Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC HAS NEW RULES FOR CUTMEN AND CORNERS

Print  
Posted By Message

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,477-767
Chips:
Following a week of controversy after the Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn fight in which Vaseline was applied to the Canadian by one of his cornermen in between rounds, the UFC has instituted new policies regarding cut men and how the corners are allowed to enter during the breaks in between rounds for this weekend's Fight Night show in Tampa, Fla.

link

Post #1   2/6/09 10:15:24PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
okay this is way outta proportion. I understand if the statements are true, that he should be punished, even fined/suspended.

but come on guys, a lot of you are acting like Vaseline and Vaseline alone wins championships. And now when BJ says it, a long list of people who have lost to GSP are sayin it too. I dunno but sounds like everyone is overplaying this, but if it is true I do agree punishment is needed, and I guess these new rules are warranted.

Post #2   2/6/09 10:24:22PM   

kris_ericson

banned

kris_ericson Avatar

Career:173-142
Chips:
thats kinda rediculous if you ask me

Post #3   2/6/09 10:25:05PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
dont most guys get there face greased between rounds reguard less?

Post #4   2/6/09 10:25:22PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
That is pretty harsh... its simple though, make vaseline the final thing done in the corner. Once the vaseline is pulled out, it only get applied to the face and afterwards, the fighter is ready for the next round to begin. If anyone touches the fighter after the vaseline has been applied, give a warning or take a point. The cutman then discard the gloves to insure no vaseline is remaining on them after the next round.

Sounds simple yet very effective, so why can't anyone come up with an idea like this.

It would suck if the trainer/coach and cutman cant be in there at the same time... sure the trainer/couch can direct their fighter from outside the cage, but its just not the same as the trainer/couch being right there in the fighters face eye-2-eye...

Last edited 2/6/09 10:35PM server time by styles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/6/09 10:33:23PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
I don't think it's rediculous at all. It's a very reasonible measure of prevention. I'm actually suprised that this sort of thing hasn't come to light much earlier in the developement of the sport. I think that the only reason this has been such a polarizing issue is because of the spotlight that fight was under. Had this happened in a lesser-known fight I don't think people would give it another thought.

Post #6   2/7/09 1:29:51AM   

chitownsfinest15

MMA Regular

chitownsfinest15 Avatar

Career:413-266
Camp: KMX 7249
Chips:
I think this is sort of necessary...at least when something goes wrong right away the UFC will fix it...

Post #7   2/7/09 1:44:04AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Well, before this gets locked....

This seems like a good rule. I am not sure if the article means the UFC supplies the cutmen, or if someone for each fighter is designated as the cutman. I would prefer the latter. If the UFC is supplying the cutman too, I think the fighters should still be allowed two of their guys in the corner.

Simply, if you are the cutman, you can only touch the face period. This makes it easier to police and gets rid of all this nonsense.

Post #8   2/7/09 11:58:02AM   

RampageOwnedYou

Banned

RampageOwnedYou Avatar

Career:493-284
Chips:
I think only allowing one person in the corner at a time is a bit much. They could've allowed two. But it does makes it a lot easier for the AC's to pay attention with only one cornerman.

Why is the UFC making the rules? These AC's are pretty incompetent.

What other sport can makes it own rules without consulting an Athletic commission, or regulatory board? Am I the only one who finds this strange?

Post #9   2/7/09 1:32:22PM   

mictlantechutli

MMA Regular

mictlantechutli Avatar

Career:660-408
Chips:

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

I think only allowing one person in the corner at a time is a bit much. They could've allowed two. But it does makes it a lot easier for the AC's to pay attention with only one cornerman.

Why is the UFC making the rules? These AC's are pretty incompetent.

What other sport can makes it own rules without consulting an Athletic commission, or regulatory board? Am I the only one who finds this strange?

The article says that two people can enter the cage in between rounds. And I think this is an effective way to deal with the situation. I'm glad the UFC took matters into their own hands and didn't wait for the AC's to "investigate". Problem solved in my mind and I'm moving on.

Post #10   2/7/09 1:50:30PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Dana and the UFC knows this is a BIG problem and they are trying to pre empt it and focus on just the cornermen. Smart. I think this elucidates, however, that it's not a "little thing."

Every legitimate sport has to be vigilent about enforcing its rules. UFC is positioning itself as a top mainstream sport. Most Leagues have rules commissions that work very hard to protect their sports' integrity. Athletic Commissions are there to protect the integrity of sports but they ought not be the sole deciders of rules--they are the last legal resorts and watchdogs not the first responders.

Post #11   2/7/09 3:51:06PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I dont have a problem with thte rule at all. There should only be one guy talking in the corner anyways. Too many guys = too much confusion and loss of focus.(for the fighter)

Post #12   2/7/09 7:30:28PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
i know. I always think it's wierd when 5 guys are yelling different instructions at the same time to their fighter. Hard to have clarity with all that. 1 guy comes in, tells him what's up, bam. Ain't no different than sparring in the gym, water, mouthpiece, advice--get back out their and fight. Ain't complicated. Cutman is different though.

Post #13   2/8/09 1:48:09AM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Outrageous, what an outrage this has become.

Post #14   2/8/09 2:54:40PM