Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

What did you waste your money on?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Ever sit there looking at a pile of something and say "What was I thinking when I bought that/those?" I think pretty much everyone, when you're a kid, teenager, or maybe an adult, has blown large amounts of money on something that was cool at the time, but you regret down the road. What is yours?

Mine are Magic: The Gathering cards. I was really into them when I was 12 or so, and loved them for about two years. I blew every cent I had on the things and asked for them for every birthday and Christmas. Now that I'm looking at my expenses for building my house, and seeing as I'm going to be woefully in debt over this, I decided to see what I had kicking around to sell.

I dug out my comic books, which actually retained their value well enough, so those are on the chopping block, and then I dug out my Magic cards, figuring I could sell them and make a mint off of them.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At current prices, I'll probably get $25 for a dozen or so rare cards. Cards that were going for big money are worth $1 now. I've got literally a thousand of the things, but I'll be lucky to get $100 for all of them.

My only hope now is to find a time machine, go back to 1994 and tell myself not to buy these stupid things.

So, what did you waste your money on?

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #1   3/26/07 2:25:06AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Sports cards, although I sold most before they actually lost a lot of value.They declared all cards from the 70 to mid 90's doubleprints in 94, but I got rid of most of therm in 91-92 I lived off them for over a year. I sold most of my comics too. I still have some boxes somewhere in my house, I just don't read them anymore. As far as wasted money , I would say various past girlfriends that weren't worth the time and cash I wasted on them.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #2   3/26/07 2:57:10AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
Putting $700 on Sobral to beat Lambert to win 300...(playmoney though)

nah..but really i would have to say on strippers.....i just im only 21 and as soon as i turned 21 my older brother took me to my first strip club...from then until now i have been to strip clubs here like maybe 7 times and have wasted a good $500-$600 on strippers and beer,its easy to spend money when you're buzzin and having fun.Its the next day when you're banging your head against the wall...

guilty pleasure i guess......

hope to go with my buddies again next week

Post #3   3/26/07 3:36:55AM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
the arlovski v. big tim 2 ppv, it SUCKED so bad,

besides that id have to say a fishing reel i bought 2 years ago that has not even been taken out of the box, what a shame

Post #4   3/26/07 7:40:06AM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
magic cards? they worth anything, i have a shit load from like 7 years ago

Post #5   3/26/07 7:41:35AM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Good thread. Yesterday I just bought 2 4 blade pantera claw and right after I had no idea what to do with it other than hang it up on display. I'll probably use it as a box opener and to unleash my fury on rotten fruit. I think weapons are to men what shoes are to women.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 3/26/07 10:06AM server time by Ydoc
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/26/07 10:06:12AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Beer, cocktails, shots, and strippers...

or I can't decide or remember

Post #7   3/26/07 11:19:24AM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Career:34-26
Chips:
Agreed, I spend quite a bit on liquor. It never seems like it though. How much could a bottle for the weekend throw you back?

I've spent a bit on mtg cards as well.

I've wasted a lot of money on jeans, I can never find the perfect pair.

PC games, half of them I've never played for more than an hour. (EQ took up my time during that period though...)

Music, I just end up ripping the goddamn album and never using the CD.

Sushi! omahfrikkngawd, there's a place called Sushi-Neko where I live and its the frikken shiznits. I'll throw down for some good sushi.

I could probably think of a few other things I wish I would have held back on.

Post #8   3/26/07 5:30:06PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Good stuff guys!

Hippy, I'm with you on girlfriends. I took myself and an ex on vacation for two weeks, spent piles of cash, and she dumped me like two weeks after.

Ydoc, weapons are only a waste up until you end up needing one, and then they're suddenly the best thing you ever bought. Granted, your claw isn't terribly practical, but one never knows.

As for sushi, I don't like it, but my older brother wastes his money on it. I just don't understand why you'd pay $70 for one meal that doesn't even fill you up. You could get four or five good meals for that price.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #9   3/27/07 12:51:56AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Good stuff guys!

Hippy, I'm with you on girlfriends. I took myself and an ex on vacation for two weeks, spent piles of cash, and she dumped me like two weeks after.

Ydoc, weapons are only a waste up until you end up needing one, and then they're suddenly the best thing you ever bought. Granted, your claw isn't terribly practical, but one never knows.

As for sushi, I don't like it, but my older brother wastes his money on it. I just don't understand why you'd pay $70 for one meal that doesn't even fill you up. You could get four or five good meals for that price.

lol...who uses a claw as a weapon anyways?..lol...if slaughtering people is your thing then im sure a machete works just as good if not better.

...i didnt know Sushi was so damn expensive!..$70 is more like 10 meals for me......Shit,with $70 you can make a kickass BBQ and a 24pack of Budweiser and feed the the whole Family....and Friends!..

Sushi

Post #10   3/27/07 4:23:02AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Sushi can be cheap, but if you make a meal out of it and want the high quality stuff it costs an arm and a leg. I'll just eat some pad thai, thank you very much.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #11   3/27/07 5:02:10AM   

FBD

Learning to Sprawl

FBD Avatar

Career:107-55
Chips:
weed

Post #12   3/27/07 11:03:27AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by FBD

weed

i would prolly feel the same way about weed if it wern't $1 a gram over here(even less if you buy by the QP or Lb.....There's some goood shit around right now,im gonna buy a dime(10g/$10....i get it hooked up...its usually about 7-8g) later on today before i run out.Prolly pick up a Coconut or Blueberry Bluntwrap too

Last edited 3/27/07 11:23AM server time by Trapt1nw0nder
Edit note/reason: ...i said Cococut...

Post #13   3/27/07 11:21:37AM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Career:34-26
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by FBD

weed

i would prolly feel the same way about weed if it wern't $1 a gram over here(even less if you buy by the QP or Lb.....There's some goood shit around right now,im gonna buy a dime(10g/$10....i get it hooked up...its usually about 7-8g) later on today before i run out.Prolly pick up a Coconut or Blueberry Bluntwrap too

Haha, wish I coulda gotten my money back on that stuff too. Ahh, but I wouldn't be the same person. For one, my musical tastes would not be as eclectic.

I'll take my money back on those frikkn plexiglass pieces though. Geez.

Last edited 3/27/07 11:42AM server time by hcazlekker
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   3/27/07 11:32:17AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Hip hop clothes. I spent every penny I had on hip hop clothes for like 4 years from when I was about 11 until I got 15. I even bought big ugly bling blings.

All photos on me from that period are ruined by me looking like an idiot with those big ass clothes that would still be way too big for me today 5 years later, 100 pounds heavier.

Being in love also make you do incredibly stupid stuff so I also agree with you on girlfriends.

Post #15   3/27/07 11:37:30AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2