Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Thales Leites ready for wherever Anderson Silva takes him at UFC 97

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“I can fight him standing. I will not be afraid to fight him in the standup game. I will never be afraid. I’ve been training my Muay Thai and boxing for five years and I think that I’m ready for any situation. I will be ready for anything. I know he wants to fight me standing to try and knock me out. But anything can happen. Cote was doing a good job with him closing the distance and keeping him down every time and moving forward in front of him. I’m thinking I have to do the same thing…. The most important thing is I trust in me and believe in me. He has two arms and two legs like me and like everyone else. If I believe in me and trust me and do my job I can do it. That’s it.”

– Top middleweight contender Thales Leites talks to Sherdog.com about how his skills match up against division champion Anderson Silva. The two Brazilians are scheduled to collide at UFC 97: “Redemption” at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on April 18. Leites — a talented Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt — feels that he can stand with the deadly striker if necessary, but feels his ground game is the one area where he is better than “The Spider.” Perhaps he can snag one of those four limbs and ride off into the sunset as the new (and unlikely) 185-pound champion? Easier said than done, but stranger things have happened inside the Octagon … like if he were able to somehow finish Silva via strikes.

Link

Full interview HERE

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/17/09 9:35:38AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Thales is a nice guy. I want to see him have a good showing, but I think we all know on the feet Anderson Silva will own him.

It would be insane to see him score a takedown and submit Anderson Silva, though. I really believe he could do it on the ground with relative ease. As in, give him 3 or 4 minutes on the ground and I think he can have the Spider tapping

Post #2   2/17/09 9:37:55AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Yeah I wouldnt go and look at the last fight with Silva vs Cote. I dont think you can really take anything from that fight.

Thales doesnt need to stand up, he needs to stand up to get it into the clinch to get the takedown or pull guard. I think Thales has a better chance than people give him, but it will all depend on his game plan and it he excutes it.

Really hope he doesnt think about trying to trade bombs with Silva.

Post #3   2/17/09 10:43:23AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Wow is he allowed to bring a pillow into the cage cause thats the only thing that would help him while he sleeps.

Post #4   2/17/09 11:42:54AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
He should be worried about where the EMTs are going to take him and his stretcher.

Post #5   2/17/09 11:51:42AM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
If he thinks he can stand with Silva he is in for a short and painfull night......Look what Silva did to Marquart standing and look what Marquart did to Leites standing......His only chance is to take the fight to the ground as quickly as possible.....

Post #6   2/17/09 11:57:52AM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
I see no chance for Thales on the feet.

Post #7   2/17/09 1:18:20PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think he means his cornermen are going to keep a nightlight handy for when Anderson puts him to sleep.

Post #8   2/17/09 1:27:51PM