Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Markham ''Didn't Mention Any Chest Pains at Pre-Fight Medical''

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Rory Markham did not mention anything about experiencing chest pains until after his fight with Dan Hardy at UFC 95, Fighters Only has learned.

Yesterday, a friend of Markham’s claimed that the Miletich fighter had sustained a collapsed lung prior to the fight, which allegedly affected his performance.

LINK

Post #1   2/28/09 12:33:24AM   

jascri

Learning to Sprawl

jascri Avatar

Career:7-10
Chips:
Well, you can't fake that. Hopefully he will get healthy and get another chance. One more chance--and no more collapsed lungs!

Post #2   2/28/09 12:40:30AM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
True or not, I don't want to hear about it. I hate when fighters, or their fans or friends, start making excuses after they lose. It's disrespectful to the opponent and makes you seem like a sore loser. Admit your opponent was the better man that night, don't give up on yourself, and come back a better fighter by learning from your mistakes. I respect and admire that much more than a fighter that makes excuses.

Post #3   2/28/09 12:52:38AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by gspfan

True or not, I don't want to hear about it. I hate when fighters, or their fans or friends, start making excuses after they lose. It's disrespectful to the opponent and makes you seem like a sore loser. Admit your opponent was the better man that night, don't give up on yourself, and come back a better fighter by learning from your mistakes. I respect and admire that much more than a fighter that makes excuses.

Even if it is something bad like a collapsed lung. If it's bad enough to affect your performance then don't fight. Injuries are no good, and if you choose to fight with one then don't make excuses for losing.

Post #4   2/28/09 1:02:28AM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Chips:
Yep. I don't mean to come down hard on Rory. I'm really a fan of his, and it was a friend who actually made the excuse. If it's true, I actually commend him for trying to fight through adversity, but I would not have blamed him for a second if he pulled out. Trying to hide and fight with an injury can be very dangerous and could possibly end a career. But like you said Boo, if you make the decision to fight anyway and end up losing, I don't want to hear the excuse afterwards.

Last edited 2/28/09 1:20AM server time by gspfan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/28/09 1:17:29AM   

chitownsfinest15

MMA Regular

chitownsfinest15 Avatar

Career:413-266
Camp: KMX 7249
Chips:
amazing how always when a fighter gets knocked the hell out their crew starts running their mouths....i like rory but if his lung was collapsed then doctors would have known and the fight wouldnt have happened......

Post #6   2/28/09 1:28:52AM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Well,I guess Rory has been fighting his entire career with a collapsed lung then,because he's always ate a lot of punches in his fights.This time he got caught early and was put away.A collapsed lung had nothing to do with his loss-it was his horrible defensive boxing skills.

But some fighters just can't bring themselves to say "Yeah,I lost because he was better than me tonight."

WB.

Last edited 2/28/09 3:04AM server time by WheelchairBandit

Post #7   2/28/09 3:03:50AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I still find it hard to beleive. A damaged lung mabeys, but collapsed? Wouldnt he visibly being struggling to breathe?

Its mute anyways, I could understand if he dominated round one then struggled with his breathing and lost the next 2, but he got caught with a perfect counter within like 2 minutes. Unless his lung can block punches then I think he just needs to accept his loss and tell his buddies to keep quiet.

Post #8   2/28/09 4:00:56AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
It's tragic for MMA that he may have fought with a collapsed lung. Somehow I don't buy it... you have to assume the commish had the doctors at some point in his medical check up auscultate his lungs. A collapsed lung would be hard to miss with a stethoscope.

If he did fight with a collapsed lung, then it just shows how much these guys put out there for the fans. It's not right. Then to come on the boards and see people talking about "stop making excuses" if the dude fought with a collapsed lung?- Man, that's dangerous. Some of you guys are asking way too much of these guys IMO. I agree with what you're saying about not fighting if you're that injured, but don't you guys realize the motivation and the reasons for not backing out of a fight? It's all pressure put on by the UFC and the fans themselves. Just check the boards- you're only as good as your last fight. If a guy controls a fighter an entire fight, but doesn't give the fans what they want in the form of a huge KO then he's boring and a LnP artist. We've seen this example a hundred times. I'm not trying to knock anyone specifically, but a lot of this stuff is a big deal. This is a dangerous sport, and it is my opinion that it's only a matter of time before something like a collapsed lung sliding through a commission causes a death in MMA, and we'll all be in a world of hurt. Fighter safety is paramount. Absolutely paramount.

