Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gonzaga VS. Carwin.....

Print  
  Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The amount of surface area also spreads the force of the impact among a larger area, therefore doing less damage than the same force applied over a smaller area.

Post #46   3/4/09 4:41:37PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Dragoslav

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Great point.....

But you could have missed mine....

Clearly you have to recognize the fact that Brock does have a Belt and he did destroy Heath and Randy, which he pretty much did with his size and athleticism... People around the world have remarked on how more dangerous he will become with each fight. Win or lose he learns more with each training camp.....

Now we have Carwin with a very similar Size and athletic advantage over his oponents... Only difference is that he has been brought through the ranks and actually has a record to stand on.. (10-0 1st round finishes under the 3 minute mark)

I didn't miss it. I thought it had been addressed earlier. Carwin has a lot of impressive victories...... over cans. And let's be completely real about Heath Herring. Heath Herring is a good fighter. He's had wars with some of the best. He ALMOST beat Nog...... almost. That said he has neither the BJJ nor the striking ability of Gonzaga. Carwin might have some submission, but not against any world class BJJ practitioners. Gonzaga is a Mundials champion. That's world class. It's almost as prestigious as an ADCC champion. Gonzaga also stood in the ring with the man was arguably the most feared striker in the sport at the time and won, by striking. In fact, with all Gonzaga's BJJ credentials I believe he only has one win in the UFC via submission.... against Carmello Marerro. Let's not compare apples and oranges here. Carwin's best chance to win involves catching Gonzaga with a big right hand, and Gonzaga is a smart enough fighter to be watching out for it.

If anyone is the future of Heavyweight, it's Gonzaga. A big, talented, well-rounded fighter who's just as dangerous on the ground as he is on the feet.

In three post you have earned my respect...

I do not agree with you...

But at least when challenged you back up your statements with thought....

I guess we will have to watch the fight and see....

Post #47   3/4/09 6:32:35PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
Force = mass x acceleration actually

Last edited 3/4/09 8:19PM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #48   3/4/09 7:30:12PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:
you know, the reason that im at this site right now is so that i DONT have to think about physics. i cant get away from it!!!

Post #49   3/4/09 8:09:28PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74 i believe

Force = mass x times acceleration actually

assuming there is acceleration... if the object has no acceleration you have to base it off velocity. its just a much easier formula.
F=D(MV)/DT but assuming you know the object is at a steady speed D/DT has no relevance

i may bee to intoxicated but i believe that is true

Last edited 3/4/09 8:23PM server time by mkiv9secsupra

Post #50   3/4/09 8:21:08PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

assuming there is acceleration... if the object has no acceleration you have to base it off velocity. its just a much easier formula.
F=D/DT(MV) but assuming you know the object is at a steady speed D/DT has no relevance

no, if acceleration is zero, then it is at a constant velocity, which means no force is acting on the object. plus, if you multiply anything by zero, then you get zero

Last edited 3/4/09 8:25PM server time by dannyfrank

Post #51   3/4/09 8:24:08PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:
i was just being a jerk lol.

but...if you want to get down to it, i'm in AP physics and aced the state physics exam so:

dannyfrank is right
0 acceleration = constant velocity
0 acceleration = 0 force

the faster your hand is accelerating the more force you exert.
the heavier your hand the more more force you exert

F=ma
a=v/t
v= dx/dt
a=dv/dt

so it is more about the change in speed and not about the actual speed that impacts the force

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back to the topic though, Gonzaga has a questionable heart, no way to get this to the ground and is facing off against Jackson's camp. Carwin just has to win the battle on the feet and make sure he dot's his i's and crosses his t's on the ground. Gonzaga's guard isn't as impressive as people think though, at least not in MMA. there is a difference in pure BJJ and MMA JJ and in MMA JJ Gonzaga is lacking a bit. i still think he can sub Carwin but i doubt it will be from guard. if he was going to sub him it would be from a dominant position, which is hard to get against a guy like Carwin who will dictate whether or not this will be on the ground.

