Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

St. Pierre: 'I never cheated in my life'

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
Posted By Message

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
LINK

Georges St. Pierre has had enough.

The UFC welterweight champion should be celebrating the four-round pummeling he gave lightweight king B.J. Penn last Saturday at UFC 94 in Las Vegas. Instead, St. Pierre’s had to defend his integrity amidst allegations that his cornermen improperly applied Vaseline to the fighter’s shoulders and back during his first two corner breaks.

“Listen, I never cheated in my life,” an animated St. Pierre told Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday. “Let me tell you something, I never said something bad to B.J. Penn. I never answered back to him with what he said. I’ve always been respectful. Even after the fight I went and told him, ‘Hey, keep your head up. You can be proud. You’re a tough guy. You stayed in the ring for a long time.’ But now that he says something like that it bothers me a lot. He already said I was taking steroids, that I was a quitter, that he was blaming me for seeing a sports psychologist and now he says that I cheat because I use Vaseline.”

“Lets go do a rematch with B.J. Penn,” said St. Pierre. “We’re going to do it this summer. St. Pierre-Penn III -- and this time we’ll wear a rash guard. I guarantee you the result will be the same or even worse for him.”

Post #1   2/5/09 3:59:34PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I cheated in my life.

Post #2   2/5/09 4:12:10PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
I don't understand BJ isn't the one who started making all of these remarks about what he did it was the NASC. So why is he so pissed at BJ, its not him that has called him out on this. Its about as high as you can get in sports that pointed this out.

Post #3   2/5/09 4:18:29PM   

evan9eleven

Banned

Career:31-27
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

I don't understand BJ isn't the one who started making all of these remarks about what he did it was the NASC. So why is he so pissed at BJ, its not him that has called him out on this. Its about as high as you can get in sports that pointed this out.

...he filed the papers.GSP should fight BJ covered in Stick 'Em.

Post #4   2/5/09 4:38:48PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
GSP just needs to be quiet, or at least not lashing out. Greg Jackson has apologized for the mistake. Why hasn't GSP. Instead he is all defensive. As far as I know, BJ hasn't called him a cheater in regards to this. He didn't even file to have the match overturned.

Here's what GSP should say: "I am sorry if any wrong has been done. None of it was intential. Most of the allegations are ridiculous and will be proved as such. Even my opponents have stated any mistakes possibly made did not affect the fights. Once again I apologize and the situation is being handle by the NSAC and hope to get back to fighting and having my name cleared. Thank you."

Just leave it at that.

Post #5   2/5/09 4:58:08PM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:
was wondering when i would see a reply from gsp. after he smashes thiago i guess theyre gonna fight again. but what happens if bj loses to kenny. no one will want to watch that fight because it doesnt make sense to give a two time loser a title match

Post #6   2/5/09 5:03:33PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:
Why wouldn't we see a reply from GSP? He was the fighter accsued of having Vaseline on his back during a fight. Oh course GSP has to speak out and make things straight.

Post #7   2/5/09 5:20:53PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

Posted by TimW001

LINK

“Listen, I never cheated in my life,” an animated St. Pierre told Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday. “Let me tell you something, I never said something bad to B.J. Penn. I never answered back to him with what he said. I’ve always been respectful. Even after the fight I went and told him, ‘Hey, keep your head up. You can be proud. You’re a tough guy. You stayed in the ring for a long time.’ But now that he says something like that it bothers me a lot. He already said I was taking steroids, that I was a quitter, that he was blaming me for seeing a sports psychologist and now he says that I cheat because I use Vaseline.”

“Lets go do a rematch with B.J. Penn,” said St. Pierre. “We’re going to do it this summer. St. Pierre-Penn III -- and this time we’ll wear a rash guard. I guarantee you the result will be the same or even worse for him.”

his 1st sentence is a lie, just because you dont do it on purpose doesnt mean that he didnt cheat. i dont think it affected the fight any but its still cheating. you dont cheat because you use vaseline, you cheat because your corner put it on your back where that is illegal. i guess cheaters are not very smart

i dont want to see bj-gsp 3. gsp winning both are enough for me to say he is the better fighter. but i would like to hear him address the situation instead of blaming bj, maybe take abit of responsibility

Post #8   2/5/09 5:32:42PM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:
i said i was wondering "when"

Post #9   2/5/09 5:38:17PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:

Posted by evan9eleven

Posted by motorboatensob

...he filed the papers.GSP should fight BJ covered in Stick 'Em.

