Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Josh Koscheck Is Not Happy

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Josh Koscheck is clearly not happy about the stoppage in his UFC 95 fight with Paulo Thiago. In this backstage video from The Telegraph he insists his hands were up, his eyes were open, and his guard was ready. His cornermen seem to feel the early stoppage was part of a trend on the night -- perhaps a dig at "regional referees" in the U.K.?

LINK

Last edited 2/24/09 2:18PM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/22/09 12:26:12PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
I have to agree a little with JOsh I mean he was clearly rocked and he did get dropped put as Paulo was going to pounce on him and the Ref jumped in Josh was getting his hands up in defense. The ref should have let that play out it was a little premature. I feel the same with the Struve fight but I think he was in a lot more trouble then Josh. IMO

Post #2   2/22/09 12:33:37PM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
I fully agree with Josh
wow cant believe i said that out loud

The stoppage was premature for sure
I agree we have to air on the side of caution but come on these guys are fighters not dancers lol the ref should have let that one play out
I think Josh would have been fine look how many times he got hit hard by Alves and took it to decision
I believe he would have recovered

Post #3   2/22/09 1:08:25PM   

mictlantechutli

MMA Regular

mictlantechutli Avatar

Career:660-408
Chips:
I'm not the biggest Koscheck fan in the world, but he's a top ten fighter, and you have to give those guys the benefit of the doubt. Early stoppage, no doubt. Thiago may have followed up and stopped it right there, but that ref needed to let it play out. Tough loss, Thiago capitalized on that sloppy jab by Koscheck, so props to him.

Post #4   2/22/09 1:19:44PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
koscheck's eyes were rolled into the back of his head, he was out and one more punch from thiago would have put him out cold, no way he could defend himself there, josh dominated until getting tagged, it happens to just about everybody, take the loss and move on, everybody knows kos is the better fighter. i think he looks pretty bad complaining about this.

Post #5   2/22/09 1:19:47PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,516-872
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
Kos hit the floor stiff with his eyes rolled back in his head and no indication of going on the defensive, he was clearly out. If the ref hadnt stopped the fight there he would have took some unnecessary punishment and he wouldnt have recovered so quickly to complain about it.

Post #6   2/22/09 1:34:46PM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
The stoppage may have been a little premature, but had it not been stopped, Kos would have almost for sure been knocked out. He was defenseless for a moment (his eyes were kind of rolling). Thiago could have laid him out right there. I was surprised he didn't jump at him, could cost him a win someday when the ref isn't jumping in.

So although the fight appeared to stop prematurely, I think that Thiago would have won either way. Therefore, you can't really complain too much about the stoppage because it prevented unnecessary damage.

Post #7   2/22/09 1:42:51PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
He was out, eyes rolled back laying prone. You can see when he hit the mat he was in a daze and when the ref gets in the way he regains his faculties. Thiago had enough time to saunter over and then waive himself off before the ref even intervened, he knew that Koscheck was out. Yeah Koscheck is an elite fighter but this is just sour grapes, and it's lousy for Thiago having his debut marred by this fake controversy. Koscheck was getting sloppy in the pocket and eating small counter punches in first few and not adjusting, then he paid the price. This must be a hard pill for him to swallow with all the **** he talked before the fight.

Post #8   2/22/09 1:43:36PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

Posted by ziegler3334

The stoppage may have been a little premature, but had it not been stopped, Kos would have almost for sure been knocked out. He was defenseless for a moment (his eyes were kind of rolling). Thiago could have laid him out right there. I was surprised he didn't jump at him, could cost him a win someday when the ref isn't jumping in.

So although the fight appeared to stop prematurely, I think that Thiago would have won either way. Therefore, you can't really complain too much about the stoppage because it prevented unnecessary damage.

problem is that the only way you know that thiago would have won is let it play out. atleast throw 1 punch on the ground, it wasnt like he was out cold not moving, he had limbs up. maybe 1 punch on ground would have sealed it, fine it would have been a good stoppage. but leaving it without a punch thrown while on the ground is bad. there are so many times a guy gets knocked to ground and not stopped. take a quick trip back and see how the HW div would have turned if this ref was doing HH vs NOG in the ufc. nog would have lost his ufc debut, got no title shot and prolly been cut by ufc and HH would have faced sylvia for interim belt. just have to let the fight play out. nog did the same thing that kos did yet he recovered. bring up nogs history thats true but when was kos ever rocked this bad before?

Post #9   2/22/09 1:47:49PM   

Skatanicus

Learning to Sprawl

Skatanicus Avatar

Career:1,749-878
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
If Kos had dropped Thiago like that, it would have been over, never would have been questioned, and I don't see any reason to complain about this one unless for the fact that you think Koscheck can win fights unconscious. He got cracked by the uppercut, the next punch his head flies off to the side because he's already out. One punch KO, he just recovers quickly and thinks, "I'm fine, I can argue this", then sees in the replay it was clearly a good stoppage but just wants to keep lying to himself. Whatever he lost, and it was a great fight to see for me.

Post #10   2/22/09 2:04:31PM   

Skatanicus

Learning to Sprawl

Skatanicus Avatar

Career:1,749-878
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Every fight where the ref stops it the loser could theoretically still have won, the ref has to step in when it becomes apparent, from what they know about how fights go (especially how they end), that the fight is no longer an intelligent contest, or when one fighter is at risk of serious injury. Koscheck doesn't have the right to be beaten when he's out until he's completely out, that's very dangerous. Herring should have followed up on dropping Nog but he didn't and that is why he lost.

Post #11   2/22/09 2:10:49PM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:

i dont see his eyes rolled into the back of his head but.... idk.

Post #12   2/22/09 2:21:27PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by 4u2nv

i dont see his eyes rolled into the back of his head but.... idk.

This is AFTER the fact...when he went down, it was CLEAR that his eyes were rolled back in his head. Watch the replay, man.

At first I thought it was premature but after watching it a few times, I have to agree with the ref. Good stoppage.

Post #13   2/22/09 2:29:48PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
OF COURSE he's upset. That was possibly the worst call I've ever seen. That ref should never be allowed in an mma ring again. We do not call fights for a knock down. The rule is intelligently defending ones self, he clearly was. It's as clear as day.

Post #14   2/22/09 2:44:19PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
I watched this one in the arena and at the time I thought it was a poor stoppage. Now I have had time to view the replays a few times I can see why the ref did it. He was out but only for a few seconds. I think he could have recovered but he could also have received another shot to the head that put him out properly. You have to leave these decisions to the ref and respect their decision. They after all, are the ones in the cage at the time.

Last edited 2/22/09 2:46PM server time by red-dragon
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   2/22/09 2:45:07PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>