Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gonzaga VS. Carwin.....

Print  
  Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by copcopps

I think Carwin will win, not becuse he's a better fighter per say but a bigger more well-rounded fighter, plus he has 5XL gloves

Carwin is more well rounded that Gonzaga? I did not know this. However, if that's the case then I'll probably pick Gonzaga anyways because I think Gonzaga has more experience and has shown greater versatility.

When did Gonzaga had wrestling? I've only seen him have BJJ and kickboxing?

Post #31   3/3/09 10:36:11AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by copcopps

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by copcopps

I think Carwin will win, not becuse he's a better fighter per say but a bigger more well-rounded fighter, plus he has 5XL gloves

Carwin is more well rounded that Gonzaga? I did not know this. However, if that's the case then I'll probably pick Gonzaga anyways because I think Gonzaga has more experience and has shown greater versatility.

I gotta say that Gonzaga is more well rounded from what I have seen as well. You've only seen him have BJJ and kickboxing but I've only seen Carwin have wrestling and punching power. His JJ hasn't been tested yet, and I think Gabe will be able to pull off the sub in this one.

And on another note...why do people make a big deal about the size of people's hands. I don't understand it. "Brock has 4XL gloves, Carwin has 5XL gloves..." I just don't get it.

Post #32   3/3/09 11:11:51AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by copcopps

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by copcopps

ok.
I feel like Carwin has shown some punching power and wrestling while Gabe has shown kicks, punches and submissions as well the ability to fight even into the later rounds.

I actually think I am going to pick Carwin now but still say Gonzaga is more versatile

Post #33   3/3/09 2:44:43PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by copcopps

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by copcopps

ok.
I feel like Carwin has shown some punching power and wrestling while Gabe has shown kicks, punches and submissions as well the ability to fight even into the later rounds.

I actually think I am going to pick Carwin now but still say Gonzaga is more versatile

Fair enough on your points, I'm putting money on Gabe anyway

Post #34   3/3/09 6:07:38PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
I really want to see Carwin win this fight and continue to climb the HW ladder, but.... I see GG winning. People forget how disgusting his JJ is, I think we will all get a reminder of how good his ground game really is.

Post #35   3/3/09 6:38:48PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I see this looking like Werdum vs Gonzaga too. Gonzaga outpoints em in the 1st but then gets alittle tired and Carwin has too much fight in him to quit and I think he lands a big one in the 2nd to put him in trouble and then finishes him violently after that.

Post #36   3/3/09 6:52:01PM   

Dragoslav

MMA Regular

Career:16-10
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

But if you compare Carwin to the current UFC Champ.....

What you get is this...

Brock = 4XL gloves

Carwin = 5XL gloves

Brock = Division 1 national champ

Carwin = Division 2 national champ

Brocks record before the UFC 1-0 with one Finish

Carwins record before the UFC 8-0 with 8 Finishes all in the first round under the 3 minute mark, not to mention he found wins with KO's Subs and TKO's in those fights....

Brock is 6'2 and weighs about 270lbs

Carwin is 6'4 and weighs about 255lbs

Brock now has the Belt and Has beaten to legends in the sport, because of his size and wrestling Knowledge. people acclaim how could he could be or would be if he would have had a little whil longer to learn the ropes....

Well that could be IMO could be what we get out of Carwin !!

I want to take nothing away from Gonzaga, I am sure he has heart and talent and all the rest of the stuff stated in opinions above this post....

But we a have stated at one point in time how the Heavyweight class is lacking, and IMO this years will be the year that the new guys take this class to the next level...

And for that to happen Gonzaga really cannot win, WAR CARWIN

And after all that Brock Lesnar got submitted in his first UFC match by a guy who has worse BJJ than Gonzaga and is a less dangerous striker than Gonzaga. Also, there's a big difference between Lesnar's wrestling and Carwin's wrestling, moreso than just the fact that Div 1 vs Div 2 champs. Lesnar had an overall college record of 112-4 and went undefeated in his last two years in Division I. Carwin's credentials don't even come close.

Post #37   3/4/09 9:52:46AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
why do people mention glove sizes when speaking about UFC fighters, is it an indication of how they will fight?

Post #38   3/4/09 10:07:24AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

why do people mention glove sizes when speaking about UFC fighters, is it an indication of how they will fight?

Not necessarily, but would you rather be hit in the face with a basketball or a medicine ball?

Last edited 3/4/09 10:19AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #39   3/4/09 10:18:58AM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by Dragoslav

Posted by Kracker_Jap

But if you compare Carwin to the current UFC Champ.....

What you get is this...

Brock = 4XL gloves

Carwin = 5XL gloves

Brock = Division 1 national champ

Carwin = Division 2 national champ

Brocks record before the UFC 1-0 with one Finish

Carwins record before the UFC 8-0 with 8 Finishes all in the first round under the 3 minute mark, not to mention he found wins with KO's Subs and TKO's in those fights....

