Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Karo Parisyan tests positive for painkillers after UFC 94

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
linkage

Former number one welterweight contender, Karo Parisyan, has tested positive for several painkillers, including Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone, following his controversial split decision win over Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2” at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Jan. 31.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today passed along the results to MMAmania.com.

“The Heat” has recently battled a nervous disorder, as well as injuries, which forced him out of a match against Yoshiyuki Yoshida less than 24 hours before showtime back in September 2008.

More on this breaking news in a bit. The other fighters tested on the card all passed their respective screenings for illegal/banned substances.

Post #1   2/10/09 3:18:56PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Post #2   2/10/09 3:44:53PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
Another set back for him I want miss him if he gets the boot. He would be a great fighter to watch if he would learn how to finish.

Post #3   2/10/09 3:45:25PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Another set back for him I want miss him if he gets the boot. He would be a great fighter to watch if he would learn how to finish.

I'm very disappointed...

I guess I'm the only one who enjoys watching him fight, despite his lack of finishes.

I'm very nervous about whether he'll get cut or not. God I hope not.

Post #4   2/10/09 3:47:54PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
it was obvious that the guy was not himself... i'd be interested in know what exactly's wrong with him.. panic attacks, anxiety, and now tons of pain killers? its not like he was over training lol

Anybody recall the contract he just signed with the ufc? like a 10 fight contract or something ridiculous like that? now if i remember correctly what he's tested positive for will probably get him suspended for a year?

so....

suspended for a year
poor training camps
never in shape
a shadow of what he used to be
not keeping up with a sport which is constantly evolving
only finished 1 fight since 2003
barely got past an entry level opponent

if you're gonna cut someone like fioravanti and clementi i dont know how this guy stays

Post #5   2/10/09 3:49:52PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
Let him fight Fitch next.
Instead of the dodging he has done previously .
Not bashing he has really turned down Fitch.

Post #6   2/10/09 4:07:15PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Gotta be related to his depression, panic attacks, etc. Either way, safe to say we won't see him again for at least 6 months.

Post #7   2/10/09 4:13:53PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I guess I don't even see why some of the chemicals on Athletic commission lists are on there... There's things like "no ibuprofen" and stuff like this... I don't see how taking pain meds could enhance your ability to fight anyways, if anything they would make him more lathargic and unless he was on a bunch of pills during the fight itself (highly unlikely) they would almost have an adverse effect regarding pain tollerance... The drugs aren't illegal, so I don't really see the problem... Seems like Karo's got a lot of stuff going on outside the cage, I hope he can figure it all out and straighten himself out

Post #8   2/10/09 4:16:43PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by StorminYourman

Let him fight Fitch next.
Instead of the dodging he has done previously .
Not bashing he has really turned down Fitch.

agreed. it would be nice to see the UFC punish Karo with Fitch.

Post #9   2/10/09 4:29:16PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I don't see how taking pain meds could enhance your ability to fight anyways, if anything they would make him more lathargic

AC's don't care if it's a drug that can improve performance or worsen performance. If it worsens performance then it is a greater chance of a major injury; if it enhances performances it is an unfair advantage.

I disagree that someone with panic attacks can't take some xanax or valium before the fight though. I'd hate to see a medical condition knock a figher out of the sport simply because they're not allowed to take their doctor recommended medication.

Post #10   2/10/09 4:49:23PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I guess I don't even see why some of the chemicals on Athletic commission lists are on there... There's things like "no ibuprofen" and stuff like this... I don't see how taking pain meds could enhance your ability to fight anyways, if anything they would make him more lathargic and unless he was on a bunch of pills during the fight itself (highly unlikely) they would almost have an adverse effect regarding pain tollerance... The drugs aren't illegal, so I don't really see the problem... Seems like Karo's got a lot of stuff going on outside the cage, I hope he can figure it all out and straighten himself out

It's possible the drugs could dull or block out the pain during fights, but also it's something that he could've been off for a couple weeks, or even a month or so, but traces of the drug may still have been in his system, which is not that uncommon in cases like this.

Post #11   2/10/09 4:58:52PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,957-1,617
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I find Karo to be a let day these days!!!

Post #12   2/10/09 5:00:33PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I agree marijuana should be on the banned substance list but when Nick Diaz fought Gomi it cited that marijuana could dull his sense of pain allowing him to sustain more punishment or could lead to serious injury if he was too high to tap.

If that was the case then Karo should not be allowed to fight on true medicinal painkillers. i hope Karo can turn things around as much as he bugs me he is a great fighter and always has at least one spectacular judo throw a fight.

Post #13   2/10/09 5:18:04PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well if they over turned the Diaz vs Gomi to a no contest this should be. Being on that many pain pills I'm shocked he was able to walk more less fight.

Post #14   2/10/09 5:35:58PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
These types of reports are so vague. Was he prescribed these meds? Doesn't say. If they were prescribed to him i don't see the problem. If not, well then he should be punished. That said , the demenior of the article suggested it was "illegally" taken but.......you see my point . Sorry for the rant

Post #15   2/10/09 5:37:48PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3