Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Wanderlei Silva Moving Down to Middleweight

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,385-791
Chips:
ESPN's Franklin McNeil reported on MMA Live's weigh-in special that Wanderlei Silva will finally take the plunge down to middleweight. Silva made the decision after going 1-3 in his last three fights at 205.

LINK

Post #1   1/31/09 2:56:55AM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
Please pleaselet his first fight be against Chris Leben.

Post #2   1/31/09 4:02:15AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
damn I would imagine he's going to have to drop some muscle mass, he's already a pretty ripped 205er, if he can actually make that cut he would be massive at 185.

Post #3   1/31/09 4:35:33AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i expect shogun to follow suit in late 09 or early 2010

Post #4   1/31/09 5:03:39AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Wanderlei will make a great addition to the middle weight division!!! Atleast in my opinion.

Post #5   1/31/09 7:34:35AM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Yea, this is a good decision by Wanderlei, I think he would do better in the MW.

Post #6   1/31/09 8:51:55AM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:

Posted by JBatch

Definately! Leben needs to prove himself for his comeback after the Stanozolol episode. For someone who has a reputation for ability to take punishment, it will be interesting to see how long he lasts

Post #7   1/31/09 9:22:18AM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

Posted by JBatch

Definately! Leben needs to prove himself for his comeback after the Stanozolol episode. For someone who has a reputation for ability to take punishment, it will be interesting to see how long he lasts

Leben is an awful match up for wandy if you look at their styles. Leben CAN take a punch and Wandy chin is a little on the weak side. I honestly see Leben taking that fight. I'd much rather see him fight someone like Marquardt or Okami. A rematch with Belfort would be sweet too.

Last edited 1/31/09 10:22AM server time by mondaynitemauser
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/31/09 10:22:09AM   

casey64

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by MondayNiteMauser

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

Posted by JBatch

Leben is an awful match up for wandy if you look at their styles. Leben CAN take a punch and Wandy chin is a little on the weak side. I honestly see Leben taking that fight. I'd much rather see him fight someone like Marquardt or Okami. A rematch with Belfort would be sweet too.

Wat, you see Leban taking that fight.

Post #9   1/31/09 10:35:12AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
give him james irvin or belcher
u need to have him progress up
maybe even okami
i think wandy at 185 could be dangerous but fight i wanna see most is wandy vs hendo rematch

Post #10   1/31/09 10:44:14AM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by casey64

What's so about that? I think we all should know by now that anything can happen in MMA. I don't see it being a stretch. As already said above, Leben has a chin and can withstand a great amount of punishment. Wandy, on the other hand, his chin has looked very vulnerable, to say the least.
At least he gave an explanation instead of just post whoring.

Last edited 1/31/09 11:07AM server time by gspfan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   1/31/09 11:04:24AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
i think belcher is probably the best fight to give him right now... belcher just came off a win over kang, and if he can pull off the upset over silva then we have another big name in the division. If silva is still capable then he should get the 1/2nd round ko and it'll be a good warm up fight for him in the division

I think pitting him against leben isnt a great idea because leben is still a pretty big draw... the doode has dynamite in both hands, a granite chin, and isnt afraid to take a punch if he means he can land one. Those are qualities that beg for good fights... he'll never be champ, but as long as his chin holds, he's main card material. Putting silva against him means one of them will come out with a loss, when both desperately need a good win to maintain their marketability.

Whoever he gets, i think it should be a warmup fight... he'll have some serious adjusting to do at that weight.. giving him someone who poses a serious threat to him is a huge risk for the ufc

With all that said, give him the warm up fight... then give him the loser of hendo/bisping, then give him a top contender, and if he makes it that far, give him the title shot.

Anybody know what silva's thoughts are on fighting anderson?

Post #12   1/31/09 11:06:56AM   

casey64

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by gspfan

Posted by casey64

What's so about that? I think we all should know by now that anything can happen in MMA. I don't see it being a stretch. As already said above, Leben has a chin and can withstand a great amount of punishment. Wandy, on the other hand, his chin has looked very vulnerable, to say the least.
At least he gave an explanation instead of just post whoring.

IMO, I dont see Leban standing chance with Wandy, thats my opnion, you dont have a right to say I was post whoring, its my opinion.

Post #13   1/31/09 11:57:15AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

i think belcher is probably the best fight to give him right now... belcher just came off a win over kang, and if he can pull off the upset over silva then we have another big name in the division. If silva is still capable then he should get the 1/2nd round ko and it'll be a good warm up fight for him in the division

I think pitting him against leben isnt a great idea because leben is still a pretty big draw... the doode has dynamite in both hands, a granite chin, and isnt afraid to take a punch if he means he can land one. Those are qualities that beg for good fights... he'll never be champ, but as long as his chin holds, he's main card material. Putting silva against him means one of them will come out with a loss, when both desperately need a good win to maintain their marketability.

Whoever he gets, i think it should be a warmup fight... he'll have some serious adjusting to do at that weight.. giving him someone who poses a serious threat to him is a huge risk for the ufc

With all that said, give him the warm up fight... then give him the loser of hendo/bisping, then give him a top contender, and if he makes it that far, give him the title shot.

Anybody know what silva's thoughts are on fighting anderson?

I was thinking the same thing about anderson since they are friends and wand has the serious potential to become a title contender. plus with affliction all but done, ufc could bring vitor for a rematch at 185 once wand has gotten comfortable with the weight cut. I also want to see how wand is gonna take the weight cut cause he doesn't have much fat on him so he will be losing a lot of muscle mass (but it did work great for vitor)

Post #14   1/31/09 12:09:11PM   

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
id love to see him as MW if the suts not to much for him. as for who he fights i realy dont care considering wandy doesnt have boring fights

Post #15   1/31/09 12:42:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2