Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Derek Downey released by UFC after one fight

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
For talented kickboxer Derek Downey, his UFC debut will go down as a bittersweet memory.

After getting the short notice call to step in for Amir Sadollah against Nick Catone at this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 17, Downey has been released by the promotion after just one fight.

Sources close to Downey informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com of the news on Monday night.

LINK

Post #1   2/10/09 1:26:09AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
seems kind of brutal to release a guy for losing a fight that he accepted on short notice. That sends the message to new fighters that they shouldn't help the company out and take fights like this because they won't want to take the risk of being unable to train and getting cut for a loss. I would think you'd get rewarded for that kind of attitude instead of punished for it. I also didn't see the fight, so maybe he was just so bad that they thought it was pointless to keep him. Seems like the wrong message to send to the newer fighters though.

Post #2   2/10/09 3:04:59AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I don't think this changes a thing for younger fighters. You don't turn down a cup of coffee in the major leagues. They don't typically forget when someone helps out on short notice. I wouldn't be suprised if they throw him a bone again down the road. Not to mention the fact that now he'll have the words "Former UFC Fighter" next to his name on any regional promotion poster for the rest of his career. That still means something to small-time sponsorships.

Anyone who starts training MMA these days has the final goal of fighting in the UFC. When they call; you answer. Just ask Joe Lauzon.

Post #3   2/10/09 6:08:21AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
It was probably more like a trial fight for downey.

Post #4   2/10/09 10:26:38AM