It's yet another sign that we need a fighter's union IMO. These guys are so afraid of what backing out of a fight can do for their career that they are willing to fight with collapsed lungs?? If he'd have gotten a rib broken on the opposite side he could just as easily have been dead. Broken ribs are as common as can be, and it only takes a tiny bone fragment or a flail section to puncture the lungs pretty seriously. I mean literally, this is dead serious if it's true, and one punch could have killed the man. That's scary. MMA doesn't want a death like that on their hands. Nor does any athletic commission. So you'd have to assume it's all bullshit. At least I'm hoping it is. If it isn't bullshit, then we all as an MMA community need to seriously take a look at the underlying causes of this problem.

Last edited 2/28/09 11:05AM server time by Jackelope

Post #9   2/28/09 11:03:38AM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,516-872
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope
If he did fight with a collapsed lung, then it just shows how much these guys put out there for the fans. It's not right. Then to come on the boards and see people talking about "stop making excuses" if the dude fought with a collapsed lung?- Man, that's dangerous. Some of you guys are asking way too much of these guys IMO. I agree with what you're saying about not fighting if you're that injured, but don't you guys realize the motivation and the reasons for not backing out of a fight? It's all pressure put on by the UFC and the fans themselves. Just check the boards- you're only as good as your last fight. If a guy controls a fighter an entire fight, but doesn't give the fans what they want in the form of a huge KO then he's boring and a LnP artist. We've seen this example a hundred times. I'm not trying to knock anyone specifically, but a lot of this stuff is a big deal. This is a dangerous sport, and it is my opinion that it's only a matter of time before something like a collapsed lung sliding through a commission causes a death in MMA, and we'll all be in a world of hurt. Fighter safety is paramount. Absolutely paramount.

My thoughts exactly when I looked at this thread yesterday and saw people were actually saying "he's making excuses." I even remember the guy reporting it had to follow his statement up with "Rory is not making excuses." It's pretty bad that these guys have to immediately defend themselves with that statement anytime an injury is reported, especially an injury of this magnitude...should a fighter really have to be so protective that we cant know whether they're hurt after the fight?

Last edited 2/28/09 6:18PM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: Fighter/member bashing

Post #10   2/28/09 3:53:07PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Chips:

Posted by Solidus

Posted by Jackelope

My thoughts exactly when I looked at this thread yesterday and saw people were actually saying "he's making excuses." I even remember the guy reporting it had to follow his statement up with "Rory is not making excuses." It's pretty bad that these guys have to immediately defend themselves with that statement anytime an injury is reported, especially an injury of this magnitude...should a fighter really have to be so protective that we cant know whether they're hurt after the fight?

First of all, i'm not an idiot. It's my opinion. How would you feel if you were Dan Hardy? You just got the biggest win of your career only to have your opponent, or his friends, come along and make like it wasn't a fair fight because Rory has a collapsed lung. Like Dan really wasn't the better fighter that night, but only victorious due to unfortunate circumstances for Rory. The quote is, "allegedly affected his performance". It's trying to take away from Dans win. Just disrespectful IMO. I can see your guys point of view, and i'm not calling you idiots. It's just a difference in opinion.

Last edited 2/28/09 6:19PM server time by DCRage

Post #11   2/28/09 6:10:41PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Be a little more careful with your choices of words, people. Just had to edit a couple of posts due to comments bordering on fighter/member bashing.

Post #12   2/28/09 6:19:33PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by gspfan

Posted by Solidus

Posted by Jackelope

First of all, i'm not an idiot. It's my opinion. How would you feel if you were Dan Hardy? You just got the biggest win of your career only to have your opponent, or his friends, come along and make like it wasn't a fair fight because Rory has a collapsed lung. Like Dan really wasn't the better fighter that night, but only victorious due to unfortunate circumstances for Rory. The quote is, "allegedly affected his performance". It's trying to take away from Dans win. Just disrespectful IMO. I can see your guys point of view, and i'm not calling you idiots. It's just a difference in opinion.

I hope you didn't feel like I was calling you an idiot. I'm just asking for people to see from a different perspective here. I take nothing away from Hardy, and I even picked him to win the fight knowing he'd be the better man. I try not to look at things on the simple surface, however. I'm close with a well known fighter who recently suffered several serious injuries and I've had to watch the critics on the net talk and talk about fighters making excuses, when I know first hand what the guy is going through and they don't. It's tough to have to watch people question fighters hearts when you know they've put their all out there and then some.

These are very real issues surrounding the sport of MMA, and I feel like 80-90% of the fans don't realize the seriousness of them. Perhaps because I have an education in the medical field I tend to take these things more seriously- who knows. I don't want things like fighting with collapsed lungs or other serious injuries to continue setting a precedent in the sport.

Post #13   2/28/09 7:49:47PM