Brock is 6'2 and weighs about 270lbs

Carwin is 6'4 and weighs about 255lbs

Brock now has the Belt and Has beaten to legends in the sport, because of his size and wrestling Knowledge. people acclaim how could he could be or would be if he would have had a little whil longer to learn the ropes....

Well that could be IMO could be what we get out of Carwin !!

I want to take nothing away from Gonzaga, I am sure he has heart and talent and all the rest of the stuff stated in opinions above this post....

But we a have stated at one point in time how the Heavyweight class is lacking, and IMO this years will be the year that the new guys take this class to the next level...

And for that to happen Gonzaga really cannot win, WAR CARWIN

And after all that Brock Lesnar got submitted in his first UFC match by a guy who has worse BJJ than Gonzaga and is a less dangerous striker than Gonzaga. Also, there's a big difference between Lesnar's wrestling and Carwin's wrestling, moreso than just the fact that Div 1 vs Div 2 champs. Lesnar had an overall college record of 112-4 and went undefeated in his last two years in Division I. Carwin's credentials don't even come close.

Great point.....

But you could have missed mine....

Clearly you have to recognize the fact that Brock does have a Belt and he did destroy Heath and Randy, which he pretty much did with his size and athleticism... People around the world have remarked on how more dangerous he will become with each fight. Win or lose he learns more with each training camp.....

Now we have Carwin with a very similar Size and athletic advantage over his oponents... Only difference is that he has been brought through the ranks and actually has a record to stand on.. (10-0 1st round finishes under the 3 minute mark)

Post #40   3/4/09 10:40:46AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
lesnar has the better wrestling pedigree, but the difference between a division 1 and div 2 wrestler isnt always that big. a lot of div 2 guys are better than the d1 guys, but they either are head cases(wrestlers almost always have a screw loose), have bad grades, or wrestled for little high schools and didnt get as much attention from the bigger programs. a lot of the kids growing up in rural areas are unbelievable wrestlers but dont get noticed until they place at state their senior years and by then its too late to get that big 10 or big 12 scholarship, and their families cant afford to send them there to try to make the team as a non scholarship wrestler. wrestling is not the same as football or basketball when talking about the difference between d1 and d2.

Post #41   3/4/09 11:01:52AM   

Dragoslav

MMA Regular

Career:16-10
Chips:

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Great point.....

But you could have missed mine....

Clearly you have to recognize the fact that Brock does have a Belt and he did destroy Heath and Randy, which he pretty much did with his size and athleticism... People around the world have remarked on how more dangerous he will become with each fight. Win or lose he learns more with each training camp.....

Now we have Carwin with a very similar Size and athletic advantage over his oponents... Only difference is that he has been brought through the ranks and actually has a record to stand on.. (10-0 1st round finishes under the 3 minute mark)

I didn't miss it. I thought it had been addressed earlier. Carwin has a lot of impressive victories...... over cans. And let's be completely real about Heath Herring. Heath Herring is a good fighter. He's had wars with some of the best. He ALMOST beat Nog...... almost. That said he has neither the BJJ nor the striking ability of Gonzaga. Carwin might have some submission, but not against any world class BJJ practitioners. Gonzaga is a Mundials champion. That's world class. It's almost as prestigious as an ADCC champion. Gonzaga also stood in the ring with the man was arguably the most feared striker in the sport at the time and won, by striking. In fact, with all Gonzaga's BJJ credentials I believe he only has one win in the UFC via submission.... against Carmello Marerro. Let's not compare apples and oranges here. Carwin's best chance to win involves catching Gonzaga with a big right hand, and Gonzaga is a smart enough fighter to be watching out for it.

If anyone is the future of Heavyweight, it's Gonzaga. A big, talented, well-rounded fighter who's just as dangerous on the ground as he is on the feet.

Last edited 3/4/09 3:26PM server time by Dragoslav

Post #42   3/4/09 3:26:11PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
just want to comment on something: Mir's MMA JJ > GG's MMA JJ

Post #43   3/4/09 4:05:51PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21
And on another note...why do people make a big deal about the size of people's hands. I don't understand it. "Brock has 4XL gloves, Carwin has 5XL gloves..." I just don't get it.

well essentially Force = Mass x Velocity

If Carwin and Lesnar landed a straight right and their arms were travelling at the same velocity, Carwin would actually have hit 25% harder.

Its not really an indication of anything other than potentially how hard someone can hit.

Last edited 3/4/09 4:24PM server time by mkiv9secsupra

Post #44   3/4/09 4:23:27PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Boo_Radley21

well essentially Force = Mass x Velocity

If Carwin and Lesnar landed a straight right and their arms were travelling at the same velocity, Carwin would actually have hit 25% harder.

Its not really an indication of anything other than potentially how hard someone can hit.

Exactly...

Posted by emfleek

Posted by State_Champ

Not necessarily, but would you rather be hit in the face with a basketball or a medicine ball?

Post #45   3/4/09 4:31:09PM   

Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6