Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Houston Alexander returns at UFC 98 against Andre Gusmao

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC light heavyweight Houston Alexander (8-4 MMA, 2-3 UFC) will look to end a three-fight losing streak when he meets Andre Gusmao (5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at UFC 98.

A source close to Alexander told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that both fighters have agreed to the fight and that bout agreements are close to finalized.

LINK

Post #1   1/28/09 1:06:12AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I mean this as a serious question:

Who cares?*

(Not spam. For real.)

Post #2   1/28/09 1:45:16AM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,384-1,742
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
^I do not

On that note, Gusmao by whatever...

Post #3   1/28/09 2:16:29AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Who cares?*

(Not spam. For real.)

I do. Thank you. Come again.

Post #4   1/28/09 8:13:42AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by lohmann

Who cares?*

(Not spam. For real.)

I do. Thank you. Come again.

Well we're up to one...

In all seriousness should be a good battle of styles. I'm not sure Gusmao has the takedowns to put Houston on his back, so I'll probably take Huston in this one.

Last edited 1/28/09 8:41AM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   1/28/09 8:39:14AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:
+1

Post #6   1/28/09 9:02:38AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Chips:
I think it's hilarious that someone like Houston comes in to the UFC and wins a few fights in dominating fashion and IMMEDIATELY, everyone is swinging from his sack. Then he goes on a losing streak and the "fans" disappear.

There's a term for that...bandwagon jumper.*

Houston is a one-dimensional striker. He knows that. Everyone knows that. There are lots of one-dimensional fighters in MMA and I'll root for some of them, too.

He's also one of the classiest guys in the world of MMA and I'm always excited to watch the guy fight, whether he wins OR loses.

* Like the ****-ton of "lifelong" Cardinals fans that are starting to pop up everywhere now that they're in the Superbowl. Give me a break.

Last edited 1/28/09 9:10AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   1/28/09 9:07:39AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I think it's hilarious that someone like Houston comes in to the UFC and wins a few fights in dominating fashion and IMMEDIATELY, everyone is swinging from his sack. Then he goes on a losing streak and the "fans" disappear.

Houston is a one-dimensional striker. He knows that. Everyone knows that. There are lots of one-dimensional fighters in MMA and I'll root for some of them, too.

He's also one of the classiest guys in the world of MMA and I'm always excited to watch the guy fight, whether he wins OR loses.

* Like the ****-ton of "lifelong" Cardinals fans that are starting to pop up everywhere now that they're in the Superbowl. Give me a break.

every time someone talks about meeting alexander(including a fighter that i know that fought him) they have nothing but great things to say about him. to me that makes a fighter, athlete, or person in general more appealing, and althoguh we all know houston isnt the best fighter in the world, that counts for something in my book. not to mention, when he fights, win or lose, its an exciting fight.

Post #8   1/28/09 9:20:35AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by emfleek

every time someone talks about meeting alexander(including a fighter that i know that fought him) they have nothing but great things to say about him. to me that makes a fighter, athlete, or person in general more appealing, and althoguh we all know houston isnt the best fighter in the world, that counts for something in my book. not to mention, when he fights, win or lose, its an exciting fight.

Yep, me and the wife met him back at 77. I've met several fighters, but he's made the best impression on me so far...very down to earth and humble. I enjoy watching his fights, whether he wins or loses.

Post #9   1/28/09 9:48:34AM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

yeah bandwagon jumpers suck, i should know, im a recovering one, i had to go to bja...bandwagon jumpers annyonmus.......6 years clean tho!......all seriouness, i was never sold on alexander as a fighter, his wins just show how crazy of a world mma is as opposed to his level of talent....hes an exciting fighter for sure, and always always always represents himself with class and integrity which is alot more than i can say for alot of the fighters out there.......that being said, if he loses (which i think he will, similar to the schafer fight) he needs to be out of the ufc...exciting or not, its not fair (and i know fair isnt always the case with the ufc haha) that he loses 3 straight by first rd stoppage and is still fighting, alot of better fighters have lost 2 straight and not been invited back over the years.......on a side note: yeah, i didnt even realize that arizona had a football team until they started this playoff run...and i live in arizona!!!! ...sarcasm aside, its unbelievable how many people down here were shitting on them and suddenly are now theyre biggest fans

Post #10   1/28/09 9:56:42AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
last three picks i am 0-3 with him against a bjj dude i might pick andre

Post #11   1/28/09 10:38:11AM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
I would have to imagine that he must know to survive in todays UFC or any other MMA organization he needs sub defense and take down defense so I would hope his camp is working his wrestling and his Sub defense pretty heavily..
he already has the popularity to be marketed I think thats why Dana is keeping him around but if he gets flattened out and owned on the mat again it might be the end of him in the UFC anyways..

Personally I hope he wins..

Post #12   1/28/09 11:04:00AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Loser leaves match.

Post #13   1/28/09 1:27:17PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
well when i met him the dude was one of the nicest and personable fighters i have ever had the pleasure of interacting with. i will always root for him, but emfleek is right he is clearly a one dimensional fighter that really has to win this fight in order to stay in the UFC. but hey, my favorite fighter is one of the most one-dimensional fighters out there, and if Houston can find a way to make it work like Aoki does than good for him. i'll be pulling for Houston but he is going to have to really dig deep in order to come out on top in this one.

Post #14   1/28/09 1:27:36PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
I really thought they should have done Houston vs. Mark Coleman as the main event for the UFN 18 card.One dimensional striker vs. one dimensional grappler,each guy has a good shot at winning,each guy NEEDS the win.

I don't see any way that Houston can win this fight outside of pulling off a vintage Keith Jardine performance.Gusmao is going to come out,shoot for a takedown within the first 30 seconds,and get a sub within the first 3 minutes of the fight.It's that simple.The blueprint on how to beat Houston has already been laid out for everyone,and anyone with halfway decent BJJ will be able to do so.

WB.

Post #15   1/28/09 3:36:21PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2