Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Atencio: ''Affliction Will Be Back In 3-4 Months''

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Affliction is still committed to mixed martial arts and will stage its next live event in around three or four months, says company vice-president Tom Atencio.

Speaking exclusively to Fighters Only this week, he said that rumours of Affliction’s demise are greatly exaggerated and the company’s desire to stage fight shows is undiminished.

“Whats happening right now is I’m sitting down with my partners and we’re going to work out [our next show],” he said. “We’re looking at three or four months, but right now we don’t have a date set.”

LINK

Post #1   2/13/09 1:47:18AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
They really do put on some great cards and I hope they stick around. They have a lot to learn about presentation and production but the difference from their first show to their second shows that they're learning pretty quickly.

Post #2   2/13/09 2:34:10AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-935
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Good.

I hope they try selling a card with a different headliner than Emelianenko. He's great to see, but they need to start working on new ways to market their product than "see Fedor beat somebody else."

Post #3   2/13/09 2:40:49AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Good.

I hope they try selling a card with a different headliner than Emelianenko. He's great to see, but they need to start working on new ways to market their product than "see Fedor beat somebody else."

You couldn't be more right, and I totally agree with you. However, I doubt they will be able to do this.

First off, There's a reason they only put on a show every few months: They simply don't have the stable of fighters to do more shows. The second show was filled with the same fighters recycled from the first show, and I see the third show being the exact same way. After a while I expect it to get old and also expect to see fans lose interest in the promotion.

Plus, We all know what the Main event will be: Fedor/Josh Barnett. Although I'm not really interested in this one since I don't think beat Barnett will prove anything for Fedor, you can justify putting it together because it does make sense. However, After this fight, where will they go from here? Fedor really IS the only main event caliber fighter they have. THe tried to make Arlovski/Barnett the main event of the October show, and had to cancel it due to poor ticket sales. They are riding Fedor and hoping he can help them take off, but he simply is running out of people to fight.

Finally, Let's not forget Affliction's Finacial Problems. Yeah, Atencio Denies it, but it's obvious they are doing this the wrong way, and by the time trumph, Golden boy and M-1 all get their cuts of the event money, Affliction can't even come close to breaking even after they pay their fighters. Atencio denies it, but his attitude at the post fight cenference said it all.

Two good shows, hope the third one is good, but I'll be shocked if they make it through 2009.

Post #4   2/13/09 2:58:38AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Good.

unfortunately, that's every fight that fedor fights. And he's always going to be a headliner if he doesn't lose

Post #5   2/13/09 3:03:50AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Why woulden't you ride Fedor? It's not like with Kimbo where your putting all your eggs in the basket of a guy who can't fight, he's the guy who can fight the best and make it look easy as hell. Awsome hope Affliction puts on a few more shows, I really enjoy watching.

Post #6   2/13/09 4:06:12AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-935
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Why woulden't you ride Fedor? It's not like with Kimbo where your putting all your eggs in the basket of a guy who can't fight, he's the guy who can fight the best and make it look easy as hell. Awsome hope Affliction puts on a few more shows, I really enjoy watching.

1) Eventually Emelianenko will lose or retire, and it might be good to transition seamlessly into a post-Fedor phase.

2) It's probably not wise to hold two or three events a year, sidelining a roster of fighters and a host of MMA fans waiting around for Emelianenko to be ready for his next fight when Affliction possesses quite a bit of talent besides him.

3) Groom some fighters. Only 4 of the 12 fighters on the pay-per-view for the last Affliction event were under 30 (Arlovski has since turned 30), and the two put in fights with fighters over 30 (Sokoudjou and Sidelnikov) both lost. These recognizable names are quickly getting older, so it might be wise to plan for the future. Young guys may also bring down the price of payroll, which could only benefit Affliction right now.

Post #7   2/13/09 5:21:57AM   

Tein_Lung

Banned

Career:92-57
Chips:
if they do manage a 3rd show they have to get someone that not got a 35 pound watermelon for a head calling the fights...

they need to get Bas to do it or atleast someone smarter then Tito cause he is worse then listening to Goldie without Rogan..

WTB Bas Rutten calling UFC fights with Rogan.... but then again it could end up being too funny and missing fights cause of laughing..

Post #8   2/13/09 5:34:36AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
get ready for the counter attack.

Post #9   2/13/09 10:09:02AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

he did acknowledge that it was “a mistake” to offer such high paypackets to fighters on the initial show

Well duh, but if you didn't offer so much money they wouldn't have fought for you. I think thats what we call a catch 22.

Post #10   2/13/09 11:07:54AM   

grimreaper

MMA Regular

grimreaper Avatar

Career:694-366
Chips:
I'll believe it when I'm watching it live my only question is if Fedor beats Barnett what do they do after that

Post #11   2/13/09 11:42:50AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by grimreaper

I'll believe it when I'm watching it live my only question is if Fedor beats Barnett what do they do after that

I would like to see him fight Overeem.

Post #12   2/13/09 2:11:17PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
They need to figure out a way to do a free fight. Maybe on HBO or something. They have all the pieces except one. Capital. IF they had money to help with he production costs they could pay the fighters from the gate. With their roster and the massive cuts the ufc is making they could really come away with something.....I'm betting on strikeforce though.

Post #13   2/14/09 12:19:01PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

In Fedor they have something that the UFC doesn't, the top HW. So all Affliction need to do is keep picking up good HW free agents for Fedor to fight and he can headline every Affliction event that ever occurs (which he probably will)

Last edited 2/15/09 3:17AM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   2/15/09 3:14:42AM