Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Wilson Gouveia: "I Don't Need Ten Punches to Put Someone Away. I Just Need One."

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
CagePotato.com: Thanks for talking with me, Wilson. How is your preparation coming for the fight with Nate Marquardt?

The training has been very intense. I’m taking this fight very seriously. I think it’s going to be the most important fight of my career so far. Right now I feel very good. I’m in great condition, no injuries, just ready to go.

Are you doing anything specifically to prepare for him?

Not really, to tell the truth. In all my fights I try to be prepared for everything. With Nate it’s no different. He’s a pretty well-rounded fighter. He’s good at everything. I have to try and be prepared for the worst-case scenario. He’s a good wrestler. He’s got better takedowns than me. I’ve been training a lot of jiu-jitsu off my back, a lot of stand-up.

I think he’s good in everything, but I don’t think he’s great in anything. I think his jiu-jitsu is good, but it’s not amazing. His wrestling, I think, is his greatest strength. But even with that, I don’t think he’s the best wrestler in the UFC. His striking is good, but if you watch his last fight with [Martin] Kampmann, he spent like ten or more punches to put him away. I really don’t need ten punches to put someone away. I just need one.

You were on a good roll in the UFC until your loss to Goran Reljic. What do you think went wrong for you in that fight?

What happened in that fight, that not many people know because it happened behind the scenes, was an argument between my coaches and his agent. I made a huge mistake after that and treated that fight like a personal problem. And I have no problem whatsoever with any fighter. But I tried to punish the guy and put him away. When I was on the top throwing punches I gave everything that I had. So when we both stood up again I was tired. I tried to rest for a second and that’s when he threw a hook or something that caught me. When you use those small gloves, anything can hurt you.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/16/09 6:44:13PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
we will see how many punches it takes saturday... For Marquardt to finish it.

I think nate takes this fight most of the time but wilson is definitely a live underdog

Post #2   2/16/09 6:54:13PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,975-1,623
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I say Wilson wins this one by KO in the first round and shocks everyone!!

Post #3   2/16/09 7:22:32PM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
Wilson is a tough opponent for anybody. But i don't think he'll be able to hang with marquardt.

Actually, i think marquardt has the best chance of anyone in the devision of beating the anderson silva

Post #4   2/16/09 7:23:23PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
Hmm

But I tried to punish the guy and put him away. When I was on the top throwing punches I gave everything that I had. So when we both stood up again I was tired.

I thought Gouveia only needed one punch.

Post #5   2/16/09 7:48:27PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
wilson can win this fight what he says is true he does only need one to put nate the great away but i do think nate will have a great game plan to stay away from the bombs, i don't think nate will submit wilson this will go to a decision eithe way

Post #6   2/16/09 10:26:02PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
What ever happen to Goran Reljic? Last I heard after beating Wilson @LHW he was dropping to MW too, but maybe he got injuried or something.

Would like to see Goran back soon.

Go Marquardt!

Post #7   2/16/09 11:55:23PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
this won't help him when Nate is dropping those ten punches on Wilson's head. lol.

Post #8   2/17/09 7:40:10AM