & 3 , pretty bad when razor rob who has the reach wasnt throwing that many punches or kicks as he should have.

Post #4   3/2/09 1:32:32PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Razor Rob specializes in Muay Thai, but barely throws kicks for fear of getting taken down, and has poor head movement. Hicks was a journeyman boxer. Every time Razor would go for a punch Hicks saw it from a mile away and countered heavier.

Razor was afraid of his timing. It's as simple as that. That's why the fight sucked, had he gone offensive at any point in the fight he would've been knocked out. Razor couln't have won an exciting fight that night, just a clash of styles.

Post #5   3/2/09 1:51:58PM   

SlingingSteel

Learning to Sprawl

Career:281-163
Chips:
boring ass fight! i would have rather pet the dog.

Post #6   3/2/09 2:23:18PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Round 2 was pretty good, but other than that it was pretty much ten minutes of feeling each other out. Just one of those cases where neither fighter wants to close that last bit of distance.

I thought Hicks looked hurt at the beginning of the second round. He was protecting his right side and seemed a little gassed. I think one of those liver kicks must have found its mark, or possibly some busted ribs.

I thought Hicks would come out like a freight train, but he really surprised me by playing a conservative game, even while behind. Razor Rob is just difficult to figure out. He's at his best when he's aggressive, and when he was aggressive he was scoring. It semed like he was just too cautious of the southpaw connecting with that big overhand left he had cocked all night.

I'm sure neither fighter is "impressed with their performance" and they'll be ready to swing for the fences next time around.

Post #7   3/2/09 2:51:25PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,923-1,070
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by SlingingSteel

boring ass fight! i would have rather pet the dog.

was that a slightly veiled masturbation joke?

I agree with you though.

Post #8   3/2/09 3:47:45PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I hate seeing people blame it entirely on Razor Rob. He was looking to counter and Hicks was barely throwing at all. Even when he did throw he threw 2 punch combos at the most and it was all hay. You can't blame Razor Rob for respecting his punching power. We've seen several times in the past that when people are willing to engage with Razor Rob he's willing to engage back. We've also seen people hate on Razor Rob before when it was the same cause. I don't know, I think it's unfair.

I will say this, though- with as much success as Rob obviously had with the mid-kick (I agree that Hicks looked hurt in rd 2 from a liver shot) I was surprised he didn't step it up and throw more. Or even throw some middles and change levels to go high as Hicks started dropping his hands. Varner had a lot of success setting up Hicks with the mid kick and then throwing knees in the clinch- why didn't Razor Rob employ the same techniques?

It was definitely a less than stellar fight, but again- I don't place all the blame on Razor Rob. There was more than 1 person in the cage

Post #9   3/2/09 6:51:32PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I didn't catch the event, but by comparison would you say it was more or less boring than Gonzaga vs Jordan back at UFC whatever a long time ago? (Excluding the knockout at the end of the Gonzaga fight)

Post #10   3/2/09 10:46:20PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I hate seeing people blame it entirely on Razor Rob. He was looking to counter and Hicks was barely throwing at all. Even when he did throw he threw 2 punch combos at the most and it was all hay. You can't blame Razor Rob for respecting his punching power. We've seen several times in the past that when people are willing to engage with Razor Rob he's willing to engage back. We've also seen people hate on Razor Rob before when it was the same cause. I don't know, I think it's unfair.

I will say this, though- with as much success as Rob obviously had with the mid-kick (I agree that Hicks looked hurt in rd 2 from a liver shot) I was surprised he didn't step it up and throw more. Or even throw some middles and change levels to go high as Hicks started dropping his hands. Varner had a lot of success setting up Hicks with the mid kick and then throwing knees in the clinch- why didn't Razor Rob employ the same techniques?

It was definitely a less than stellar fight, but again- I don't place all the blame on Razor Rob. There was more than 1 person in the cage

Razor won the fight by decision...

I he was the one coming forward to engage he landed more blows, Hicks IMO was still gun shy from his last fight....

If Hicks would have worked to engage more often or at all really. The fight would have had a higher chance of a TKO win by Razor

Overall the fight was average and did not live up to the hype I had in my own head...

Post #11   3/3/09 10:26:59AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I hate seeing people blame it entirely on Razor Rob.

Absolutely. Hicks looked awful. He'd throw one punch, like he was hoping to end the fight with it, then back off... and never changed his approach. He was so in love with his overhand left that anybody could have avoided it by the 2nd round. Calling him "one-dimensional" was being too generous, imo. While I loathe a counter-punching strategy, for the most part, McCullough was only one of the reasons this match dragged and dragged and...

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I didn't catch the event, but by comparison would you say it was more or less boring than Gonzaga vs Jordan back at UFC whatever a long time ago? (Excluding the knockout at the end of the Gonzaga fight)

No, it wasn't that bad. I give McCullough-Hicks a 2, out of 5.

Last edited 3/3/09 3:48PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #12   3/3/09 11:55:32AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

IMO the thing with Razor Rob's is that he was this knockout machine, that turned into a fighter that's scared to pull the trigger... I understand that he's waiting to counter, but he can't realistically expect all of his opponents to walk into a straight right, especially since they've seen tape on him...

Truth be told, Rob has great muay thai and in a fight that was almost exclusivley a standup affair where he had HALF A FOOT in reach advantage, to see him jab at the air and throw hooks and crosses like he was warming up prefight was rediculous... That's why I blame Razor Rob, anyways... The fight was in his realm and tailor made for him to get back in the W slot with a KO, but he just won't pull the trigger... He couldn't pull the trigger in the Varner fight, except for the one counter right he landed (and didn't follow threw on)... He couldn't engage in the Cerrone fight, and he didn't engage in the Hicks fight where he had a clear advantage in the stand up... I just have lost any want to watch Razor Rob fight on a televised card anymore... He can't expect people just to walk into him to get knocked out, it's not going to happen

Post #13   3/3/09 12:50:04PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
2, because at times they did engage.

I was very disappointed in Marcus. I think he was scared coming off that KO loss to Varner. If anything if I was him I would have looked at it as a positive. He didn't go down like a punk, he went down swinging against Varner and I think if he used that same stradegy he would have KO'd Razor Rob because he did rock Razor Rob and Rob's been dropped many times and KO'd before.

I hope this isn't the Hicks we see in the future. Just looking for the takedown being desparate for a guillotine. Not much of a win for Razor Rob IMHO. Hopefully Marcus Hicks goes back to his old aggressive self and let's that Guillotine show itself rather then him constantly look for it. I hope he can rebound and get back into contention.

Post #14   3/3/09 7:37:57PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
The fight was not good, but not the worst ever. 2.

Post #15   3/3/09 8:45:19PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2