Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Training Help

Print  
Posted By Message

MMA_Juggalo

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
1st off stupid question: Alrighty, so I was wondering, if i toughen up my knuckles does that have any effect on my chances of knocking someone out??

Was just wonderin how I could get the most out of my punches...

Also was wondering when I watch Muay Thai boxers kicking...they seem to be able to just raise their legs and kick...basically like they are wavin their arms....with me its kind of awkward for me to do it i stumble and can't extend my leg as far to get a "nice" foot jab.... I can cross kick but thats about it....Any drills that could help?

Thanks guys!

Post #1   2/7/09 3:04:14AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Do you train at a gym? You prob need to practice the kick more and stretch. If you don't have a real instructor your not going to learn anything the right way. You have to get into a gym.

Post #2   2/7/09 9:56:08AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Kicking gets really fluid as you go along. Think of it like if you learned how to box. When you first start using your left arm to punch it's awkward as hell. The same it true with kicking. Take it from a guy who started out just learning the right low kick out of necessity and hating every minute of it. Now kicking is the best part of my standup game (2 years later).

They'll feel like arms after you build up so much coordination. Also, stretching helps and repetition in kicking will stretch you out too.

Punches straight or loopy no matter, come from your hips, the arm movement is just something that follows, ask Rampage, it's all about putting some ASS in to it lol.

And trust me, if training with no formal instruction youtube is your friend. You can find anything there and on the web.

Last edited 2/8/09 11:14PM server time by seanfu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   2/8/09 7:30:28PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Disregard that. Video training is NOT your friend if you don't know what you're doing.

No, toughening your knuckles won't help you knock people out, and most of the methods for doing so cause arthitis anyways. Stronger hand do help you knock people out, so buying a tortion gripper is a great way to work towards that goal and is relatively inexpensive.

As for your kicking problem, learn from someone that knows what they're doing, not video. You'll iron in entirely too many bad habits with videos and will have a hell of a time ironing those problems out down the road if you're serious about combat sports.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #4   2/8/09 8:02:15PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Disregard that. Video training is NOT your friend if you don't know what you're doing.

No, toughening your knuckles won't help you knock people out, and most of the methods for doing so cause arthitis anyways. Stronger hand do help you knock people out, so buying a tortion gripper is a great way to work towards that goal and is relatively inexpensive.

As for your kicking problem, learn from someone that knows what they're doing, not video. You'll iron in entirely too many bad habits with videos and will have a hell of a time ironing those problems out down the road if you're serious about combat sports.

Keep in mind I meant if you are completely on your own. You're not gonna exactly teach yourself from nothing. But that is a good point I forgot to mention. Self teaching is a last resort.

Last edited 2/8/09 11:19PM server time by seanfu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/8/09 11:10:25PM   

MMA_Juggalo

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Thanks guys, where I live there aren't any gyms around, the closest one is about an hour and a half away...so the only thing I can do is teach myself. I know its not a good way at all to be doing it, but it's the only way I have, and I'm extremely careful about what habits I pick up. For now I'm learning by trial and error, I train by myself, then I get my ass kicked a little bit and it shows me what I need to work on , when I punch I try to get as much rotation as possible with my hips and then try to get as much energy worked into it as possible. I've watched a couple of youtube videos on it...and I get what it's saying about how power comes from the ground up, so thats what I'm trying to work on, It just doesnt feel like its helping me hit any harder. My uncle used to teach Taekwondo, maybe I should get him to teach me some things.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Post #6   2/9/09 12:19:01AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
The problem is, you CANT tell when you develop bad habits because you don't know what to look for. Aside from video taping yourself and watching it later, you won't notice what you're doing wrong and its next to impossible to fix.

Right now, the only place to train is an hour and a half away, but perhaps in time some place will open up closer, you'll move, you'll be better able to travel that distance, etc. Theres no sense ruining a future because you're impatient about learning.

If you HAVE to do something, work on your general fitness, but trust me, you're not going to be doing yourself any favors by training with videos.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #7   2/10/09 8:13:10PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
What state are you in? There has to be a gym closer than 1 1/2 hours away.

Post #8   2/10/09 8:19:35PM