Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

With St. Pierre vs. Alves likely, Mike Swick still unsure of next move

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
While UFC welterweight Mike Swick (13-2 MMA, 8-1 UFC) had made it very clear in recent months that he was hoping for a bout with Thiago Alves in the near future, recent events have forced a change of plans.

With "Pitbull" in line for a 170-pound title shot with Georges St. Pierre, Swick is now unsure of what comes next.

As Swick today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), he's still hoping for a bout that will clear his path to title contention.

"I'll fight whoever, but I would really like to have a bout that's going to put me in the top ranking if I have a good performance and I win," Swick said. "I'm 8-1 in the UFC, and I feel like I definitely deserve a big fight.

"I want to get out there. I'm training hard. I want to prove that I belong in the contendership at 170 pounds."

Swick has now won three-straight bouts since dropping to the 170-pound class after a 5-1 run in the UFC's middleweight division. Swick last fought in December 2008 in a 33-second TKO win over Jonathan Goulet. The American Kickboxing Academy fighter now hopes to be back in action in May or June.

"I'm healing up a foot injury that I've had," Swick said. "It should be pretty good to go pretty soon. I figure May or June should be about when I come back."

Unlike his ailing elbow which required surgery in July 2008, Swick said his foot is healing fine with a bit of rest.

"It was just a broken bone in my foot that's just been kind of lingering on," Swick said. "I've been training through it and not letting it heal, and it keeps getting agitated. I'm still training right now, but I'm just trying to heal up as fast as I can so I can get back to fighting."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/18/09 7:02:41AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
Fights i want to see
4 man tourny for #1 contender (If GSP beats Alves, if not that changes things)
-----
Josh Koscheck
Jon Fitch
This would be an awesome fight between to guys on the rebound looking to get back into the picture, both guys are always only 1 or 2 fights away from being contenders. Both guys are have lost to GSP and both want a rematch!

Marcus Davis
Mike Swick
Would also be awesome, to guys that want to go toe 2 toe would be an awesome standup war. Both guys have good ground games would be intresting to see who wins the standup and who would want it on the ground, very similar fighters, both on the rise at 170.

--------
Ben Saunders
Brad Blackburn
Both have done very well recently and in the UFC in general technique v power.

Matt Riddle
Dan Kramer
Undefeated youngsters, who is better?

Martin Kampman
Anthony Johnson

Post #2   2/18/09 8:58:17AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Marcus Davis and Mike Swick already fought and it was boring.

Swick won.

I'd put Swick vs. Fitch.

Post #3   2/18/09 9:17:09AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Chips:
im aware they fought, and they should fight agian it wont be so boring this time and both are just a couple fights away from getting a shot at title.

Post #4   2/18/09 9:19:17AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
They shouldnt rematch because the fight was not too long ago.

Swick vs Fitch will not happen neither will Swick vs Koscheck because they train together and are friends

I've Got two Opponents that would be a good fight for Swick........Anthony Johnson or Dustin Hazelett.

Post #5   2/18/09 9:38:37AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

They shouldnt rematch because the fight was not too long ago.

Swick vs Fitch will not happen neither will Swick vs Koscheck because they train together and are friends

I've Got two Opponents that would be a good fight for Swick........Anthony Johnson or Dustin Hazelett.

Nicely put. The best match up for swick is either Johnson, Hazelett, or even Condit. Saunders looked impressive in his last win, but I'd like to see 1 or 2 more before he steps it up .

If swick gets by Johnson or Hazelett then we can talk about him competing with the likes of Alves, Fitch, Kos (i know same camp). How about a guy who has fallen off the map in Matt Hughes and with the addition of Condit things could get interesting if Swick can beat Johnson or Hazelett

Post #6   2/18/09 9:50:00AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Swick Koscheck and Fitch are all boys and will not fight each other. Thats 2 of the top contenders in that weight class that he will never fight. I think they should give Swick someone like Anthony Johnson or Dustin Hazelett both are on the rise in that divison. I believe Swick vs either one of those 2 guys would make for a great fight.

Last edited 2/18/09 10:40AM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   2/18/09 10:39:56AM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,879-1,007
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Swick, Fitch, and Kos are all AKA they most likely wouldn't fight each other. That being said it's pointless anyhow. If GSP beats Alves he should move out of the WW division. The fighters in the division after Alves pose no feasible threat. Anthony Johnson is the closest guy who can compete with GSP athletically and he's a year or two away from being appropriated to MMA the way he needs to be to even think about challenging Georges. If GSP beats Alves he should move up to fight MW permanently or fight Anderson at a proposed catch weight, and continue to rack up wins in the WW division. After Alves, the only guy I could see giving GSP a fight is Fitch, and look at what happened in their first fight.

Post #8   2/18/09 10:58:26AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Chips:
they would fight each other for a chance at the title i took all that into account. Friends fight each other all the time, some camps dont allow it though.

Post #9   2/18/09 3:50:14PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
I really want to see Swick and Rumble throw down. Even though a Swick/Ben Saunders fight would be sensible and exciting as well.

Post #10   2/18/09 10:13:23PM