Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

StrikeForce buys ProElite

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:
Seems to be official. StrikeForce buys ProElite. Check it out

StrikeForce buys ProElite

Post #1   2/5/09 4:38:41PM   

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:
Contracts of all the big fighters will transfer.

Post #2   2/5/09 4:40:09PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
CONFIRMED

LOS ANGELES, CA. — In a transaction signaling the dawn of a new era in the world’s fastest growing sport, world championship mixed martial arts (MMA) organization Strikeforce®, has acquired certain fighter contracts from ProElite, Inc, the parent company of former Strikeforce ® co-promoter, Elite Xtreme Combat (EliteXC).

Strikeforce® also acquired other specific assets of ProElite, including a library of EliteXC events, which were distributed live on either CBS or Showtime Networks.

“This is a tremendous development that will bolster the Strikeforce® roster and allow us to produce even more competitive matchups between top fighters,” said Scott Coker, Founder and CEO of Strikeforce®. “Some of these athletes have been on the sidelines for a while now and are eagerly waiting to return to competition. We look forward to providing them with the opportunity to do so in the next few months.”

Strikeforce® and EliteXC joined forces to deliver the first live SHOWTIME PPV® MMA event, “Shamrock vs. Baroni,” on June 22, 2007. In the headlining contest, former UFC middleweight champion and MMA legend Frank Shamrock submitted knockout artist Phil “The New York Badass” Baroni in the second round, where upon Shamrock became the first Strikeforce® World Middleweight Champion.

On March 29, 2008, the two promotions collaborated once more to deliver a live telecast on SHOWTIME® featuring one of the sport’s most anticipated showdowns – Shamrock versus undefeated world kickboxing champion Cung Le. In a battle that has since been proclaimed “Fight Of The Year” by critics, Le seized the Strikeforce® middleweight crown by pouring on a relentless offensive and fending off Shamrock’s counter attacks before breaking the defending champion’s arm with a hard roundhouse kick. Shamrock retired from the bout after the third round of a five round match.

A martial arts promoter for over 23 years, Coker has gained widespread acclaim among industry colleagues and the media, including Rolling Stone magazine, Yahoo! Sports, and The San Jose Mercury News. Coker elevated his 14-year-old Strikeforce® organization to become a major player in the World’s fastest growing sport. Strikeforce’s® inaugural MMA event hosted a capacity crowd of 18,265 at San Jose’s HP Pavilion on March 10, 2006. The live gate figure also broke the then all-time record for attendance at an MMA event held in North America.

EliteXC burst onto the MMA scene with “Destiny,” the first live, SHOWTIME®-televised MMA fight card in history, on February 10, 2007. Held at Southaven Mississippi’s DeSoto Civic Center, the main event pitted Shamrock against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu expert, Renzo Gracie.

The promotion made history again by bringing, for the first time, a live MMA event to the CBS Television Network on May 31, 2008.

Post #3   2/5/09 4:44:39PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
thats awesome!....seems to be one of the few out there that hasnt recieved a toungue lashing from dana......plus scott whats-his-name, really runs his oragnization excellently and never tried to get bigger than his britches...atleast until now, should be intersting how this plays out....either way, theres a lot of fighters under contract that aren't fighting, so now they can finally!

Post #4   2/5/09 4:52:52PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
+1 for Strikeforce

Let's just hope (w/the acquisition of Kimbo) that they don't become Strokeforce and keep putting him in the main event.

Post #5   2/5/09 4:53:54PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by wiggum

thats awesome!....seems to be one of the few out there that hasnt recieved a toungue lashing from dana......plus scott whats-his-name, really runs his oragnization excellently and never tried to get bigger than his britches...atleast until now, should be intersting how this plays out....either way, theres a lot of fighters under contract that aren't fighting, so now they can finally!

Now that they're expanding a bit expect that to change. I hope they don't have to pay Kimbo $500,000.

Post #6   2/5/09 5:18:12PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by wiggum

Now that they're expanding a bit expect that to change. I hope they don't have to pay Kimbo $500,000.

$500,000 is probably guarenteed in Kimbo's contract. I dont really know the details in his contract.

I smell a couple of unification bouts.

I hope they put Gina vs Cyborg together soon.

Post #7   2/5/09 5:40:33PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I'm a huge supporter of the ufc... I think its almost instinctual for me to knock on these other organizations just because they're not the ufc and they're they ones keeping the ufc from having all the top talent in one pool. With the farce that was exliteXC ruining mma's first impression on mainstream fans... with affliction's pay structure jacking up the industry... but man, i gotta be honest... this is some good news.

Strikeforce has always put on good shows and have tried to grow at a moderate pace which fits their organization. This is obviously an aggressive move, but hopefully they can take the talent and tv contracts which they've just picked up and use them to grow a proper organization. This means paying kimbo like 50k per fight... you have to respect his draw... but not 500k per fight... not even 250k per fight. Kimbo is not the greatest things since sliced bread... he's not going to be the greatest fighter in the world... but he is capable of exciting matches. Strikeforce now has a great roster... and i'm looking forward to some great fights

Post #8   2/5/09 5:51:53PM   

bigox420

MMA Regular

bigox420 Avatar

Career:1,073-798
Chips:

Great news. They have to keep the ladies going. Cause we know the UFC wants no part of that.

WAR
Carono vs Cybrog

Post #9   2/5/09 6:15:44PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
MAKE IT HAPPEN! *clap clap clap clap clap* MAKE IT HAPPEN! Our Crush may finally have been saved...if this is true then obviously I will be incredibly happy.

Post #10   2/5/09 6:40:04PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,364-1,587
Chips:
If they do the right things it will be great.
They quickly need to unify any titles.
They need to promote their champions and make them identifiable to the public.
The fans want to know who the champs are and who the contenders are in the weight divisions.
I think if the IFL did that right off the bat...they would still exist.
They didn't have individual champions until a couple years in...and at that point it was too late.
They need to call it Strikeforce...leave it like it is.
Identify their champs.
If a weight division doesn't have one...then they need to have a title bout or a mini tourney.
Once a month on Sho and a few times a year on CBS would be great.
It will be good to see some non PPV fights.
This past month was crazy. 3 PPVs. $44.95 x 3. The UFC just had to try and block Affliction....I got all 3 though.

Post #11   2/5/09 7:33:45PM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
I was just talking about something like this. I've been waiting for something to happen. so pumped

Post #12   2/5/09 7:36:34PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
This is cool, I guess. More competition for the UFC is good. I was looking forward to seeing some of the fighters contracted to ProElite coming to (or back to) the UFC. Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait another year.

Post #13   2/5/09 7:56:07PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I wonder how much counter programing dana has planned for strikeforce events, if he has any at all, since he has been quoted saying nothing but good things about strikeforce.

Overall i think that this is the best possible outcome for mma. it would have been nice to see most of these fighters in the ufc, but its nice to see strikeforce's talent pool get a little deeper.

Post #14   2/5/09 8:32:50PM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:
I don't think that Dana is going to counter program anything when it comes to Strikeforce. Strikeforce needs to be very careful of who's contracts that they pick up because they could end up right where EliteXC went. I view WEC and Strikeforce on the same level but no where near what the UFC is regardless of their talent level. Fights don't come up through the ranks and want to fight for Strikeforce, they want to fight for the UFC.

Post #15   2/5/09 8:40:00PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2