Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

“Big” John McCarthy Hints at History of Greasing Problems

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The Los Angeles Times takes a look at various cheating methods in combat sports today, from the illegal substance in Antonio Margarito’s glove to the Vaseline on Georges St. Pierre’s body. The message here is that cheating, or “gamesmanship,” as Bert Sugar charitably tags it, is nothing new.

But of interest to MMA fans are remarks from former UFC referee “Big” John McCarthy, which suggest that greasing problems have persisted for some time now, and that it’s no big secret, either:
"Guys will push the envelope in every way possible," former UFC referee "Big" John McCarthy said of mixed martial arts fighters. "Vaseline has always been an issue in MMA. It's a real problem."
McCarthy has seen MMA fighters come into the octagon after taking a bath filled with soapy water or even baby oil. "You can't notice it when they're dry, but when they get on the ground and start to sweat, it starts to come out of their pores," McCarthy said.
McCarthy also blamed the persistence of this problem on athletic commission regulators, who are accustomed to working boxing matches and don’t realize the advantage a little extra grease on the body can provide in an MMA fight.

The issue raised by the greasebath version of events – and this isn’t the first time we’ve heard that accusation – is tricky to deal with.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/17/09 2:26:02PM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
Crazy. I would have never thought about the baby oil bath.

Post #2   2/17/09 2:45:30PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Good read. There are many athletes in many different sports that push the envelope. Some baseball players use elbow, shin and wrist protectors as shields aka Barry Bonds. We don't have to look into what else he did. I remember Barry Sanders getting accused of using pam spray on his jersey to make it slippery. Some boxers hike up there trunks to almost their armpits to minimize the targets on their body.

There is a fine line between having the most advantage possible without cheating. Its been around since day one and I don't see that ever changing

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   2/17/09 2:49:14PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Lethal

Can't remember who it was,but someone mentioned that on these forums after the whole GSP contraversy.
They claimed when your sweat beads up,that that is a sign of a baby oil bath.

I can't remember who said that though.

Post #4   2/17/09 3:11:27PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Lethal

Can't remember who it was,but someone mentioned that on these forums after the whole GSP contraversy.
They claimed when your sweat beads up,that that is a sign of a baby oil bath.

I can't remember who said that though.

Akiyama did that before his match with Sakuraba.

Post #5   2/17/09 3:21:57PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,126-876
Chips:
Thats what i been talking about, just a small amount of a substance of this sort can reak havok and ruin a person's ground game, and ability to control a fighter when on their back. Sweat + Vas/Oil etc makes it extremely hard to do much.

Post #6   2/17/09 4:00:48PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by kopower

There are many athletes in many different sports that push the envelope. Some baseball players use elbow, shin and wrist protectors as shields aka Barry Bonds.

I remember seeing something on Bonds elbow "protector." I believe it was on ESPN. They had a guy on there who believed the "protector" had more to do with his homeruns than suspected steriod use. It wasn't in the manner your thinking either, being able to crouch the plate. He showed the evolution of the device. Basically, it eventually contained a hinge and groove that he believed allowed Bonds to replicate the perfect plane of motion everytime.

Post #7   2/17/09 4:20:48PM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:
Well someday they'll find out all the cheaters in MMA and have a astrics next to their name as well.

Post #8   2/17/09 5:08:13PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Look at Diego Sanchez during his fights with Brian Gassaway and Nick Diaz.I can't believe the commision even let him in the cage for those fights-you could tell he was greased during the walk in.

WB.

Post #9   2/17/09 5:39:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
And yet some people argued when some of us tried to explain how big of a deal this kind of thing is. Boggles my mind

Post #10   2/17/09 6:50:12PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

And yet some people argued when some of us tried to explain how big of a deal this kind of thing is. Boggles my mind

Post #11   2/17/09 6:51:07PM   

bobbydoomocculta

Banned

bobbydoomocculta Avatar

Career:201-119
Chips:

but neither do we want to see the sport become a bunch of greased up guys sliding all over the cage.

So funny... So true...

Post #12   2/17/09 7:49:39PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Oh come on, if the UFC wants to move into the Turkish market, then they have to not only approve but insist on oil. Get use to seeing this

Post #13   2/17/09 8:31:56PM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
I was watching UFC 54 last night and I herd like 3 fighters say " he was gerased" so apparently it has been an issue

Post #14   2/17/09 10:06:19PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
Back when I use to wrestle certain wrestlers would rub shaving cream into there skin and which made them slippery and there was really no way to detect it.
I think mma should bite this in the but right away and wipe all fighters down with an alcohol swab before they enter the ring(this is of course assuming that this would negate things like baby oil baths ect.). Some might consider this going to far but what else are you suppose to do?

Post #15   2/17/09 11:21:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2