Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Randy's Take On GSP Vs Penn

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,899-1,095
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight and light heavyweight titleholder Randy "The Natural" Couture has made a name for himself by his performances in big fights in the UFC Octagon. He's defied Father Time over and over while proving his critics wrong time and again.

Almost as boisterous as his in-cage accolades are his fight breakdowns. "The Natural" has an uncanny ability to make accurate fight picks, including correctly predicting some of the biggest upsets in recent years.

Couture gave his analysis of the UFC 94 main event, the rematch between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn, exclusively for MMAWeekly.com.

LINK

Post #1   1/28/09 1:25:33PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I agree 100% with Randy on this one.

Post #2   1/28/09 1:54:36PM   

GSPwnzore

Learning to Sprawl

Career:131-73
Camp: Flying Kimboplata
Chips:
I also agree, but ill love seeing GSP shut penn's mouth.

Post #3   1/28/09 2:14:57PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Couture said they same thing everybody else has been saying, at least if you read between the lines. He said he likes GSP in a FIVE ROUND TITLE FIGHT, in that fight. I think he is hedging a little here. I am not sure he is as confident if it where only a three rounder.

Post #4   1/28/09 6:23:36PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Says the guy with with a GSP avatar and the guy with GSP in his screen name

WAR BJ

Post #5   1/28/09 6:24:03PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
I heavily disagree with Randy, who needs cardio when you knock someone out in under 2 rounds.

BJ ftw, history will be made this saturday.

Post #6   1/28/09 6:26:30PM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:
I see gsp wearing down penns lazy ass and pulling off a sub in the champ rounds. he wont stop till the bell rings and its gonna be too much for penn to handle. bj seems to think hes gonna be facing the same guy from 3 years ago. penn is the same guy with a little more motivation in his training. that would beat gsp 3 years ago no problem. but georges stand up, wrestling and submission have grown leaps and bounds. WAR GSP!!

Post #7   1/28/09 6:34:46PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xAcidburNx

I see gsp wearing down penns lazy ass and pulling off a sub in the champ rounds. he wont stop till the bell rings and its gonna be too much for penn to handle. bj seems to think hes gonna be facing the same guy from 3 years ago. penn is the same guy with a little more motivation in his training. that would beat gsp 3 years ago no problem. but georges stand up, wrestling and submission have grown leaps and bounds. WAR GSP!!

GSP has good striking but its not great and he wont submit BJ (who was the last person GSP submitted, not being sarcastic I'm really drawing a blank)

His wrestiling is his best strength, best chance he has is GNP but he wont get it. BJ will sub him before he gets the chance

Post #8   1/28/09 6:44:17PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
pulling off a sub? seriously?

I don't know, I more or less agree with Randy, but I also think this is a much more in-shape BJ and we can't really take his previous performances at higher weights when he wasn't training nearly as hard as an accurate representation of how he will perform now that he's taking it seriously.

That being said I still have to lean towards GSP JUST because it's a 5 round fight. I think it's very likely that GSP takes round 4 and 5 and all he'll have to do is get one of the other 3 rounds according to 2 judges if that's the case. If the fight ends early I see BJ winning, if it goes to a decision I see GSP winning. I've switched my pick back and forth a few times already...

Still leaning towards GSP but the more I go over it the more naturally talented I think BJ is in just about every area except wrestling, but his flexibility and balance have compensated for that in the past. Now that he appears to really be taking his training seriously, those natural abilities appear to be sharpening. I can definitely see BJ catching GSP with a stiff jab when he tries one of his silly superman punch-kick combos and putting him away.

I think those superman punches are going to result in his next loss, he throws them way too often, they look neat but they really don't carry much power, and they leave him wide open.

Post #9   1/28/09 6:53:18PM   

im2fast4u1981

MMA Regular

im2fast4u1981 Avatar

Career:254-142
Camp: Team Xtrem Mma
Chips:
I ve never seen a fight where people are so 50/50...but hell there both badass fighters future hall of famers...i think everyone would say gsp in later rounds...his cardio is insane...but if it only last one or two???im saying bj...by tko 2nd round,,,cant wait for this fight its gonna be badass

Post #10   1/28/09 7:58:13PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by xAcidburNx

GSP has good striking but its not great and he wont submit BJ (who was the last person GSP submitted, not being sarcastic I'm really drawing a blank)

His wrestiling is his best strength, best chance he has is GNP but he wont get it. BJ will sub him before he gets the chance

Actually Matt Hughes, via flying judo armbar. Not saying he'll pull a sub, but if anyone in the world could, it's GSP.

Post #11   1/28/09 8:56:36PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by xAcidburNx

Actually Matt Hughes, via flying judo armbar. Not saying he'll pull a sub, but if anyone in the world could, it's GSP.

I'd say if anyone could it would be more likely to be someone like shinya aoki.

Post #12   1/28/09 9:13:21PM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Post #13   1/28/09 11:12:38PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by xAcidburNx

Ha ha thanks I dont know why my mind wouldnt bring that up....if I remember correctly Hughes was verbally tapping too. Thanks man

Post #14   1/29/09 3:18:40AM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:

Posted by Aether

pulling off a sub? seriously?

I don't know, I more or less agree with Randy, but I also think this is a much more in-shape BJ and we can't really take his previous performances at higher weights when he wasn't training nearly as hard as an accurate representation of how he will perform now that he's taking it seriously.

That being said I still have to lean towards GSP JUST because it's a 5 round fight. I think it's very likely that GSP takes round 4 and 5 and all he'll have to do is get one of the other 3 rounds according to 2 judges if that's the case. If the fight ends early I see BJ winning, if it goes to a decision I see GSP winning. I've switched my pick back and forth a few times already...

Still leaning towards GSP but the more I go over it the more naturally talented I think BJ is in just about every area except wrestling, but his flexibility and balance have compensated for that in the past. Now that he appears to really be taking his training seriously, those natural abilities appear to be sharpening. I can definitely see BJ catching GSP with a stiff jab when he tries one of his silly superman punch-kick combos and putting him away.

I think those superman punches are going to result in his next loss, he throws them way too often, they look neat but they really don't carry much power, and they leave him wide open.

pretty sure he almost knocked matt highes out with one before he was saved by the bell

Post #15   1/29/09 5:03:22AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2