Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rumor: Affliction is DONE...

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Affliction MMA is Done.

Tom Atencio will be making an announcement soon.

A third show will probably happen to fulfill Affliction Entertainments larger contract obligations unless a deal with Zuffa can be arranged to offset some of the costs while Affliction pays off their contract obligations via "sponsorships"...

link

Post #1   1/29/09 11:42:20PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,944-989
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Great news !! well i hope it is real !!

WAR UFC !!

Post #2   1/29/09 11:44:24PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Didn't see that coming.

Post #3   1/29/09 11:45:56PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

WAR UFC !!

Not really great news IMO. I think that there needs to be a promotion to challenge the UFC, I just don't think that it will be Affliction. They bleed money big time.

In a "dream" scenario, I would hope that DREAM and Sengoku merge, and rise to challenge the UFC's supremacy (like old PRIDE).

Post #4   1/29/09 11:47:05PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by breakdown5

Posted by tuvok500

WAR UFC !!

Not really great news IMO. I think that there needs to be a promotion to challenge the UFC, I just don't think that it will be Affliction. They bleed money big time.

In a "dream" scenario, I would hope that DREAM and Sengoku merge, and rise to challenge the UFC's supremacy (like old PRIDE).

I say you can always DREAM !!

But i am a guy who want the UFC to become like NFL, NHL, MLB, so i really just want to see all the top fighters under the same rules in the same UFC cage with the champs being the real champs, without the ******* " yeah but if that guy was there etc"... that's it.

Last edited 1/29/09 11:52PM server time by tuvok500
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   1/29/09 11:49:59PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by breakdown5

Posted by tuvok500

WAR UFC !!

But i am a guy who want the UFC to become like NFL, NHL, MLB, so i really just want to see all the top fighters under the same rules in the same UFC cage with the champs being the real champs, that's it.

I agree that it eventually needs to come to that point. But I would like to see a few more developments in fighter rights (like a fighter union for example) before the UFC ultimately destroys every other org that rises to challenge them. It is almost a foregone conclusion that the UFC will be the premier MMA organization.

Resistance is useless.

Post #6   1/29/09 11:53:27PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by breakdown5

Posted by tuvok500

WAR UFC !!

But i am a guy who want the UFC to become like NFL, NHL, MLB, so i really just want to see all the top fighters under the same rules in the same UFC cage with the champs being the real champs, wothout a maybe if that guy was there etc... that's it.

Fighters get leverage in those sports because teams compete for contracts. Not the same if UFC becomes sole possessor of MMA credibility and title legitimacy; fighters will get paid whatever Zuffa decides and be exploited by Zuffa just because Zuffa can get away with it. That's not good for the sport.

WAR MIXED MARTIAL ARTISTS!!!

EDIT: Besides, dream matchups are no longer dream matchups when the UFC makes them every month. The wishful thinking helps.

Last edited 1/29/09 11:55PM server time by lohmann

Post #7   1/29/09 11:54:24PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,113-723
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:

Posted by breakdown5

Posted by tuvok500

WAR UFC !!

I would like to see that as well. However if UFC keeps their same ethics, i wouldnt mind seeing that monopoly either. It sounds strange but as long as the UFC is being run as it has, i'd have no problem with it being the only top level organization, like an NFL, NHL, NBA.

Both DREAM and PRIDE have shady histories with their fighters, Elite XC and Affliction seem to be more and more like corrupt boxing promoters. And i think UFC has a strong enough set of morals and respect to the sport to still put on big cards and treat fighters fairly if they were the only big show.

Post #8   1/29/09 11:58:16PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Chips:

An insider at Zuffa told me, "the only way Zuffa will settle is with some sort of equity stake in Affliction (clothing).

How crazy would that be? They had a good thing going by sponsoring fighters in the UFC. They try to challenge Zuffa at their own game, resulting in lost revenues when UFC bans the clothing and a huge debt from having non-profitable events. Now, if this happens, the company that originally had no beef with them would own part of them. Talk about the ultimate kick to the nuts.

