Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

being a karo fan its hard to say...

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by theguido

Is this fight still on?

Just because MMAmania spouts some rumors and speculation, doesn't mean this fight is off.

Post #16   1/30/09 2:16:47PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
his panic attacks do worry me and the fact he might not even fight who knows even if he doesn't they will add the fitch fight instead win/win situation

Post #17   1/30/09 6:58:10PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
I said this in my camp forums but ill repeat the idea here.

I think the UFC is setting up Karo to lose. First he was suppossed to fight Yoshida and now they give him Kim. What are the chances of getting two Asian fighters in a row? There are so few Asian fighters in the UFC that its incredibly unlikely.

This is significant because Asian fighters will know how to counter Judo. If youve fought on the lower rungs of the Asian fight scene youve run into guys that know Judo. If you arent a Judoka yourself, there are definately guys in your camp that are. Its a style that they will definately be ready for. I cant say the same for most American fighters. Its just not something that you expect to come up against at lower levels of the American fight scene.

So in a nutshell, I think the UFC is looking to cut Karo and looking for an excuse to do so, namely having him lose to an up and comer in a relatively big upset.

Still not sure if im going to pick that way though.

Post #18   1/31/09 12:34:19PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by rabbit915

I said this in my camp forums but ill repeat the idea here.

I think the UFC is setting up Karo to lose. First he was suppossed to fight Yoshida and now they give him Kim. What are the chances of getting two Asian fighters in a row? There are so few Asian fighters in the UFC that its incredibly unlikely.

This is significant because Asian fighters will know how to counter Judo. If youve fought on the lower rungs of the Asian fight scene youve run into guys that know Judo. If you arent a Judoka yourself, there are definately guys in your camp that are. Its a style that they will definately be ready for. I cant say the same for most American fighters. Its just not something that you expect to come up against at lower levels of the American fight scene.

So in a nutshell, I think the UFC is looking to cut Karo and looking for an excuse to do so, namely having him lose to an up and comer in a relatively big upset.

Still not sure if im going to pick that way though.

Well thought out conspiracy theory, but why would they have just signed him to an 8 fight extension a few days after his back out of the Yoshida fight?

Post #19   1/31/09 12:36:58PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
Its not really a conspiracy theory. The UFC does have an agenda when they book fights. Im not accusing them of tampering with the fights or anything unethical but there are fights where they want a guy to win or lose and they book an opponnent accordingly.

I almost said i wish i could see the details of his contract to add more evidence but you may have countered my arguement. Eight fights is a lot though. That doesnt seem right to me.

Post #20   1/31/09 1:18:36PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by rabbit915

Its not really a conspiracy theory. The UFC does have an agenda when they book fights. Im not accusing them of tampering with the fights or anything unethical but there are fights where they want a guy to win or lose and they book an opponnent accordingly.

I almost said i wish i could see the details of his contract to add more evidence but you may have countered my arguement. Eight fights is a lot though. That doesnt seem right to me.

i see what you are getting at, and i wouldn't put it past Dana to try and make matchups to try and manipulate the division, but this is a match up where Karo is favored imo. Karo uses wrestling a lot more than he uses his Judo. he should be able to use his wrestling here to control Kim because even if Kim's Judo is better, wrestling is more important for control over your opponent, and in that department Karo takes it by a mile.

Post #21   1/31/09 1:23:26PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:
OK at the weigh-ins Karo looked very unmotivated IMO, and I'm sticking with Kim on this one because of that

Post #22   1/31/09 1:32:56PM   

Ulfhethnar6

MMA Regular

Ulfhethnar6 Avatar

Career:399-245
Camp: Colon Divers
Chips:
I just can't decide to leave Karo on my parlay bet or not. Tough decision.

Post #23   1/31/09 1:36:59PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by copcopps

OK at the weigh-ins Karo looked very unmotivated IMO, and I'm sticking with Kim on this one because of that

Never seen him at a weigh-in, or before a fight?

Post #24   1/31/09 4:49:52PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I hope Karo takes this one, but he does seem very unprepared. The way Karo is talking you would believe he's had only 12 conditioning sessions in preparation for this fight. I just don't believe he's been sitting home eating milk duds. There are plenty of places to train in North Hollywood so I'm assuming he's still putting in some time over at Gokor & Gene Lebell's Hayastan.

Just on pure ability Karo should win--maybe win the first two rounds--and lose the third. As long as Karo can keep top position he should have it locked up. If he gets put on his back though, Kim has absolutely vicious GnP and could overwhelm Karo.

I doubt there will be much Judo involved in this matchup...which is disheartening for me...but we'll probably see Karo using a body lock and working for his trademark kimura, mixed in with some elbows.

I think it's crazy that nearly every site has given the advantage in Judo to Yoshida and Kim. He's a six time Junior National champ, and has gone to the qualifier for the Olympics. He's probably been the most succesful at adapting his Judo to MMA as well...obviously Judo is a much bigger sport in Asia--but I really don't think there's that big a gap between them.

Post #25   1/31/09 6:39:48PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
Yoshida and Kim could very well be better judo guys than Karo (I really dont know) but its not even the judo that matters or even the wrestling its the judo without the gi, karos mastered it and i dont know about kim Kim might be able to stand with karo looking at the weighs ins and the reach diff. I personally thought (still kind of do) that karo has been workin out non-stop, i always believed he worked at it but not to his full potential, alot of bad things have been said for karo for some reason, things like him not really being injured against yoshida are just speculation with no backing and have no warrant.

but I was unimpressed when I saw him at the weighins I was expecting Karo to maybe look a little more ripped and look more athletic just as a sign of how hard hes workin doesnt look so...but hes been pretty good without it so we will see in a few hours

Post #26   1/31/09 7:17:34PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by copcopps

Never seen him at a weigh-in, or before a fight?

He had his head down and wasn't really smiling, that's a sign of low confidence

Post #27   1/31/09 8:50:05PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2