Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jake Shields Vs Joe Riggs At Next Strikeforce Event On April 11

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Former EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields has reached an agreement to fight for Strikeforce, signing on to the San Jose-based promotion’s April 11 Showtime debut to face veteran Joe Riggs.

Aroundtheoctagon.com was the first to report the news. MMAWeekly.com subsequently confirmed it with Shields’ manager and father Jack Shields.

LINK

Last edited 2/18/09 1:06AM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/18/09 12:54:14AM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Let's get a petition going to get Jake Shields some credible opposition (aka a UFC contract). I bet he was really excited for about 90 days when his contract was back up in the air, thinking he too could fight a top 10 welter weight. Now he's fighting Joe Riggs, nothing against Joe, but he's not credible opposition. When do you decide to make a career move to being on the big stage.

Post #2   2/18/09 1:06:46AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Go strikeforce, make it right and balance the power.

Post #3   2/18/09 1:10:49AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by kasual

Let's get a petition going to get Jake Shields some credible opposition (aka a UFC contract). I bet he was really excited for about 90 days when his contract was back up in the air, thinking he too could fight a top 10 welter weight. Now he's fighting Joe Riggs, nothing against Joe, but he's not credible opposition. When do you decide to make a career move to being on the big stage.

I think Shields is making the right decision by signing back up with Strikeforce. He is still young and Strikeforce can give him massive exposure with their TV deal, building his name up as the best WW outside of the UFC.

Eventually the big money offer will come and that is when Shields will/should make his move imo.

Post #4   2/18/09 1:10:52AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
It's a great move because there's a lot of exchange between Strikeforce and Japanese fighters. Lots of potential matchups like Kazuo Misaki--maybe he could be Cung Le's next challenge since Shamrock doesn't want a piece--maybe they would even allow Jake to enter into the WW Grand Prix in April and potentially face off against a guy he called out--Shinya Aoki!

Last edited 2/18/09 1:23AM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/18/09 1:23:14AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

It's a great move because there's a lot of exchange between Strikeforce and Japanese fighters. Lots of potential matchups like Kazuo Misaki--maybe he could be Cung Le's next challenge since Shamrock doesn't want a piece--maybe they would even allow Jake to enter into the WW Grand Prix in April and potentially face off against a guy he called out--Shinya Aoki!

You should apply for a job as the mediator in Strikeforce/Dream negotiations.

Post #6   2/18/09 1:53:49AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
This should be a better fight than people give it credit.

Riggs is so young with tons of exp. But I will prolly still take shields for the win.

Post #7   2/18/09 9:42:45AM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Jake had a lot of problems with Paul Daley the few times he couldn't get him to the mat.Joe would have to sprawl every take down and keep it on the feet.If he could do that,he could most likely win-Shields looks absolutley helpless on the feet against Daley,which is sad considering he is a legit Top Ten WW.

I'm still picking Shields by first round sub.The cut to 170 is just too much for Joe,and after a couple minutes he will get tired and will either let Shields take him down or will take Shields down himself,and get subbed.

WB.

Post #8   2/18/09 10:37:27AM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

definitly a great move.....great exposure given the tv deal....plus i think people tend to forget that theres life outside of the ufc...granted not so much in the ww division, but moves up to middleweight are defintily possible, were alot of cross promotion could go on as well as internal....plus, shields is a pretty big ww so i doubt he would have trouble with size against most middleweights anyways..... even tho i believe he is overated, i do think that people arent given him enough credit for what he accomplished int he elite xc....granted he wasnt fighting top 10 guys, but nick thompson is very legit fighter as well as paul daley....he man handled thompson, and tho he struggled a little bit, he still got the submission win against a guy whos very experienced and beat a lot of good guys.....if your not a ufc ww this is the type of opposition you want to be facing to stay sharp for the big matches......he really really really needs to work on the stand up tho...its basically pathetic...and joe riggs, say what ya want, but he is a very legit fighter, like the rest, he is experienced and has beat good fighters in multiple weightclasses.....weight cut aside, riggs poses a lot of problems for shields....riggs has excellent boxing with excellent power, and good wrestling, and in my mind a guy that can keep it on the feet and strike is shields kryptonite...look at the daley fight, perfect example and daleys take down d isnt the greatest....in the end tho, i still think he comes away with a win, but not as easy as a lot of people seem to be jumping too.

Post #9   2/18/09 12:35:15PM