Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Offense of ‘Intelligent Defense’

Print  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It didn't deserve a MacArthur fellowship, but I don't see anything defensively dull or dimwitted about Josh Koscheck turning his hips and extending his arm to shield Paulo Thiago from pouncing on him Saturday at UFC 95.

Brian Cobb butt scooting and attempting a weak double-leg doesn't warrant a Nobel Prize in defense either, but I would hardly call it brainless or idiotic.

Unfortunately, it seems they still weren't "intelligent" enough.

Let me be clear about what this is, or more pertinently, what it isn't. This is not an assertion that any of the evening's contentious proceedings would've wound up with a different victor if allowed to continue. This is not a criticism of any of the stoppages at UFC 95, nor is it an indictment of officials Dan Miragliotta, Kevin Mulhall, Leon Roberts and Marc Goddard.

In fact, given the current climate of refereeing in MMA, all of the event's referees did their jobs to the letter and their stoppages were just.

Instead, this is an inquiry into whether the refereeing standards in MMA are appropriate. UFC 95 was not an assortment of irresponsible stoppages but an illustration of the intensifying issue of what constitutes a justifiable end to a fight, as the margin between winning and losing in MMA has become hideously deformed.link

Great editorial by Jordan Breen

Post #1   2/22/09 7:07:11PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
There's so much controversy in every UFC event regarding stoppages. I can't remember the last time I've seen an event that didn't at least have a debatable stoppage. I'm not really sure what can be done to remedy the situation, but hopefully some MMA braniacs can come up with a few ideas.

Post #2   2/22/09 7:15:50PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,700-926
Chips:
Read this earlier and basically agreed the entire way through. The stoppages last night, in an analogy, would be akin to Demian Maia slapping on a submission and the referee calling the fight before his opponent passed out or tapped. A knockdown isn't a knockout.

Never saw a Sherdog editorial take on such a thoroughly angry tone. Usually it's anger with a touch of sarcasm to lighten the message up.

Post #3   2/22/09 7:17:33PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

There's so much controversy in every UFC event regarding stoppages. I can't remember the last time I've seen an event that didn't at least have a debatable stoppage.

UFC 94

Post #4   2/22/09 7:18:42PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
I gotta say.. excellent article.. This is something that refs should come to under stand.. an extra punch or two is not going to be that bad in the long scheme of things.. now if a fighter is out cold that's a different story..

Post #5   2/22/09 7:21:24PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Read this earlier and basically agreed the entire way through. The stoppages last night, in an analogy, would be akin to Demian Maia slapping on a submission and the referee calling the fight before his opponent passed out or tapped. A knockdown isn't a knockout.

Never saw a Sherdog editorial take on such a thoroughly angry tone. Usually it's anger with a touch of sarcasm to lighten the message up.

I did not think the article seemed angry at all.. I thought it was more direct and straight forward.

Post #6   2/22/09 7:24:07PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by Wolfenstein

There's so much controversy in every UFC event regarding stoppages. I can't remember the last time I've seen an event that didn't at least have a debatable stoppage.

UFC 94

Grease Gate

Post #7   2/22/09 9:10:46PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by Wolfenstein

UFC 94

Grease Gate

The only reason ufc 94 didnt have any controversy regarding stoppage, was because the ref only stepped in to stop it once the whole night.

There were however many controversial decisions that night.

Post #8   2/22/09 9:50:37PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Fans find something to bitch about after every card,no matter what.After UFC 93 it was the Franklin/Hendo decision.After UFC 94 it was Grease Gate.After UFN 17 it was Josh Neer's behavior and the Grice-Veach stoppage.Now it's the Kos stoppage.Next week it will be something that happens at the WEC and after that whatever happens at UFC 96 and so forth and so on.

No matter what,the hardcore's will always find something to complain about.

WB.

Post #9   2/22/09 10:08:50PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
there were no debatable stoppage's at ufc 94 but debatable issues like the judging and gsp/bj grease. But im pretty sure silva/machida wasnt debatable and I picked silva.

Post #10   2/22/09 11:01:59PM   

R-Bandd

Learning to Sprawl

R-Bandd Avatar

Career:461-367
Chips:
Great read, thanks

Post #11   2/23/09 10:49:45AM