Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Do you Rank Evan Tanner Top Ten MW of All Time

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

komodo20

MMA Regular

komodo20 Avatar

Career:1,556-1,094
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:
Do you Rank Evan Tanner Top Ten MW of All Time i think he is top ten former MW champ he fought a lot of tuff guys .R.I.P Evan Tanner He will be missed he was a good man and good fighter.

Post #1   3/1/09 8:47:14PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,550-799
Chips:
at 185 tanner is 5-4 i think
i dont know what weight he was in Pancrase

wins over baroni. lawler, terrel, levens

losses to, franklin, Loiseau, okami, grove

so i dont think he is top ten of all time

Post #2   3/1/09 8:55:54PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i say yes, but only because there isn't enough great MW fighters of all time at this stage of MMA. i was never too impressed with Tanner. people say it's because i am "too young" and other generalizations that are unfounded, but i really don't agree with his high standing. now, i do think he should be in the UFC HoF because he was a ground breaking champion who attracted alot of fans to the sport.

Post #3   3/1/09 9:18:45PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,550-799
Chips:
mma elo all time MW

Post #4   3/1/09 9:34:36PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i say yes, but only because there isn't enough great MW fighters of all time at this stage of MMA.

i agree 110%. at this point there are so few great mw fighters. Anderson, Franklin, and Henderson are really the only few guys who are guaranteed MW top 10 all time spots. Evan did beat a few top contenders of the era and brought fans and growth to the sport so for that i would give him a HoF spot and for the moment a low ranking in the top ten mw's of all time.

I really think it is too early to make an all time list for the sport anyways. The sport hasnt been legitimized long enough to make distinctions such as greatest

Post #5   3/1/09 10:32:43PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i say yes, but only because there isn't enough great MW fighters of all time at this stage of MMA.

i agree 110%. at this point there are so few great mw fighters. Anderson, Franklin, and Henderson are really the only few guys who are guaranteed MW top 10 all time spots. Evan did beat a few top contenders of the era and brought fans and growth to the sport so for that i would give him a HoF spot and for the moment a low ranking in the top ten mw's of all time.

I really think it is too early to make an all time list for the sport anyways. The sport hasnt been legitimized long enough to make distinctions such as greatest

agreed.....not enough middleweights to stand out and make a legit top 10 all time.....if you combine the fact that he was a top lhw at the time, fought tito for the belt, and he was a small lhw, hence the move to mw, then i say yes.....i do feel tho, that in 5 years, he wont be on the top 10 all time list tho, once the sport develops more

Post #6   3/1/09 10:57:50PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

mma elo all time MW

They have Paulo Filho #2 all time........really how accurate can they be

Simple arguement, Tanner was a great fighter and great champion but probably not top ten all time, close but not quite.

Like everyone has said, it would be a travesty to not give him a spot in the UFC Hall of fame though.

Evan Tanner, top ten or not he is a hero of the sport

Post #7   3/1/09 11:16:43PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He's definetely in the mix, but there are a lot of guys ahead of him. In my opinion he probably falls around the 8-10.

1- Anderson Silva
2- Kazushi Sakuraba
3- Dan Henderson
4- Rich Franklin
5- Frank Shamrock
6- Nate Marquardt
7- Matt Lindland
8- Jeremy Horn
9- Vitor Belfort

Here's where it gets muddled. You could put a number of guys here like Jason Miller, Murilio Bustamante, Kazuo Misaki, and probably a few other names.

Post #8   3/1/09 11:40:53PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Tanner was nothing special. He was inconsistant. The only thing that puts his name in the mix is that he died and had a great story. He once held the MW title in the weakest time in MW history and couldn't successfully defend it.

You've got Silva, Lawler, Marquardt, ranklin, Hendo, Saku, Maia, Gumby, Lindland, Filho, Lister, even Newton. A ton of guys could beat him in his "prime" (where drugs were probably affecting his bodies ability. )

And if you just want to compare legacies there are still ten guys minimum who would come ahead. He fought at a weak time in the division and still was inconsistant and mediocre.

