Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Arona's Chin

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Has Arona ever been KO'ed via punch on his feet? Does anyone know? I was watching him vs Wandy and that dude leads with his chin so bad. IMO a good striker (Chuck, CC, Anderson) would use that thing as a target. Anyone else notice this or are me and my friends crazy?

Post #1   3/24/07 12:34:06AM   

kublakhan

Learning to Sprawl

kublakhan Avatar

Career:19-20
Chips:
No, he's never been knocked out via punch while standing up. His standup game and striking looks awkward, and he's predictable in the sense you KNOW he wants to take you down. He's so strong though he's able to do it no matter what you do. I think he'll beat Soko, but I think it'll be interesting and wild for the first few minutes.

Post #2   3/24/07 12:50:55AM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Career:11-12
Chips:
Arona doesn't really trade. He does hard leg kicks and shoots for the takedown. That's a different situation from what Nog was trying to do before he got KOed.

Post #3   3/24/07 12:57:02AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Chips:

Posted by migo

Arona doesn't really trade. He does hard leg kicks and shoots for the takedown. That's a different situation from what Nog was trying to do before he got KOed.

You think Arona could take out Liddell? I think if anyone could KO him Chuck could.

Post #4   3/24/07 1:20:41AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I know he wasn't on his feet when it happened, but I've seen him Koed by Rampage and Shogun. Rampage was a power bomb while caught in a triangle. Shogun was on top of him and repeatedly hammer fisted him. I agree that his style is too open, and I think he could learn a lot by watching his shorter clone( Filho)

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   3/24/07 2:33:36AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I know he wasn't on his feet when it happened, but I've seen him Koed by Rampage and Shogun. Rampage was a power bomb while caught in a triangle. Shogun was on top of him and repeatedly hammer fisted him. I agree that his style is too open, and I think he could learn a lot by watching his shorter clone( Filho)

he got KO'd rather easily by Shogun,so i dont think he has that good of a chin....i dont think anyone else would of gotten KO'd that easily by a hammerfist in that position

Post #6   3/24/07 2:41:55AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
He was also coming off an extremely hard fight in that tournament and had his head on the mat. Fatigue has a huge place in getting KO'ed, as does dehydration.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #7   3/24/07 3:13:29AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

He was also coming off an extremely hard fight in that tournament and had his head on the mat. Fatigue has a huge place in getting KO'ed, as does dehydration.

He fought Wandy to a close decision on that one right? Shogun fought rampage?

I think the bout may turn out different if they fought again

Post #8   3/24/07 12:02:21PM   

ElGuapo31

Learning to Sprawl

ElGuapo31 Avatar

Career:97-60
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
he didnt get KOd by shogun via hammer fist he got KOd via a heel to the face

Post #9   3/24/07 12:24:14PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:

Posted by ElGuapo31

Actually Rua missed the stomp, and did end the fight with the hammer fist. Arona later said the KO was due to when the two hit the ground while both were going for the take down. You can see it if you re watch the fight. His head bounced off the mat pretty hard.

Ricardo has fought some very good strikers in Fedor, Wandy twice, Henderson, and Rampage, but none of them has taken advantage of his chin being way up in the air. The style that drives Arona nuts is what we saw Shogun do to him, and Fedor. They both pushed the pace, and shot in for take downs.

PS Shogun defeated Overeem before he went up against Arona, not Rampage.

Post #10   3/24/07 1:15:58PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Chips:
thats who it was

Post #11   3/24/07 3:25:45PM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by migo

You think Arona could take out Liddell? I think if anyone could KO him Chuck could.

Maybe. Took Liddell 4 rounds to take out Horn - Arona has much better takedowns than Horn and he's also got a killer kick.

Post #12   3/24/07 5:44:06PM   

migo

MMA Regular

migo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by ElGuapo31

Actually Rua missed the stomp, and did end the fight with the hammer fist. Arona later said the KO was due to when the two hit the ground while both were going for the take down. You can see it if you re watch the fight. His head bounced off the mat pretty hard.

Ricardo has fought some very good strikers in Fedor, Wandy twice, Henderson, and Rampage, but none of them has taken advantage of his chin being way up in the air. The style that drives Arona nuts is what we saw Shogun do to him, and Fedor. They both pushed the pace, and shot in for take downs.

PS Shogun defeated Overeem before he went up against Arona, not Rampage.

Fedor was the one getting taken down in the fight. Arona had mount most of the time but couldn't do anything with it because of Rings rules.

Post #13   3/24/07 5:45:39PM   

ManBeast

MMA Regular

ManBeast Avatar

Career:384-226
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by kublakhan

No, he's never been knocked out via punch while standing up. His standup game and striking looks awkward, and he's predictable in the sense you KNOW he wants to take you down. He's so strong though he's able to do it no matter what you do. I think he'll beat Soko, but I think it'll be interesting and wild for the first few minutes.

yeah I've noticed that about him too, he's really big for a lhw and pretty damn strong, I just wish the guy would learn some better striking, and some GnP with his takedown abilities would be great.

Post #14   3/25/07 9:25:06AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by migo

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by migo

Maybe. Took Liddell 4 rounds to take out Horn - Arona has much better takedowns than Horn and he's also got a killer kick.

Arona does have sick TD's, but Horn was trying to stand with Chuck during that fight (don't know why)...

I'm pretty sure that was the first (T)KO of Horn's career... Not bad in like a hundred fights plus or minus

Post #15   3/25/07 12:57:18PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2