Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon ‘Bones’ Jones: It’s not who you know, it’s how hard you work

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I kind of had the impression they gave Stephan (Bonnar) the fight against me to give him a good comeback fight, fighting a guy who’s inexperienced. I didn’t want to be anyone’s stepping stone so I decided to reach out and grab this opportunity and make Stephan Bonnar my stepping stone … I knew beating Stephan would be gigantic for me. I believe you really don’t need the biggest name coaches to be successful in your career. I’m out here in a little small town in upstate New York, there is no one on my coaching staff you’ve ever heard of, but we know how to work hard and we know how to push ourselves. We proved it. You don’t need the big names to be successful.

Electrifying light heavyweight prospect Jon Jones talks to host Larry Pepe on MMAmania.com’s exclusive presentation of Pro MMA Radio regarding his impressive win over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 94 “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2? on January 31. The national Junior College Champion out of Iowa Central Community College dropped out of school to pursue a career in mixed martial arts and is dispelling the myth that you have to align yourself with one of the big name training camps in order to be successful in MMA. It’s hard to argue with a guy who continues to consistently perform at his level at just 21 years of age.

For the audio replay of Jones’ appearance click

Link HERE

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/19/09 12:42:32PM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
Yeah it wont be too long before he realizes he needs to align with a good camp
to take him to that higher level of competition

Post #2   2/19/09 2:02:59PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I agree, maybe not the coaches so much but the level of talent you train against is very key. You dont get better at putting a triangle on a scrub all the time. The same coach could show you the move against a better guy and it would be much better training.

Post #3   2/19/09 8:43:37PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
Better camp = Future Champ???

Post #4   2/19/09 9:10:30PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:

Posted by higdon10

Better camp = Future Champ???

I think he's still a pretty raw talent in a shark tank of a division. He definitely will need to train at a bigger/better camp to bring his game to the next level. If he moves to one of the more well known camps, he definitely has the athleticism to be a contender one day.

Post #5   2/19/09 9:16:08PM   

Mr_Death

Learning to Sprawl

Mr_Death Avatar

Career:138-82
Chips:
Bonnar is no joke. Jones looked very impressive. I see big things coming from this guy, but he is wrong about the fight camps. He will eventually have to move on to a better camp. Common sense tells you that you can only be as good as the teachers and training partners you have around you.

Post #6   2/19/09 9:36:20PM