I like the Tanner story as much as anyone else, but there's a difference between showing respect for the dead and nutthugging a guy because he died and you like his story. No.

Post #9   3/2/09 11:37:52AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,526-937
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

He's definetely in the mix, but there are a lot of guys ahead of him. In my opinion he probably falls around the 8-10.

1- Anderson Silva
2- Kazushi Sakuraba
3- Dan Henderson
4- Rich Franklin
5- Frank Shamrock
6- Nate Marquardt
7- Matt Lindland
8- Jeremy Horn
9- Vitor Belfort

Here's where it gets muddled. You could put a number of guys here like Jason Miller, Murilio Bustamante, Kazuo Misaki, and probably a few other names.

This list shows why it's difficult to rank a guy "all-time" in a weight class (other than HW). I wouldn't dispute that any of the names up there haven't accomplished more than Tanner overall, but Sakuraba (who could probably have made WW at one point) fought mainly at LHW and HW as did Henderson since Pride didn't have a 184 pound division until late in it's history (Henderson fought before and after at lighter weights in the UFC, but Saku only fought as a HW in the UFC). Belfort was a HW and LHW as well for most of his career and I beleive he's only fought once, most recently, at 185. Horn and Shamrock have fought above that weight many times (maybe most?), Franklin and Silva a few times and Marquardt was once fighting at a lighter weight.

So what consititues a MW career?

Either way I thinik Tanner (who was also a LHW for a while) will probably not be remembered as top 10. He was one of the best at his best, which is saying quite a lot, but not not one of the ten greatest across even the short era of MMA.

Post #10   3/2/09 12:44:58PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

1- Anderson Silva
2- Kazushi Sakuraba
3- Dan Henderson
4- Rich Franklin
5- Frank Shamrock
6- Nate Marquardt
7- Matt Lindland
8- Jeremy Horn
9- Vitor Belfort

This list in sensible except at the back with Belfort's inclusion. I can't remember him fighting at 185 before he fought Terry Martin. I do wonder under which weight class it would be better to classify Frank Shamrock - light heavyweight or middleweight. If middleweight, I would put him over Franklin (but behind Henderson).

If Tanner held a win over one of the nine Wolfenstein listed, I'd question the plausibility of adding him to such a list.

Last edited 3/2/09 1:44PM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   3/2/09 1:41:50PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I guess it does become difficult in terms of what division you place a guy, esecially since a lot of fighters have gone back and forth from MW to LHW etc. As far as Kazushi Sakuraba, I think for the most part he has always weighed around 185-195 in his bouts, particularly with Renzo and Royce.

I suppose Vitor is a little more out there as he's mostly fought at LHW. If he finishes his career out as a MW though I think there's a good argument to categorize him as a MW.

Post #12   3/2/09 3:10:38PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I liked the guy as a fighter but i cant put him in the top ten MW all time.

1 Silva
2 Hendo
3 Franklin
4 Mousasi
5 Linland
6 Horn
7 Marquardt
8 Okami
9 Maia
10 Manhoef....ya ya but i love this guy

Saku if he was only at MW

Last edited 3/3/09 9:38PM server time by bls1919
2 total post edits

Post #13   3/3/09 9:33:16PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,987-1,634
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think Tanner is a top ten all-time middleweight due to his wins over Phil Baroni and David Terell. He beat them when they were thought to be the next big thing in the weight class.

Last edited 3/16/09 7:43PM server time by tepid55

Post #14   3/5/09 4:07:20PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Evan is my boy. He had more heart then just about any fighter out there. He was a bluecollar fighter. I went to UFC 53 when Franklin destroyed him. Evans face looked like hamburger meat. But he still came out to fight. Herb finally stepped in and stopped it.

Evan was a true warrior, fight until the bitter end. That fight game needs more guys like him. A lunch pail fighter, that made you bring it.

RIP Evan, you'll always be missed.

And hell yes, he is a Top Ten

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #15   3/5/09 5:30:45PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2