Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Someone show Jon Jones some Andy Hug tapes...

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
Jon Jone's unorthodox striking had me on the edge of my seat! now, his grecco slams were also amazing and i would love to see him use those again and again, but his strikes just had my second guessing if i was still awake or not. i mean, a spinning back elbow that lands flush to the head! are you kidding me!?!?!

if someone could just show Jones some Andy Hug tapes, maybe we can see the first successful Hug Tornado used in MMA history

Last edited 2/1/09 3:58AM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/1/09 3:58:16AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Jon Jone's unorthodox striking had me on the edge of my seat! now, his grecco slams were also amazing and i would love to see him use those again and again, but his strikes just had my second guessing if i was still awake or not. i mean, a spinning back elbow that lands flush to the head! are you kidding me!?!?!

if someone could just show Jones some Andy Hug tapes, maybe we can see the first successful Hug Tornado used in MMA history

RIP Andy Hug's axe kick, we all miss you.

Post #2   2/1/09 4:05:48AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I was actually way more impressed by his takedowns, although I was impressed by both. I think his striking creates a lot of openings that a more technical fighter like Rampage or Machida would just evade and pick apart, but his takedowns were probably the best I've ever seen.

He would just shift his momentum instantaneously from any direction to any other direction and always ended up on top. Bonnar is no slouch either, I've never seen him manhandled so badly. The guy has ridiculous reation time, I think he might rely on it too much though. I think he needs to start training with someone like Greg Jackson who can show him how to sharpen his abilities and focus them with a solid gameplan. Right now I think he has a shitload of potential, but that more technical strikers will be able to take advantage of his style.

Post #3   2/1/09 5:40:43AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I agree, Aether. I told a guy last night that those kind of punches are the things you can get away with for awhile, but once people start getting some tape on you they are going to exploit that unorthodox-ness. (For lack of a better word)

Look what happened to Urijah Faber against Mike Brown. That wasn't the first time he ever tried that elbow off the cage, and BAM!

Post #4   2/1/09 10:09:58AM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I agree, Aether. I told a guy last night that those kind of punches are the things you can get away with for awhile, but once people start getting some tape on you they are going to exploit that unorthodox-ness. (For lack of a better word)

Look what happened to Urijah Faber against Mike Brown. That wasn't the first time he ever tried that elbow off the cage, and BAM!

well doesn't that theory work with everyone then because unorthodox or not people will get used to your style unless your machida apparently

Post #5   2/1/09 10:18:30AM   

thelastking

MMA Regular

thelastking Avatar

Career:1,960-1,200
Chips:

Posted by cmb19932

well doesn't that theory work with everyone then because unorthodox or not people will get used to your style unless your machida apparently

No, what i believe he is saying is that jon jones striking left him open to be countered quite a bit although very entertaining he would be picked apart by someone who is a technical striker especially is they get to see a bunch of his fights. If he were a technical striker he would not leave these openings for a another striker to exploit.

Post #6   2/1/09 10:29:21AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmb19932

Posted by Jackelope

That's true, but the more conservative your style the smaller the holes in your game are. The more unorthodox and wild the bigger they are. It's a risk/reward model basically.

For example- if a guy sticks to clean punches and combinations he will always have his chin tucked into his shoulder and his hands up because that's the way they are designed. However, if a guy attempts spinning elbows and other things of this nature he opens up a weakness. With a spinning elbow the legs cross so obviously that's a weakness for a takedown. In Urijah's case with the spinning elbow he left his chin hanging and Mike Brown touched it.

Post #7   2/1/09 10:29:27AM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:
i gotcha i was just playing devils advocate for conversations sake

Post #8   2/1/09 10:39:57AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmb19932

i gotcha i was just playing devils advocate for conversations sake

NP, I appreciate it!

Post #9   2/1/09 10:52:28AM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,629-1,436
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I was really impressed with this kid, even though I picked and bet against him. He's only twenty one and beat a long time lhw contender in Stephan Bonnar, he mixes up the strikes and wrestling really well and skies the limit if he can continue to improve.

Cant wait to see him again

Post #10   2/1/09 11:14:24AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
what an exciting guy.

That elbow was to the back of the head, and the knee i couldnt get a good view looked like to the head but may have been to the shoulder, if to the head B was on the ground still so that would have been two huge illegal strikes.

The guy is amazing his reach is like 7 feet 1. i thought for sure step was out after the elbow damn he is though i woulda been sleepin like a baby all night.

Post #11   2/1/09 11:52:32AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
JJ condition was terrible if he works on that, he will be a champ someday

Post #12   2/1/09 11:54:32AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
WAR GRECO

Post #13   2/1/09 12:36:10PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
The spinning elbow certainly did land flush...flush on the back of the head. Obviously it happened real fast, and as it cool as it was--definetely an illegal strike.

Those throws were incredible. It was amazing how quickly Jone's was able to shift his weight and attack Bonnar's balance. This guy is going to be huge. That said, he has a lot of work to do in terms of cardio, and refining his defense. If Bonnar had a better gas tank he probably could have put Jone's away. It looked like Bonnar could clinch and uppercut Jones all night--if only there wre some power behind his punches.

To me the fight really came down to Bonnar not being in great shape, and implementing a poor gameplan. By the thrd round, it was pointless to throw body kicks and expend energy on them. He was battering Jone's in the third on the outside, but then he dashes in for a clinch, where he's been getting thrown around all night. You could here his corner screaming, "Get out of there Stephan, back up, back up!" Either he just refused to listen, or he was too gassed to box.

Either way, really impressive performance from Jones. He's going to be a force in a few years, but definetely I think Stephan gave him this fight.

Post #14   2/1/09 12:47:14PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I called this one from the get go. His wrestling was as much a factor as his stand up. Had him on my parlay even but the judges screwed that for me when they gave guida the nod.

Post #15   2/1/09 2:16:46PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2