Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Machida Stands Behind His Style Going Into UFC 94

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Ryoto (Lyoto) Machida has heard it before. People talk the talk about his style and tactics. But despite all the criticism he stands behind his style and feels very comfortable and confident going into his fight with Thiago Silva tomorrow at UFC 94.

Article

Post #1   1/30/09 9:03:51AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
his style is extremely boring I cannot stand to watch Machida fight. I truely hope he loses because if that guy ends up champ we will end up having to watch the most boring 5 round fights ever.

Post #2   1/30/09 10:53:58AM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
So you'd prefer seeing "entertaining" fights rather than the best fighters fight?

I think Kimbo still has some youtube vids you can check out.

Post #3   1/30/09 11:46:09AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Posted by Pyrenus

So you'd prefer seeing "entertaining" fights rather than the best fighters fight?

I think Kimbo still has some youtube vids you can check out.

unwarranted.

There are a lot of fighters who's fights often go to decisions... griffin, fitch, guida, henderson... and thats because they're tough fighters who fight tough fighters in tough matches... the kinds of matches where both opponents take a lot of damage, but because of their heart and will, they always manage to last to the bell.

The reason why machida goes to decisions is because he's a master of parrying away when his opponent engages. Not in a single one of his fights has he been put in any kind of situation where there was a risk of him being finished. He's good at that, probably the best, and its a very legitimate skill to have and to be proud of as a fighter. My personal knock on machida is that he gives up too much on the offensive to make sure he doesnt take damage or give up openings. When i watch a fight, i wanna see a fight, no a clinic on how to evade your opponent.

If we were pre rashad vs liddell then i would've said that liddell would be the perfect opponent to really test and possibly put away machida... a patient count striker with a good reach. Right now I'd put my money on an extreme couture/ greg jackson game plan... if either of those stables put a fighter (including rashad) against machida then i'd bet against machida.

Post #4   1/30/09 12:09:35PM   

Chrrowley

Learning to Sprawl

Chrrowley Avatar

Career:447-284
Chips:
So Machida should put himself in a position where he is at risk of being finished simply to entertain you?

Post #5   1/30/09 12:23:29PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
its a fight not a track meet.....everybody seems to love Machida but when Kalib did that crap everyone was all over him.

Dont be angry with me because I want to see guys fight who actually want to fight. And yes I would rather see entertaining guys then Machida. Just my thoughts on the guy.

Post #6   1/30/09 12:33:38PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
to equalize machida's effective fighting style with kalib starnes runaway train against quarry is ridiculous. machida hurt all of his opponents and was close finishing most of them without taking damage himself. Effectively using openings and mostly just getting out of reach of the opponent on a high level is very entertaining to everyone, who really understands standup fighting, especially the martial arts tactics of karate. Those who don't seem to be in it for the violent spectacle and not for the sport.

Post #7   1/30/09 12:50:44PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Some people in this therad have clearly NEVER seen Machida fight.......

Post #8   1/30/09 1:03:17PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:

Posted by sparky

its a fight not a track meet.....everybody seems to love Machida but when Kalib did that crap everyone was all over him.

Dont be angry with me because I want to see guys fight who actually want to fight. And yes I would rather see entertaining guys then Machida. Just my thoughts on the guy.

I see a difference between Starnes and Machida. When Kalib was taunted for running away, he flipped Quarry the bird. After the fight, he even said somethign to the effect of "the ufc ain't paying me enough to get knocked out."

When Machida was taunted by Tito, he dropped him when a knee to the liver.

I think a lot of people like Machida because he is a bit of an underdog. He's 13-0 with wins over Stephan Bonnar, Rich Franklin, BJ Penn and Tito Ortiz. He's got to be one of the most deserving fighters to have never fought for a title.

I won't disagree with you that his fights aren't the most exciting. He is talented though, and he's very good at what he does.

Post #9   1/30/09 1:45:17PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

No kidding. Comparisons the the Kalib Starnes/Nate Quarry fight are ridiculous. The guy is evasive, not a runner. He almost finished Tito with knees to the liver, something I don't think you can do when running from someone. The guy picks his spots and avoids damage, that's good fighting...I don't know what else I can say. It's more entertaining to me than someone laying on an opponent for three rounds to outpoint.

Post #10   1/30/09 1:49:37PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by MMAcca

No kidding. Comparisons the the Kalib Starnes/Nate Quarry fight are ridiculous. The guy is evasive, not a runner. He almost finished Tito with knees to the liver, something I don't think you can do when running from someone. The guy picks his spots and avoids damage, that's good fighting...I don't know what else I can say. It's more entertaining to me than someone laying on an opponent for three rounds to outpoint.

Damn right. These peoiple need to look up his older fights. Check him KO'ing Frankiln in 1min 3 secs.

The same will happen to Silva tomorrow as Silva will try to trade. It really suprises me to hear fans of Chuck complaining about Machida. In Chucks recent fights he has hardly thrown a kick. All he has had is boxing (slack at that) and takedown defence. Machida is a true martial artist.

Post #11   1/30/09 2:27:16PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,244-1,261
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Every time he fights and wins, his style becomes more fascinating to me. It becomes a question of "Just how do you beat this style?". Like it or not, it's a riddle that has to be solved. The more fights it takes to solve it, the more amazing it is.

Post #12   1/30/09 2:40:16PM   

burialchamber

Standup Guy

burialchamber Avatar

Career:287-139
Chips:
I think Machida's fights are fascinating. I'm much more interested in seeing technical fights than slugfests. Obviously, though, that's the exact opposite of what most of the US fans want.

Post #13   1/30/09 2:47:15PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Posted by Chrrowley

So Machida should put himself in a position where he is at risk of being finished simply to entertain you?

is that what i said? turn down the ignorance.

I have a lot of respect for machida, and like many others, which each fight i become more and more interested in how you solve his style. But like i said, he is very tentative offensively... he evades until his opponents create openings, then he attacks and pulls back. My issue with his style is that the openings which machida takes advantage of are created because his opponents feel that creating that opening is the only way to engage him... and in many ways they're right.

the analogy that i've used is when you're playing a first person shooter and you have yourself holed up in a corner and the only way someone can get a clean shot at you is by putting themselves right in your sights... through that strategy, you'll always have the advantage of being set up knowing where your opponent will be, and ready to fire.

The problem with machida's style is that unless he adjusts... he NEEDS his opponent to engage. If you put someone up against him who had the patience for machida to engage them... we'd probably see a different fight. The problem with that is what happens if machida wont engage because thats not his style? at that point we might get a sanchez vs koscheck fight

And for the record, starnes vs quarry was an embarassment to mma... as much as I'd like to see machida start to finish more of his fights, the two should not be mentioned in the same sentence

Post #14   1/30/09 5:04:37PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:

machida's style is his own and most of the time it's not that exciting but damn it's sure been effective.

Post #15   1/30/09 5:11:06PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2