Post #9   1/29/09 11:59:28PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,113-723
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

But i am a guy who want the UFC to become like NFL, NHL, MLB, so i really just want to see all the top fighters under the same rules in the same UFC cage with the champs being the real champs, without the ******* " yeah but if that guy was there etc"... that's it.

beat me too it with the NFL, NHL, MLB statement

Post #10   1/30/09 12:00:11AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Posted by tuvok500

I'd be all for it if Dana wasn't the guy in charge and it was someone who gave you basic human rights. Now we'll start the debate! haha.

Post #11   1/30/09 12:02:41AM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Posted by tuvok500

I'd be all for it if Dana wasn't the guy in charge and it was someone who gave you basic human rights. Now we'll start the debate! haha.

Dana is the reason why the UFC is where it is now, maybe you don't like him but he is for sure the best guy for the job.
As for the human right, clearly you are not well informed, Dana is the nicest guy on earth, well just barely above me !!
Basic right is something Elite/XC are against when they try to stop fighters for winning their life in fighting elsewhere since they can no longer give them fights.

Last edited 1/30/09 12:11AM server time by tuvok500
2 total post edits

Post #12   1/30/09 12:07:49AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Dana is the reason why the UFC is where it is now, maybe you don't like him but he is for sure the best guy for the job.
As for the human right, clearly you are not well informed, Dana is the nicest guy on earth, well just barely above me !!
Basic right is something Elite/XC are against when they try to stop fighters for winning their life in fighting elsewhere since they can no longer give them fights.

I would reply but that made no sense to me lol.

Post #13   1/30/09 12:12:32AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Chips:
This is sad news if true but right now its just rumor. I cant say I will be shocked if this is true as they were dumping millions out with very little coming back. They can make stuff up about how ticket sales were fine but it was clear that they were way low. I wouldn't be shocked either if their PPV numbers weren't that great as well.

If true what killed them is a few things.
1. Lack of marketing - They hardly marketed their events if at all. Word of mouth is not the best way to advertise a event that's cost you huge amounts to put on.

2. Partnership deals they made were costing them money and not helping their company at all. Trump, Golden Boy, and M1. All these deals cost them tons of money.

3. No real big draws on your cards. The biggest draw they had was Arlovski and he doesn't have huge drawing power like Tito, Chuck, Randy, and so on.

4. Over paying fighters - You cant pay a fighter $1,500,000 when they aren't a huge draw.

Lets really look at this.
Fedor Emelianenko $300,000 (which we know he got payed more from M1.) He maybe the greatest MMA fight today but he isn't a huge draw.

Andre Arlovski $1,500,000 - The guy maybe your biggest draw but he isn't a 1.5mil worth of drawing power.

Josh Barnett $500,000 - Also another great fighter with very little drawing power.

Matt Lindland $225,000 - Also another over payed fighter that is skilled but has very little drawing power and is called a boring fighter by most that do know him.

Just these 4 fighters alone made 2,525,000. Most likely the amount payed to Fedor is far below what he was really payed. Also this doesn't even take into account if they gave any of these fighters a cut of the PPV sales or backstage bonus.

5. They tried to do to much to fast.

Last edited 1/30/09 12:37AM server time by telnights
3 total post edits

Post #14   1/30/09 12:34:51AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

As much as some people love to hate him he is the best guy for the job hands down. He has done more for MMA in the US than almost anyone. The only people that have done more are the Gracie family. People seam to think Dana makes all the choices in the company which isn't true at all he does have 2 people above him. I don't think Dana has a problem with human rights. He just isn't bending over for people and is looking out for whats best for the UFC. Which any smart biz man does. He is doing something right because so far there has been 3 major MMA company's with big bank roles come and go. But the UFC is making money and that's something no other MMA company has been able to do yet.

Post #15   1/30/09 12:45:53AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3