Last edited 3/4/09 8:41PM server time by jiujitsufreak74

Post #52   3/4/09 8:37:30PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

F=D/DT(MV) but assuming you know the object is at a steady speed D/DT has no relevance

no, if acceleration is zero, then it is at a constant velocity, which means no force is acting on the object. plus, if you multiply anything by zero, then you get zero

newtons second law also says that 0 acceleration on an object in motion(or rest) means that it will not slow down or speed up. when i mean D/DT is not relevant it means treat that part of the formula as the fraction 1/1 and it means nothing. That is why i say force is essentially mass × velocity

Post #53   3/4/09 8:47:06PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

newtons second law also says that 0 acceleration on an object in motion(or rest) means that it will not slow down or speed up. when i mean D/DT is not relevant it means treat that part of the formula as the fraction 1/1 and it means nothing. That is why i say force is essentially mass × velocity

0 acceleration is constant velocity that brings about 0 force. acceleration is the change in velocity, if there is no change in velocity then there is no force. the actual magnitude of the velocity has 0 impact on the force, it is just the magnitude of the change of velocity.

however, there is momentum. p=mv. there is momentum but no force with constant velocity.

Last edited 3/4/09 8:53PM server time by jiujitsufreak74

Post #54   3/4/09 8:53:00PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by jiujitsufreak74
dannyfrank is right
0 acceleration = 0 force

the faster your hand is accelerating the more force you exert
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Bingo! we have an idiot on the site!

his name is Mkiv9secsupra!!

ha i just looked it up in my old physics books from a few years ago! thank god that wasnt on my asvab

props for jjfreak and danny for pointing out the reatard lol

believe me dude, when it comes to the topic of physics, im pretty retarded too sometimes

Last edited 3/4/09 9:11PM server time by dannyfrank

Post #55   3/4/09 9:09:35PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I think you guys should forget about submissions, you cant sub someone you cant take down and control. I dont see Carwin being stupid enough to take Gonzaga to the ground either so lets just assume this will be a stand up fight.

I like Gonzaga if this turns into a kick boxing match, we all know he has great kicks and fair hands. I think this fight is really his to loose and it will all depend on his strategy.

If this turns into a slug fest and/or Gonzaga gases out like he did against randy for instance, Carwin will have the power to cave in his face. Carwin needs Gonzaga to come forward and be willing to bang or he's going to have a hard time landing the power shots that win him fights.

I think this is a very difficult fight to make a pick with any confidence, in the end you have to go with who you think will implement there game plan effectively and for that reason alone I took Gonzaga, his experience should be a factor in dictating how this fight plays out but with that said Carwin only needs Gonzaga to make one mistake and the fight could be over.

P.S.
With a kick or a punch, where the mass is constant the acceleration is the determining factor in force production. Force=Mass x Acceleration. In striking acceleration is generally thought of as hand speed and dose play a role in the force of a punch.

Last edited 3/5/09 4:30AM server time by slapshot
3 total post edits

Post #56   3/5/09 3:52:23AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

but...if you want to get down to it, i'm in AP physics and aced the state physics exam so:

dannyfrank is right
constant velocity = constant force

the more force you exert the faster your hand is accelerating.
the heavier(mass) your hand the more momentum, power you exert on impact.

F=ma
a=v/t
v= dx/dt
a=dv/dt

so it is more about the change in speed and not about the actual speed that impacts the force

Fixed, you might want to go hit the books I bit harder.

Last edited 3/5/09 4:52AM server time by slapshot
4 total post edits

Post #57   3/5/09 4:38:31AM   

jawbreaker517

MMA Regular

jawbreaker517 Avatar

Career:105-53
Camp: Pound 'Em Out Fighting Systems
Chips:
Gonzaga is probably the more well-rounded fighter, but let's hope he doesn't get caught with a clean punch from Carwin, cause that may be lights out for Gonzaga.

Post #58   3/5/09 1:12:36PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by slapshot

dannyfrank is right
constant velocity = constant force

the more force you exert the faster your hand is accelerating.
the heavier(mass) your hand the more momentum, power you exert on impact.

F=ma
a=v/t
v= dx/dt
a=dv/dt

Fixed, you might want to go hit the books I bit harder.

actually i was not wrong. you corrected nothing and just added momentum which i touched on in a different post. P=mv. increasing the mass increases both the force and momentum. i wasn't arguing either side, i was justy pointing out physics equations. nice try though

Post #59   3/5/09 2:18:41PM   

monk111

Learning to Sprawl

monk111 Avatar

Career:191-154
Camp: 209 Fight Fans
Chips:
WOW YOU GUYS TOOK THIS TO A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL.. I JUST WANTED SOME INPUT ON THE FIGHT NOT A PHYSICS LESSON.. but thanx just the same you guys are highly entertaining...

Post #60   3/6/09 2:14:25AM   

Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6