Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gonzaga VS. Carwin.....

Print  
  Page 1 of 6     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

monk111

Learning to Sprawl

monk111 Avatar

Career:191-154
Camp: 209 Fight Fans
Chips:
I am having trouble making up my mind on this one!! anybody care to add some input, please be my guest..

Post #1   2/26/09 1:27:50AM   

ravanunen

MMA Regular

Career:358-213
Chips:
I think Gonzaga has the edge here. He has fought higher caliber opponents, and is much more well rounded.
They both have knock out power, but Gonzaga has good BJJ skills. Also, Carwin has never been out of the 1st round, so we don't know how well conditioned he will be.

Post #2   2/26/09 2:14:29AM   

backalley101

bARE pALM bOMBS

backalley101 Avatar

Career:2,124-1,304
Chips:

Posted by monk111

I am having trouble making up my mind on this one!! anybody care to add some input, please be my guest..

Gonzaga

Post #3   2/26/09 6:32:24AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
From what I saw against Christian Wellisch, Carwin's boxing looked pretty sloppy, with not very much head movement. I think that Gonzaga keeps him at bay on the feet, and Carwin reverts to wrestling. Once it hits the mat it's Gonzaga's, easily.

Post #4   2/26/09 8:26:18AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,078-848
Chips:
You are underestimating Carwins world class wrestling, and good striking and power.

He wins this easy on the feet by KO early, on the ground by KO or controlling postion. We have seen so many times in the past couple years were BJJ isnt as good as it was because of world class wrestlers being able to smother BJJ peeps and avoid the subs, and deliever brutal GNP ala GSP v BJPenn 2.........

This is no contest Carwin dominates gets a fight with Kongo for #1 contender, wins that, and its the battle of big hands brock v carwin!

Post #5   2/26/09 9:16:57AM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,605-1,426
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by monk111

Well Monk, its a hard one to call.

Gonzaga has the experience on his side because he's been in the big show and fought big opponents such as Cro Cop, Couture, and Werdum. He's looked great lately against lesser known opponents such as McCully and Hendricks. He's been showcasing very well rounded skills and has numerous tools to finish fights. If he's shown one weakeness, its that his will is easy to break, as you can see in his fight with Werdum. As such, I think the longer this fight goes, the better chance Carwin has of taking it. Gonzga needs to capitalize on his slick jj and powerful head kick to put Carwin away fast.

Its still relatively early in Carwins career, and although he also has 10 fights, he hasnt fought many noteworthy opponents, so it still remains to be seen if this guy is for real. This fight will answer alot of questions, because if he wins he will be an instant HW contender. The UFC is throwing him to the wolves to see what happens. He's a devestating striker and has great wrestling. Therefore, I think he's either going to grind out a gnp or possibly LnP decision over Gonzaga or he will be looking for a flash KO followed up by some devestating GnP.

So it really comes down to strength vs skill (thought Gonzaga is a powerful fighter in his own right). Probably one of the hardest fights on the card to call.

I'm taking Gonzaga by submission. GG is a beast on the ground and I think if Carwin takes him down at somepoint Gonzaga will catch him with an armbar or maybe kimura, probably second round.

Post #6   2/26/09 9:39:07AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
right now i have carwin in upset
only cause he has one punch knockout power and gonzaga attends to give up when he is getting battered, if it hits the ground gonzaga will win , but i think carwin might ko him the werdum fight said alot when a bjj guy with little striking out striked gonzaga who is a hell of alot better, gonzaga quit in that match, the fact the ufc has hand fed him easy opponents, carwin is the real deal, i won't be surprised which either guy takes it, i like gonzaga alot, but i need to realize that i sometimes play with favorites even though reality wants me to pick the other guy

Post #7   2/26/09 10:34:00AM   

NinjaCyborg

Forum Banned

NinjaCyborg Avatar

Career:175-184
Camp: Double Deuce
Chips:
Carwin has never been out of the first round. I think that should tell you something. Don't expect Gonzaga to make it out of the first.

Post #8   2/26/09 1:47:15PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
It kills me to think that Carwin will win this but he actually might because he hits hard and Gonzaga doesn't like being hit.
I absolutely think that Gonzaga is the better / more rounded fighter but Carwin just seems to throw powerful punches.
Over all, I think Gonzaga is the best choice.

Post #9   2/26/09 2:07:48PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
I guarantee Gonzaga wins by KO in the first round.

Post #10   2/26/09 2:46:18PM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
The key is to not back off Gonzaga keep in his face IMO he's a great fighter but he lacks some heart. When the fight gets tough he seems to break down. Thats what I saw against both Randy and Werdum.

Post #11   2/26/09 3:20:01PM   

ravanunen

MMA Regular

Career:358-213
Chips:

Posted by tmas

This is no contest Carwin dominates gets a fight with Kongo for #1 contender, wins that, and its the battle of big hands brock v carwin!

You seem to be forgetting Dos Santos and Cain, both those guys hit pretty hard too. I just don't see carwin taking on brock

Post #12   2/26/09 9:23:40PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
There have been a lot of fights that I've been excited for lately. I gotta go with Gonzaga because he's the more experienced guy, and both are really skilled fighters.

Post #13   2/26/09 11:12:26PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Gabriel has him in every facet minus wrestling, maybe, using his loss to Couture to pick Carwin is kind of wrong because Randy and Shane have different wrestling styles, Randy is more of the greco roman style which in my opinion is the superior style for mma. I think Gabe will establish hes the much better striker and if Carwin clinches I think everyone will be surprised how well Gonzaga does. Carwin hasnt faced a brazilian jiu jitsu black belt yet and Gabe is among the best at HW all around, this fight will be brutal but look for Gabe to take control on the ground and submit him. I think Carwin needs to try and blanket Gabe, tire him out, dirty box a lot, we'll see Carwins tank in this if he dosnt get a quick KO, but standing you have to give it to Gabe.

Post #14   2/26/09 11:26:58PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by tmas

That's what I always thought. And considering Carwin is now at Jackson camp, he'll win.

Post #15   2/27/09 12:56:17AM   

Page 1 of 6     1     2     3     4   >>