He filed them way after the NASC saw what was going on and they are the ones looking into all of this. Had they never said anything about it BJ wouldn't have done anything. If the top of the food chain sees something like this you know the ones who make the rules then you can't blame BJ for filing the papers.

Post #10   2/5/09 6:16:13PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by gabe531

Posted by TimW001

LINK

his 1st sentence is a lie, just because you dont do it on purpose doesnt mean that he didnt cheat. i dont think it affected the fight any but its still cheating. you dont cheat because you use vaseline, you cheat because your corner put it on your back where that is illegal. i guess cheaters are not very smart

i dont want to see bj-gsp 3. gsp winning both are enough for me to say he is the better fighter. but i would like to hear him address the situation instead of blaming bj, maybe take abit of responsibility

It's not a lie, you have to make a conscious effort to cheat or else its not cheating. Finding out after the fact that your win may or may not have been tainted by outside influence has nothing to do with how the match went down.

Post #11   2/5/09 6:45:57PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
time until DCRage locks this thread...3.....2......1....

Post #12   2/5/09 6:51:56PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
gsp's response in this interview is just a culmination of all the things that have been said between gsp and penn leading up to the fight... unfortunately most of the things that have been said are by penn directed at gsp

Penn:
- Gsp is not a fighter, he's just an athlete
- Gsp is a little bitch
- Gsp is a quitter
- Gsp knows who won our first fight
- I dont know how gsp won the first fight, its not called the ultimate takedown championship
- Gsp is probably on steroids
- etc, etc

Gsp:
- does anyone actually remember gsp saying anything negative or disrespectful towards penn at any time?

The reason why gsp 'lashed' out is because this fight was supposed to be his way of silencing the critics, and silencing penn's **** talk... he kept his mouth shut because he firmly believed that he could do his talking with his fists and do his talking in the cage. He was as dominant as he could've been in that fight... absolutely owned penn for 3 of the 4 rounds and was the first person to legitimately finish penn.... even sent him to the hospital. The fact that after that performance, penn is turning around and essentially calling gsp a cheater is the ultimate sign of disrespect.

I do think that gsp should acknowledge the possibility that he had SOME vaseline on PARTS of his back (people are making it sounds like he showered in it between rounds). But why are people expecting him to take responsibility for this as if he put it on himself? He's not the one applying vaseline and its a very legitimate assumption that as far as he knew, they were just doing the breathing exercise that he's been doing for years. Gsp has always been classy, and has always given us every reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Innocent until proven guilty.... for so many reasons

Post #13   2/5/09 6:53:49PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,483-1,177
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

gsp's response in this interview is just a culmination of all the things that have been said between gsp and penn leading up to the fight... unfortunately most of the things that have been said are by penn directed at gsp

Penn:
- Gsp is not a fighter, he's just an athlete
- Gsp is a little bitch
- Gsp is a quitter
- Gsp knows who won our first fight
- I dont know how gsp won the first fight, its not called the ultimate takedown championship
- Gsp is probably on steroids
- etc, etc

Gsp:
- does anyone actually remember gsp saying anything negative or disrespectful towards penn at any time?

The reason why gsp 'lashed' out is because this fight was supposed to be his way of silencing the critics, and silencing penn's **** talk... he kept his mouth shut because he firmly believed that he could do his talking with his fists and do his talking in the cage. He was as dominant as he could've been in that fight... absolutely owned penn for 3 of the 4 rounds and was the first person to legitimately finish penn.... even sent him to the hospital. The fact that after that performance, penn is turning around and essentially calling gsp a cheater is the ultimate sign of disrespect.

I do think that gsp should acknowledge the possibility that he had SOME vaseline on PARTS of his back (people are making it sounds like he showered in it between rounds). But why are people expecting him to take responsibility for this as if he put it on himself? He's not the one applying vaseline and its a very legitimate assumption that as far as he knew, they were just doing the breathing exercise that he's been doing for years. Gsp has always been classy, and has always given us every reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Innocent until proven guilty.... for so many reasons

Now this thread can be locked with the rest of them.

Post #14   2/5/09 7:14:43PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by haggiswashere

time until DCRage locks this thread...3.....2......1....

Sorry guys, no more Vaseline-Gate or anything BJ-GSP related for the time being. Admin orders.

Post #15   2/5/09 7:25:29PM