Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Finally...Vindication For Machida Fans

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by fizzle

I really didn't think it was possible for me to become any bigger of a Machida Nut Hugger. UFC 94 should be called "Stands Corrected" for all the haters.

i won't stand corrected, it's a fact that 90% of the fights in his career were boring as ****, I'm not going to call machida an exciting fighter after one exciting win, I'm just not going to do it, I can't ignore his history. Like I said earlier, you guy all sound like mike vick when he had his one decent passing game a year telling the media they can't complain about him not being a good passer anymore.

Post #31   2/1/09 2:52:35PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by fizzle

I really didn't think it was possible for me to become any bigger of a Machida Nut Hugger. UFC 94 should be called "Stands Corrected" for all the haters.

i won't stand corrected, it's a fact that 90% of the fights in his career were boring as ****, I'm not going to call machida an exciting fighter after one exciting win, I'm just not going to do it, I can't ignore his history. Like I said earlier, you guy all sound like mike vick when he had his one decent passing game a year telling the media they can't complain about him not being a good passer anymore.

Really, you have seen his fights prior to the UFC? He finished 4 out of 7 matches including a pretty substantial finish over Rich Franklin, brutalized Stephan Bonnar, tooled BJ Penn. I don't see how you can say 90% of his fights are boring.

Post #32   2/1/09 3:02:57PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
Machida's ko over Silva was the shining bright point for me the entire night. I blew it big time with my picks and was miserable most of the night, but seeing Machida dominate was great. Future lhw champ.

Post #33   2/1/09 3:10:03PM   

Knockout

Learning to Sprawl

Knockout Avatar

Career:471-360
Camp: TEAM KO
Chips:
I was quite surprised at the outcome of this fight.

4:59 of round 1 too.

so ironic that machida gets the only finish of the night

Post #34   2/1/09 3:10:43PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by fizzle

Really, you have seen his fights prior to the UFC? He finished 4 out of 7 matches including a pretty substantial finish over Rich Franklin, brutalized Stephan Bonnar, tooled BJ Penn. I don't see how you can say 90% of his fights are boring.

i have seen most of his fights including the franklin and bj fights, his fight with rich was good but the vast majority of his fights are boring, yes i was exaggerating with my 90% claim but I was just trying to make a point that just because he has had one exciting fight doesn't make him an exciting fighter. and to be honest with you his fight with rashad, while deserving and even, will probably be a snooze fest as both guys love to use their footwork and counter. I was absolutely impressed with Machida and always have been, I just don't think he has earned the right to be called an exciting fighter. Talented, absolutely, top 5 lhw? without question at the least, but exciting? I'm not quite ready to make that claim, I need to see him do it more often.

Post #35   2/1/09 3:50:04PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I agree that Machida vs Rashad would most likely be incredibly boring because of their styles combined.

As far as the title shot, I know that Dana said he would get it after he won this fight, but it seems like he's now saying that it depends on how Rampage performs against Jardine. If that's the case I'm guessing Rampage will get the shot first because he will probably get a brutal KO over the dean. I thought Rampage should've just gotten his shot instead of fighting Jardine and then Machida would get the next one and this situation would be avoided but oh well.

Post #36   2/1/09 4:00:11PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

I agree that Machida vs Rashad would most likely be incredibly boring because of their styles combined.

As far as the title shot, I know that Dana said he would get it after he won this fight, but it seems like he's now saying that it depends on how Rampage performs against Jardine. If that's the case I'm guessing Rampage will get the shot first because he will probably get a brutal KO over the dean. I thought Rampage should've just gotten his shot instead of fighting Jardine and then Machida would get the next one and this situation would be avoided but oh well.

agree 100% with everything you said, rashad had to have turned down a fight that early or something, because what they are doing now makes no sense. But to be honest it will probably work out, if machida has one more fight before a title shot he will probably win, i think he beats anybody in the division except for rampage.

Post #37   2/1/09 4:02:41PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:
Told ya bitches...

Post #38   2/1/09 4:11:41PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm glad Machida won.
I picked Thiago,but only because I had already picked Machida on the UFC fantasy game,so I figured I would cover both because it was an extreamely hard choice for me to make.

I hope Machida finaly starts getting the respect he deserves,because he is definently imo,one of the top fighters on the planet today.

Post #39   2/1/09 4:53:56PM   

deadmanshand

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I'm a twenty year veteran of several different martial arts and I train others in them. Combined with my background in Forensic Human Behavior Studies I have developed a good eye for technique and attitude. Not that that will sway any of you till you read my perception of the fight last night. Probably not even then. These are my thoughts on Lyoto Machida.

He was god awful. His striking technique is very weak. the only time he takes a shot a someone is when they over extend themselves. I watched last nights fight several times and that was ninety percent of his strikes. He holds his head up and his hands down. His continual backwards movement steals the power from his blows. Only his kicks were truly decent. His accuracy left a lot to be desired. As any decent striker should have been able to put Silva to sleep within the first two minutes. Their was very little head movement utilized and his footwork is sloppy.

On the ground he seemed unable to take advantage of Silva's weakness. Rocked and wounded he still didn't finish him. He had his back at one point and held on to his waist doing nothing simply allowing him to stand up. The winning punch was a good one though as was his trips.

And one more thing did you see how heavily Lyoto was breathing by the end of that round? He was close to gassing. He was mouth open gulping in air.

