Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

TKO Leaves Hyped Velasquez Unsatisfied

Print  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
TAMPA, Fla. -- Cain Velasquez hears the hype.

Viewed by some as a man who can contend for the heavyweight championship sooner rather than later, the 26-year-old American Kickboxing Academy prospect knows the UFC expects much from him. He believes his latest effort -- a second-round stoppage of pudgy newcomer Denis Stojnic in the UFC Fight Night 17 co-main event on Saturday at the Sun Dome -- left plenty of room for improvement.

“My timing was off,” Velasquez told UFC.com after he was pushed into the second round for the first time in his career. “The last two weeks of my training camp, I wasn’t able to spar. I think that had a lot to do with it. Other than that, I felt great.”

Still, he cannot argue with the results. Velasquez (5-0) battered Stojnic throughout the fight with knees, kicks and punches from the clinch. He did well in space, too, as he nearly finished the Golden Glory product with clean strikes from the outside in the first. A two-time All-American wrestler at Arizona State University, Velasquez mauled Stojnic on the ground and forced the referee to intervene 2:34 into the second round. Even so, he was not satisfied.

“I just wasn’t relaxed out there,” Velasquez said. “I think I need more ring time. I kind of tightened up. I was just throwing two punches [at a time]. I want to be able to throw more … head movement, sit in the pocket and keep that progress going. I was throwing and backing off. That’s not what I want to do. I want to be more active.”

link

Post #1   2/9/09 12:24:18AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Cain still thought the fight was going but it was actually stopped. Dominating fight for Cain, but it wasnt worthy of KOTN with Veach and Johnson's tko wins.
Cain will be better next time, more relaxed because he's got a couple ufc fights under his belt.

Post #2   2/9/09 12:31:56AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
He shouldn't be disappointed, Stojnic obviously has a head made of iron, he looked virtually impossible to knock out. He still completely dominated the fight in every position and made it very exciting from bell to bell. The only reason the finish didn't look spectacular is because Stojnic is an incredibly tough guy, no fault of Cain's. He probably could've continued eating shots for the entire 3 rounds, but the ref realized the fight was over.

Post #3   2/9/09 8:06:02AM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
That's what makes a great fighter never satisfied always wants to improve . How can you not root for the guy WAR CAIN!!!!!!!

Post #4   2/9/09 12:06:26PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
Wow, you have to love a guy who after totaly demolishing a guy says there is room for improvment. I think Cain is a very focused fighter and has the skills to match. His boxing is coming along. His clinch is very strong and has good kicks. Wrestling is very good. Cant wait to se him in there with top comp.

Post #5   2/9/09 5:16:18PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Cain is good I see him in the Heavyweight title picture soon.

Post #6   2/9/09 5:38:32PM