Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Did ZUFFA drop the ball on women's MMA?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:
With Strikeforce recently purchasing the majority of ProElite, look for them to not only create a woman's title in the near future, but to continue signing top ranked talent in that division and put together fights that the fans want to see, namely Gina Carano vs. Cris Cyborg.

If and when the WEC and Zuffa decide to pick up the woman's division, will it be too late?

Did Zuffa drop the ball by not signing women's MMA

Post #1   2/6/09 10:37:10PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
I still feel that there isn't enough interest surrounding womens MMA for UFC but it would have made a great addition to the WEC.

Post #2   2/6/09 10:55:35PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,493-773
Chips:
i hope ufc never has a woman's division, but i wouldn't mind it in the wec or some other smaller promotion

Post #3   2/6/09 11:09:01PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
The talent pool isnt deep enough to have a successful womens division

Post #4   2/6/09 11:15:04PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
I think so. I'll be watching whoever puts on the show.

Post #5   2/6/09 11:16:30PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,616-882
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by higdon10

The talent pool isnt deep enough to have a successful womens division

Talent pools suspiciously grow when the divisions get exposure.

From what I've heard before, Dana White was cold to the idea for a while and may still be.

Post #6   2/6/09 11:58:14PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
No stick to whats going to make money. Womans Boxing Womans Basketball Womans football the only girls in sport that we watch are Tennis.................then Golf and every 4 years at the olympics. Sure you have a fad jump up once in a while but they never last.

Post #7   2/7/09 12:05:03AM   

Afflicted

MMA Regular

Afflicted Avatar

Career:426-283
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
I was really hoping that the WEC would pick up the womens division. I cant get enough of my girl Gina. I have enjoyed every womens match that I have watched when they were with elitexc.

Post #8   2/7/09 12:20:45AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
not a fan of the women's division. i would actually be more angry than pleased if the UFC decided to make a women's division...Gina Carano deserves absolutely no spotlight

Post #9   2/7/09 1:22:36AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by postman
the only girls in sport that we watch are Tennis.................then Golf and every 4 years at the olympics. Sure you have a fad jump up once in a while but they never last.

IDK postman...

You get those MMA girls to grunt like the tennis chicks and I PROMISE a ratings spike like you wouldn't believe! (choose which every you feel is appropiate)

Post #10   2/7/09 1:24:33AM   

chitownsfinest15

MMA Regular

chitownsfinest15 Avatar

Career:413-266
Camp: KMX 7249
Chips:
I just don't see Dana giving in right away to bringing it into the UFC, but I think the WEC could be a home for women's MMA...but Zuffa is doing the right things for now...and I also don't think the women's division is deep enough to field yet...give it another year or so and it may pick up...

Post #11   2/7/09 1:47:10AM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
I think the ball was dropped. Woman's mma will continue to grow and gain support as exposure grows. I agree with Jitz freak that Carrano doesn't deserve the spotlight as she has trouble making weight for a division that was tailor made for her, but that isn't a reason to count out woman's mma. Same goes for the comparisons to other woman's sports. Its not the same sport so reaction to it and acceptance of it won't be the same either. I think some of the girl fights we've seen in the past prove that the girls scrap just as hard as the guys do, if not more due to the fact that people don't give them any credit or support for trying to make a name and a living doing what they love and are passionate about, mma.

Post #12   2/7/09 2:13:29AM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

not a fan of the women's division. i would actually be more angry than pleased if the UFC decided to make a women's division...Gina Carano deserves absolutely no spotlight

I agree completely. Im glad Im not alone on that one.

Post #13   2/7/09 3:02:57AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
nah they didn't drop the ball as far as I'm concerned. Carano vs Cyborg would probably be a profitable match, but can anyone think of any more? The UFC isn't going to build entire divisions around 1 fighter the way that EliteXC tried to do. I don't see women's MMA as being profitable enough overall to warrant creating an entire new division. I also don't personally enjoy it very much, but that isn't part of my reasoning at all.

There's also the fact that, if the UFC sees someone else actually successfully turning a profit from women's MMA, they have the power to start a league and immediately have ten times the advertising power as anyone else. If they feel that it has reached a point where it is popular and profitable enough to establish a division, they will most likely be able to do so in a very short period of time. They can offer more money, more advertising, and assemble a better roster than anyone else in a fraction of the time.

They are in such a powerful position that they don't need to be ahead of the curve, they can jump in late and still be able to push their competition out of the spotlight rather easily. Someone might take that ONE fight, but ultimately women's MMA is not profitable right now. If it ever is, the UFC will jump on it.

Post #14   2/7/09 4:13:34AM   

ACCBiggz

Learning to Sprawl

ACCBiggz Avatar

Career:702-415
Chips:
They did not drop the ball because the only fighters under ProElite contracts that are worth anything are Gina and Cyborg, and that's only one fight. They could easily create a more competitive women's division by offering a lower weight than the special Carano-division. Think of all the talent they could even bring over from places like SmackGirl that folded if their weight division was 120-125 or similar.

Post #15   2/7/09 9:34:34AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2