Psychologically he doesn't have that killer instinct. After looking at most of his other fights in the last few hours he rarely goes in for the kill even when his opponent is hurt. He prefers to play this really safe outpointing game that he does. Even his body language says he doesn't want to take a hit. Did you see him at the weigh ins? He leaned his upper body back away from Thiago and put his arms between the two of them. That is a text book fear defensive response. And I'm not just talking about when they posed for the picture.

After all the hype I had heard about him I expected something more. People keep saying how he is the best of the Light Heavyweight division but I just don't see it. Thiago Silva lost last night. He would have done so against any halfway decent fighter. I was sorely disappointed by Machida.

Post #40   2/1/09 5:42:52PM   

cheesebeer

Learning to Sprawl

cheesebeer Avatar

Career:353-230
Chips:
I have to say I didn't think he would finish him. Very impressive performance. Props to Machida for proving me wrong.

Post #41   2/1/09 8:27:14PM   

HumanTarget

MMA Regular

HumanTarget Avatar

Career:561-331
Chips:

Posted by deadmanshand

I'm a twenty year veteran of several different martial arts and I train others in them. Combined with my background in Forensic Human Behavior Studies I have developed a good eye for technique and attitude. Not that that will sway any of you till you read my perception of the fight last night. Probably not even then. These are my thoughts on Lyoto Machida.

He was god awful. His striking technique is very weak. the only time he takes a shot a someone is when they over extend themselves. I watched last nights fight several times and that was ninety percent of his strikes. He holds his head up and his hands down. His continual backwards movement steals the power from his blows. Only his kicks were truly decent. His accuracy left a lot to be desired. As any decent striker should have been able to put Silva to sleep within the first two minutes. Their was very little head movement utilized and his footwork is sloppy.

On the ground he seemed unable to take advantage of Silva's weakness. Rocked and wounded he still didn't finish him. He had his back at one point and held on to his waist doing nothing simply allowing him to stand up. The winning punch was a good one though as was his trips.

And one more thing did you see how heavily Lyoto was breathing by the end of that round? He was close to gassing. He was mouth open gulping in air.

Psychologically he doesn't have that killer instinct. After looking at most of his other fights in the last few hours he rarely goes in for the kill even when his opponent is hurt. He prefers to play this really safe outpointing game that he does. Even his body language says he doesn't want to take a hit. Did you see him at the weigh ins? He leaned his upper body back away from Thiago and put his arms between the two of them. That is a text book fear defensive response. And I'm not just talking about when they posed for the picture.

After all the hype I had heard about him I expected something more. People keep saying how he is the best of the Light Heavyweight division but I just don't see it. Thiago Silva lost last night. He would have done so against any halfway decent fighter. I was sorely disappointed by Machida.

I understand your "knowledge" and "Forensic Human Behavior Studies" but please. Machida is the number one LHW in this sport. He has beaten everyone put in front of him convincingly. I doubt Lyoto was about to gas. Maybe your just an angry Thiago fan

Post #42   2/1/09 8:32:24PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by deadmanshand

He was god awful.

Really? In comparison to whom? There are ZERO other successful MMA fighters with as strong a karate base as Machida, and thus far, no one can solve his technique. Name me one karate influence MMA fighter that has better technique than Machida.

His striking technique is very weak. the only time he takes a shot a someone is when they over extend themselves. I watched last nights fight several times and that was ninety percent of his strikes. He holds his head up and his hands down. His continual backwards movement steals the power from his blows. Only his kicks were truly decent. His accuracy left a lot to be desired. As any decent striker should have been able to put Silva to sleep within the first two minutes. Their was very little head movement utilized and his footwork is sloppy.

He knocked Silva on his ass three times, with the last resulting in a bullseye downward punch. Have you actually ever seen Machida fight prior to this? He isn't a boxer, therefore he doesn't maintain a boxer's defense with his hands up, and thus far, he has shown fantastic head and body movement because no one can hit him. Name me one fighter in the division who has better technique at evading strikes than Machida.

Machida has been training BJJ since he was 15, and has defeated black belts. Have you ever submitted a BJJ black belt? I only ask because you seem to think your opinion is more valid because of your history, yet you don't really seem to know what areas Machida is very proficient in. It's easier said than done submitting or finishing someone in a full contact battle.

Lyoto wasn't anywhere near gassing. If he was breathing heavy it was because he just finished screaming at the top of his lungs because he finished a guy in a big fight. He went three rounds with Tito, the cardio machine, without suffering as much as a scratch.

Ask Silva if he thinks Lyoto fights safe and acted scared. It's disrespectful to say any experienced, professional fighter is afraid of getting hit.

How can you be disappointed in a guy who has gone 6-0 in the UFC's deepest division and is currently undefeated in MMA at 14-0? How is it possible to be disappointed in him? What do you want him to do, break out nunchucks?

Last edited 2/1/09 9:09PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #43   2/1/09 9:00:38PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by deadmanshand

Harsh

Last edited 2/2/09 4:10AM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #44   2/1/09 10:25:02PM   

deadmanshand

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I did say no one would change their minds. I gave my opinion and people threaten me with banning. Cute. As far as I remember this is my only account here. I made it to post my thoughts. If you guys don't agree fine. I tell you what my experience and education showed me in that fight and...I get threatened with banning. Isn't this forum about sharing one's thoughts on the sport and it's fighters?

Post #45   2/1/09 10:44:55PM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5