Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Melvin Manhoef: Walking Hand Grenade

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,792-1,044
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Concussions, knockouts and migraine headaches have been handed out freely throughout the career of one of the absolute most dangerous strikers in the brief history of the sport.

Melvin Manhoef is the very definition of a knockout artist. A walking hand grenade. Twenty three times he has tasted victory in mixed martial arts and twenty two of those times the Dutch terminator has finished his fights on his terms, violently, and by knockout.

LINK

Post #1   2/24/09 2:01:53PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Yeah- that boy is a wrecking machine. There's just no other way to put it. The only probelm is, he's a very one-dimensional wrecking machine. He's never going to have the chops to win and retain a title in the bigger promotions.

He's very entertaining to watch, especially for casual fans. I think he'd be great on a CBS card some day. But lets face it...The fuse to that granade goes out the second he's off his feet.

Post #2   2/24/09 2:40:21PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
Has anyone gotten him to the ground though?

Post #3   2/24/09 2:41:15PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by soundboy1

Yeah, mostly the elite though, if your not top notch anymore you get KO'd like Saku.

Sexyama (Yoshihiro Akiyama), Dong Sik Yoon and Mousasi have all tapped him out, he has also shown that he can be [T]KO'd in his fights with Schrijber and "Rodney Glunter" (formerly Rodney Faverus).

Post #4   2/24/09 3:11:06PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by soundboy1

Yeah, mostly the elite though, if your not top notch anymore you get KO'd like Saku.

Sexyama (Yoshihiro Akiyama), Dong Sik Yoon and Mousasi have all tapped him out, he has also shown that he can be [T]KO'd in his fights with Schrijber and "Rodney Glunter" (formerly Rodney Faverus).

yea but who wouldn't want to roll around with sexyama! Manhoef probably laid down on purpose, i know i would!

Post #5   2/24/09 3:21:12PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by soundboy1

yea but who wouldn't want to roll around with sexyama! Manhoef probably laid down on purpose, i know i would!

I figured as much from your avtar....

Last edited 2/24/09 3:37PM server time by cmill21
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/24/09 3:37:26PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by soundboy1

Melvin tried getting his number but he said "1 less bitch I gotta worry about"

Last edited 2/24/09 7:00PM server time by EvenFlow
2 total post edits

Post #7   2/24/09 3:38:38PM   

fizz

MMA Regular

fizz Avatar

Career:1,819-941
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I woudnt ...peapol say hes really Oily!!

Post #8   2/24/09 4:10:02PM   

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by soundboy1

Something about this post seems off...can't quite put my finger on it

Last edited 2/24/09 4:39PM server time by BDON911

Post #9   2/24/09 4:39:16PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I know when my college buddies and I get together we cause a pretty big ruckus wherever we go and can get a little wild...

I couldn't imagine Badr Hari and Melvin Manhoef walking into a bar and getting a "little wild"... that would be a combo of a couple a baaad ass dudes...

To be honest... The people that just consider Melvin a one dimensional fighter... The list of people that have submitted him is pretty top drawer... Moose and Sexiyama both have top notch ground games and are highly regarded middle weights and DSYoon is pretty hit or miss but was seemingly on an armbar tear at the time...

I mean even Anderson has sub losses to Chonan (who I think has skills but is undersized for MW) and a somewhat embarassing loss to Takase although it was really early in Silva's career...

All I'm trying to say is that with an athlete like Melvin, a little sub and TD defense can go a long way... He's proven his striking is unmatched @ 185 and a dangerous combination of having that kind of raw power and being able to keep a fight on the feet can a champion make (ala a new aged Chuck Liddell)

Post #10   2/24/09 5:54:56PM   

The_Grim_Reaper

MMA Regular

The_Grim_Reaper Avatar

Career:349-212
Camp: Soulless Ones
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I know when my college buddies and I get together we cause a pretty big ruckus wherever we go and can get a little wild...

I couldn't imagine Badr Hari and Melvin Manhoef walking into a bar and getting a "little wild"... that would be a combo of a couple a baaad ass dudes...

To be honest... The people that just consider Melvin a one dimensional fighter... The list of people that have submitted him is pretty top drawer... Moose and Sexiyama both have top notch ground games and are highly regarded middle weights and DSYoon is pretty hit or miss but was seemingly on an armbar tear at the time...

I mean even Anderson has sub losses to Chonan (who I think has skills but is undersized for MW) and a somewhat embarassing loss to Takase although it was really early in Silva's career...

All I'm trying to say is that with an athlete like Melvin, a little sub and TD defense can go a long way... He's proven his striking is unmatched @ 185 and a dangerous combination of having that kind of raw power and being able to keep a fight on the feet can a champion make (ala a new aged Chuck Liddell)

Chonan fight at 170 now, and i beleive melvins time training with att will greatly improve his td defense

Post #11   2/24/09 9:47:02PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I think for all of the above mentioned reasons Melvin is good enuf and creates enuf talk to get more exposure. I'm not on any bandwagon about him, but I think he could sell in the US.

Post #12   2/24/09 11:59:26PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

I think for all of the above mentioned reasons Melvin is good enuf and creates enuf talk to get more exposure. I'm not on any bandwagon about him, but I think he could sell in the US.

Could you imagin clips of Hunt not falling to a few CC head kicks then Melvin dropping him with one punch? Instant star.

Post #13   2/25/09 1:38:52AM