Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jamie Varner put his body through Hell

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“My medical bills are going to be way more than what I made in this fight. I had to get a bunch of X-Rays done, a CAT scan, I had to go get surgery on my hand, I’m gonna have to get my foot casted, I have to go back to the doctor and have my eyes checked out again, all that stuff adds up. It’s crazy that people can sit there and talk **** about me when they have no idea what I did [on Sunday night]. I laid it all on the line, I put my body through Hell. My hand’s broken, I can barely walk, my foot’s broken, I’m on crutches and I got a cast on my hand. I don’t know what the hell people wanted from me. It’s crazy.”

LINK

Post #1   1/28/09 1:27:26PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
As much as i dislike Varner he does have a solid point here.....

Post #2   1/28/09 1:35:11PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
people don't understand the severity of any in-fight injury, let alone all of the injuries Jamie sustained in his fight with Cerrone. it is easy for people to be keyboard warriors and say that it was a p*ssy move for him to say he couldn't continue, but unless you have had both your foot and hand broken during a fight and then had a blow that disrupted your vision, you don't know how he felt. why should he have taken the risk with all of those injuries to lose the fight, i mean at the professional level if you have blurred vision, not to mention broken appendages, you are in serious danger of getting finished.

Post #3   1/28/09 1:39:29PM   

MattHughesRules

MMA Regular

MattHughesRules Avatar

Career:710-388
Camp: Tapout or Passout
Chips:
I agree that Varner fighting with a broken hand and foot is very gutsy. I think that many times fans judge the severity of a fighters injuries without knowing anything about the facts, which is rediculous. My question in this fight did he use the called illegal strike to get out of the fight because of the hand and foot injuries? Or did he really have blurred vision as he said? To be honest I didn't think the knee looked that bad but obviously nobody cranked me in the head with a knee.

I guess in the end I think that no matter what it was going to a decision that Varner was going to win. It was a great fight though and would have been nice to see it finished up. Props to Cerrone....real tough guy!

Post #4   1/28/09 2:21:24PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
wont zuffa pay for his medical bills ?

Post #5   1/28/09 2:35:52PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

I remember an interview a while ago says they pay for all fighters medical expenses. It was after Hill snapped his leg I think. Id presume the fighters in the WEC get the same treatment, but it doesnt sound like that by what Jamies saying.

Post #6   1/28/09 2:41:33PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by loller90278

I remember an interview a while ago says they pay for all fighters medical expenses. It was after Hill snapped his leg I think. Id presume the fighters in the WEC get the same treatment, but it doesnt sound like that by what Jamies saying.

I'd be willing to bet that it's based on the extent/seriousness of the injuries.

Bummer for Varner, though. Like it was mentioned above...it's easy to be a keyboard warrior but 99% of the people here would cry like bitches if they were in the situation he was in.

Last edited 1/28/09 2:45PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   1/28/09 2:44:43PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Yeah, man all them injuries, he is a broken warrior, I liked his preformence though.

Post #8   1/28/09 3:04:12PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by loller90278

All medicial expenses are payed by the org, when the injuries happened in the cage, at least that's what i heard. Injuries in training are the fighters problem.

Post #9   1/28/09 3:29:42PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Varner chose the job,he knows how bad he can get hurt in there.Stop cryin already.

WB.

Post #10   1/28/09 3:30:39PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Varner chose the job,he knows how bad he can get hurt in there.Stop cryin already.

WB.

Would you fight? Come on man, everytime I see you post you seem to do stuff like this.

Post #11   1/28/09 3:45:39PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
But Varner is a smart guy (and a fantastic fighter BTW),who choose his profession.Despite what he says,Zuffa policy says any injury that occurs in the cage is covered 100%,so it's not costing him anything other than pain (and I know how it feels,esp. the ankle).

WB.

Last edited 1/29/09 7:03AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: Fighter bashing

Post #12   1/28/09 4:11:36PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i think thats pretty over the top WB, theres no need to call anyone names, he just asked a question. and i think that the people that talk about fighters giving up are in most cases going to do it whether a fighter says he has a broken foot or hand, or takes an illegal blow. people will always be devils advocates and conspiracy theorists.

EDIT: oops just saw the "a" in there, i thought you were calling him a p*ssy, lol.

Last edited 1/29/09 7:04AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #13   1/28/09 4:20:36PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:

Posted by XblacksheepX

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by loller90278

All medicial expenses are payed by the org, when the injuries happened in the cage, at least that's what i heard. Injuries in training are the fighters problem.

im not a 100% on this, but word around the horn is that zuffa does pay for it, but in a reimbursement style...so it comes out of your pocket and you send them a bill.....doesnt make to much sense, so if im wrong let me know

Post #14   1/28/09 4:34:41PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

people don't understand the severity of any in-fight injury, let alone all of the injuries Jamie sustained in his fight with Cerrone. it is easy for people to be keyboard warriors and say that it was a p*ssy move for him to say he couldn't continue, but unless you have had both your foot and hand broken during a fight and then had a blow that disrupted your vision, you don't know how he felt. why should he have taken the risk with all of those injuries to lose the fight, i mean at the professional level if you have blurred vision, not to mention broken appendages, you are in serious danger of getting finished.

yes, but the major point here is he sustained those injuries (hand foot, what not) through legal moves in the fight. and not from the glancing knee.

so how much of his injury was sustained from the glancing knee that didnt appear to do a lot of damage?

stopping from injuries sustained legally in the fight is a loss, unable to continue.

blaming those injuries on a knee, and taking a dq, or a decision is another issue entirely.

that is what the complaints are about.

Post #15   1/28/09 5:26:05PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2