Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GET rid of Guilloteen choke!!

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,350-843
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
Easy way to get out of a fight. GET RID OF THE GAY ASS CHOKE. I could choke someone out with that with no traning. However a gogoplata, an armbar now those take a lot of skill.

Post #1   3/23/07 4:37:49PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,686-1,525
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
you went from saying how strong lesnars would be in the other orgs thread to this??? i dont get it, its a huge part of bjj training for mma i see no reason at all to get rid of it

Post #2   3/23/07 4:41:01PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
..............dude it's a huge part of fighting it's BJJ and if they did take it away it would favor wrestlers even more.

Post #3   3/23/07 4:52:27PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
You can't just get rid of a choke because its easy. The rear naked choke is also easy, should that be banned too?

Post #4   3/23/07 5:11:47PM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Career:34-26
Chips:

Posted by hathcock32

Easy way to get out of a fight. GET RID OF THE GAY ASS CHOKE. I could choke someone out with that with no traning. However a gogoplata, an armbar now those take a lot of skill.

I can see where you're coming from. A guy I roll with has a gnack for guillotines, he always catches me with the bastards. Actually, that's all he does, guillotines. Whatever works for you I guess. I keep my chin tucked, he still sinks it. I hop up and hook his thighs, he still manages the leveridge. I roll back, straighten up, and squeeze the mofo as hard as I can, he still keeps it. I frikkn hate that submission. He is 6'2" and a semi-solid 290lbs though.

But, its legal, and deady effective. Though I agree its use can get quite cheap with some people, I don't think it should be banned.

I still have issues with Allistair's guillotine over Vovchanchyn. The use of the guillotine in that particular fight was, imho, very cheap.

Maybe, a three limit? Like KOs in boxing? No, thats retarded. It would have to be like that for every submission then. And MMA isn't about denying anyone's skill set. You use and win with what you have.

I've pondered about a standing eight for flash KOs in MMA, but that subject gets really sticky really quick, very circumstantial. I've come to the conclusion they (PrideFC mostly) just need better referees . . .

Post #5   3/23/07 5:53:32PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,055-1,156
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by hathcock32

I strongly disagree. People have different strengths, if you are Alistair/Renzo , the guillotine is one of your strengths. This is the equivalent of someone calling me a cheater for tackling them in a steet fight just because they are a boxer, and I am a better wrestler. You use your strengths, and fight away from your opponents. Other wise Florian would have had to stay standing with Cope , and he probably would have gotten his head taken off.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   3/23/07 6:02:29PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
Chucks right hand is also a easy way to win a fight....they should get rid of that too?

Last edited 3/23/07 8:54PM server time by Trapt1nw0nder
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   3/23/07 8:53:25PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I can see where you are coming from there, but it will never go away. As easy as it is to slap on it's also easy to defend. You are talking submission basics there. I saw the IFL the other night and they played a bunch of fights for Bas's team. One event they won almost every bout in the first minute by guillotine. I think it was Tokyo they beat. It can suck to lose to a guillotine right away and when it's over you aren't even tired, but it's part of the game.

Post #8   3/23/07 10:27:52PM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Chips:
Yea i agree it is someone guys strategy's. I just dont like its place in fights at times. I know when me and my buddy roll...and hes a little shorter than me,,,granted he doesent know how to defend it but hes a lot stronger than me and i can submit hit every time with it. I was just watching the Lytle/hughes fight where lytle went for the guilloteen like 50 times. I love the sport so much, i gotta find little details to find a negative.

Post #9   3/23/07 11:25:38PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Its a simple move with simple defenses and simple escapes.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #10   3/24/07 3:11:20AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by hcazlekker

Posted by hathcock32

I can see where you're coming from. A guy I roll with has a gnack for guillotines, he always catches me with the bastards. Actually, that's all he does, guillotines. Whatever works for you I guess. I keep my chin tucked, he still sinks it. I hop up and hook his thighs, he still manages the leveridge. I roll back, straighten up, and squeeze the mofo as hard as I can, he still keeps it. I frikkn hate that submission. He is 6'2" and a semi-solid 290lbs though.

But, its legal, and deady effective. Though I agree its use can get quite cheap with some people, I don't think it should be banned.

I still have issues with Allistair's guillotine over Vovchanchyn. The use of the guillotine in that particular fight was, imho, very cheap.

Maybe, a three limit? Like KOs in boxing? No, thats retarded. It would have to be like that for every submission then. And MMA isn't about denying anyone's skill set. You use and win with what you have.

I've pondered about a standing eight for flash KOs in MMA, but that subject gets really sticky really quick, very circumstantial. I've come to the conclusion they (PrideFC mostly) just need better referees . . .

Man I know EXACTLY what you mean. Everytime I shoot in for the takedown on this one guy, Im fighting off a guillotine. Problem with that is when I shoot in for the takedown, I stop as soon as I get him down, instead of pushing through him for better position. I find wrestlers are great at doing this

Post #11   3/24/07 11:47:20AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by hathcock32

Its also one of the easier moves to get out of if you know how. Some guys can get it on you and crank it. But a lot of guys just do it without much pratice and their opponenets just get out of it.

Other than that. Why get rid of a sub? Are you saying it takes more skill to do a bulldog choke, or Anaconda choke? Do you know what either of those are?

Or are you just starting anohter thread b/c you had a thought. God you make 20 threads a day.

Oh and by the way. Its called a Guillotine not a GUILLOTEEN. If you are gonna flame on something at least get its name right.

Last edited 3/24/07 11:57AM server time by madmarck
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   3/24/07 11:55:37AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
this is one of the most dumbest threads I've seen. Get rid of a sub because it's too easy? That makes no sense! That is like saying, "lets get rid of the double leg takedown, because it's the easiest takedown to do." Makes no sense. You get thumbs down for this thread

If fighters get caught in it, then they need to learn not to get lazy in the ring and they need to learn the basics in Ju Jitsu. A move like the gulliotine keeps should keep fighters on their toes.

Post #13   3/24/07 12:38:41PM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Chips:
Hey MARK get your serious ass out of the padded room.

Post #14   3/24/07 7:43:38PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by hathcock32

Hey MARK get your serious ass out of the padded room.

Get your stupid Tito pic off this site.
Owned. Sick rick is now off the hook.

Post #15   3/24/07 7:52:03PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2